TIL: Today I Learned... (7 Viewers)

Ok (so def TiL since I just googled who this was)
But doesn’t new boyfriend look a LOT like Tim Robbins?
Not sure I'd say a LOT but then again I'm trying hard to NOT see it since I know she basically grew up with him.

I take liberties with this thread and misuse the purpose of it, but what else is new.

TIR (today I realized) that when people - usually bad parents - say, "I did the best I could," what they really mean is, "I did what came naturally to me."

Doing your best means weighing all possible outcomes or options that you could attain, then selecting the one that was best for the kids or yourself.

But is that what REALLY happened?

E.g., Dropping out of school because you got pregnant was a choice, but it wasn't the best choice you could've made.

The easiest, perhaps. Not the best. You absolutely could've done better.

I guess that depends on your definition of a bad parent.
I have 1 brother and 2 sisters. Me and my 2 sisters always worked and had mostly normal lives (everyone goes through a rough period, so i am not saying no problems). But my brother was in and out of jail and messed up an drugs from about 17 until he was in his 40s. My brother from a young age was just always a trouble maker. But in a house with 4 kids, why one took the wrong path most his life is unexlainable. During the time he was in trouble continuously, if you only knew my brother you would probably think his parents did a bad job raising him, whch was not the case.
The last 10 year or so years, he has been on the straight and narrow and has had zero problems.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on your definition of a bad parent.
I have 1 brother and 2 sisters. Me and my 2 sisters always worked and had mostly normal lives (everyone goes through a rough period, so i am not saying no problems). But my brother was in and out of jail and messed up an drugs from about 17 until he was in his 40s. My brother from a young age was just always a trouble maker. But in a house with 4 kids, why one took the wrong path most his life is unexlainable. During the time he was in trouble continuously, if you only knew my brother you would probably think his parents did a bad job raising him, whch was not the case.
Regardless of who says it, I don't think it's a literal assessment. It's become a figure of speech. Maybe it's always been and I was the one taking it literally.

But naturally, most people who use it would claim otherwise.

---
Similar to one of those phrases that mean the opposite like "No offense, but..."

I take liberties with this thread and misuse the purpose of it, but what else is new.

TIR (today I realized) that when people - usually bad parents - say, "I did the best I could," what they really mean is, "I did what came naturally to me."

Doing your best means weighing all possible outcomes or options that you could attain, then selecting the one that was best for the kids or yourself.

But is that what REALLY happened?

E.g., Dropping out of school because you got pregnant was a choice, but it wasn't the best choice you could've made.

The easiest, perhaps. Not the best. You absolutely could've done better.
“I did the best I could” is often code for “I did the best I felt like doing”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom