TIL: Today I Learned... (4 Viewers)

are standard transmissions becoming obsolete?
Yes. The new transmissions are so much better performing than a manual shift it's not even close anymore. The C8 DCT is actually in 2 gears at once applying constant power while shifting in a fraction of the time a manual would take. They didn't develop a manual because the demand for them is so low they could never recoup R&D costs.

Yes. The new transmissions are so much better performing than a manual shift it's not even close anymore. The C8 DCT is actually in 2 gears at once applying constant power while shifting in a fraction of the time a manual would take. They didn't develop a manual because the demand for them is so low they could never recoup R&D costs.
but they are so boring. at least dct is better than sheetbox cvts.

I love a good manual, when on the open road able to aggressively downshift into a corner and then powering out. That happens about never tho since well BTR traffic is essentially one long parking lot during business hours. Having to work a clutch around here is not exciting, it's repetitive and annoying 99.99999% of the time. My C7 I could drop into track mode and it would shift as well as a manual or I could try to use the paddles, they just aren't the same tho.

I really wish for a sports car, I could get a stick style shift instead of the paddles. Honestly tho, the first gear went by too fast to even attempt to shift it manually. Between launch and shift I didn't have enough time to consider the RPM's and shift point so would hit the rev limit. With the launch control, it was pretty amazing anyway.

I also suspect that with the advent of the new electric motor's I'm reading about transmissions will be a thing of the past for most applications.

I love a good manual, when on the open road able to aggressively downshift into a corner and then powering out. That happens about never tho since well BTR traffic is essentially one long parking lot during business hours. Having to work a clutch around here is not exciting, it's repetitive and annoying 99.99999% of the time. My C7 I could drop into track mode and it would shift as well as a manual or I could try to use the paddles, they just aren't the same tho.

I really wish for a sports car, I could get a stick style shift instead of the paddles. Honestly tho, the first gear went by too fast to even attempt to shift it manually. Between launch and shift I didn't have enough time to consider the RPM's and shift point so would hit the rev limit. With the launch control, it was pretty amazing anyway.

I also suspect that with the advent of the new electric motor's I'm reading about transmissions will be a thing of the past for most applications.
My Z28 had the short-throw Hurst shifter and heavy-duty clutch. It was so much more engaging and made driving a process, not a spectator event.

CVT's are great, until they aren't. I have a Nissan Rouge and the cvt went out 10,000 miles past warranty. Someone told me they are putting them in more and more cars. I hope not, because i really don't want another car with a cvt.. Before i knew a lot about them, i called a few places to see if they rebuilt them because i didn't wanna drop 5k on new at the dealership. The first couple places i called just kinda laughed at me..lol

CVT's are great, until they aren't. I have a Nissan Rouge and the cvt went out 10,000 miles past warranty. Someone told me they are putting them in more and more cars. I hope not, because i really don't want another car with a cvt.. Before i knew a lot about them, i called a few places to see if they rebuilt them because i didn't wanna drop 5k on new at the dealership. The first couple places i called just kinda laughed at me..lol
Sounds a lot like the old 8-6-4 engine Cadillac made back in 81. It was a disaster of epic proportions.

My car has a CVT and it does not enhance the driving experience. At 180K miles, we're getting to be in the bonus round.

Sounds a lot like the old 8-6-4 engine Cadillac made back in 81. It was a disaster of epic proportions.

There were a lot of good things about the 80s, but that was probably the worst decade of Caddy's existence. I'm a pretty big Caddy fan, but the 80s were horrific from beginning to end for Cadillac.

There were a lot of good things about the 80s, but that was probably the worst decade of Caddy's existence. I'm a pretty big Caddy fan, but the 80s were horrific from beginning to end for Cadillac.
I personally don't know anyone who ever owned an 8-6-4. I do remember the commercials during Saints games and others. The spokesman was saying this engine will revolutionize the auto industry

I personally don't know anyone who ever owned an 8-6-4. I do remember the commercials during Saints games and others. The spokesman was saying this engine will revolutionize the auto industry
The word hubris in the article was on point. So yeah, it was hubris. :9:

My grandparents had a 1986 Sedan deVille, and it was actually pretty nice and solid for them. But the styling, even for that time, was really bland.

And yeah, I do remember the 8-6-4 blurb in the commercials that one year. Didn't last long, lol.

Screenshot_20210524-165420_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

It undoubtedly failed at that time, but that tech is now common and working very well. They were just a bit too ambitious.

The next thing in engine tech might be scarier.

f1a1bb576320ea59519abda84b06d36e.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom