TIL: Today I Learned... (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Sometimes you just learn something strange you'd like to share but there is no good place.

TIL: The subreddit /r/marijuanaenthusiasts is actually about trees, dendrology and getting trees identified from pictures. It has this name becase /r/trees was already taken by marijuana enthusiasts who didn't want to give up the name.

Reaction score
In July 1975, Erskine Lawrence Ebbin was knocked off his moped and killed by a taxi in Hamilton, Bermuda. It was the same taxi with the same driver, carrying the same passenger, that had killed his brother Neville in July the previous year. Both brothers were 17 when they died, and had been riding the same moped in the same street.
50 weird years | The Independent

bigdog

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Golf balls that don't have dimples would only go about half as far as golf balls that do have dimples. It's an aerodynamic thing. Also, most golf balls have an average of between about 330 to 500 dimples per ball. 336 dimples used to be the average number of dimples but technology has changed that. Also, not all dimples are the same size or depth anymore.

soupcan dan

blissfully numb
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
my mother died from crashing her car into a tree three years ago---despite the fact i found her in a chair at the retirement village in january.

well, that's what the coroner's report stated after a six month wait.

she also changed her name to raul jiminez sometime before the accident.

Reaction score
In 1944 conscientious objectors went on a starvation diet for 1 year to help us learn how to bring people back from the brink of starvation. Recently it was restudied and we learned that the Scarcity Trap may explain why some poor people make bad decisions which dig them further into problems.

<iframe src="https://www.npr.org/player/embed/520136937/520885775" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player"></iframe>

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
TIL: Not all comic books are graphic novels but all graphic novels are comic books.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
my mother died from crashing her car into a tree three years ago---despite the fact i found her in a chair at the retirement village in january.

imma go out on a limb and say there's probably more to this story

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
YIL (Yesterday I learned) that the only thing Donald Trump has ever regretted putting the Trump name on is his eldest son.

Credit to some article someone linked on this site.

staphory

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I learned to be a little more patient when heat treating aluminum. I had a stack of 7075 plates that a 100* bend. Thinking I could save time, I took them out of the oven 6 at a time for quenching. Since they were nested together it took too long for the water to reach every piece.
The top and bottom plates are usable. The four in the middle warped pretty badly.
Oops. :covri:

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I learned to be a little more patient when heat treating aluminum. I had a stack of 7075 plates that a 100* bend. Thinking I could save time, I took them out of the oven 6 at a time for quenching. Since they were nested together it took too long for the water to reach every piece.
The top and bottom plates are usable. The four in the middle warped pretty badly.
Not only the warping, but if you were solutionizing them (to eventually take them to T4 condition), if you messed up the quench, they wouldn't age if you were trying to take them to T6 or, in the case of 7075 likely T7X.

One at a time.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
newb

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Everything Else Board 12