TIL: Today I Learned... (2 Viewers)

i have an 18 year old daughter. I'm sure eventually I'll have to find out the hard way..
maybe i can send this meme to her weekly and it'll have a subliminal effect on her..
I feel pretty validated after reading the article. I had a sister in law who spent 20k+ on a wedding in the 80's. It was a horrible affair rife with disappointment and unmet expectations so much so that it bled over into her honeymoon as well ruining that too. I've told everyone who'd listen after that to skip the wedding spending and go big on the honeymoon. Exactly what the article seems to indicate is right.

I think it has more to do with a person getting too wrapped up in the notion of all their expectations for a blissful wedding. It's like they are trying to buy happiness and when that illusion is shattered, they realize they were in love with the idea of marriage and not the spouse.

I feel pretty validated after reading the article. I had a sister in law who spent 20k+ on a wedding in the 80's. It was a horrible affair rife with disappointment and unmet expectations so much so that it bled over into her honeymoon as well ruining that too. I've told everyone who'd listen after that to skip the wedding spending and go big on the honeymoon. Exactly what the article seems to indicate is right.

I think it has more to do with a person getting too wrapped up in the notion of all their expectations for a blissful wedding. It's like they are trying to buy happiness and when that illusion is shattered, they realize they were in love with the idea of marriage and not the spouse.

I realized this when I was 18. Unless you have just massive amounts of money to waste on a party for all your friends, spending a large amount of money on a big wedding, or having others spend it on you, seems like a bad start to a marriage.

If you have the money to go crazy, fine, but for those who want to go crazy without the finances...those marriages are definitely doomed.

there is such a thing as non expensive weddings?
Get married in your hometown at your childhood church and have the reception in your sister's backyard catered by a retired caterer friend of said sister and do your own food and alcohol shopping. Buy a wedding dress off the rack and have your mother's heirloom diamond solitaire resized and remounted, spend less than $5,000 (albeit 25 years ago), listen to people tell you it was a very low-key but elegant wedding.

Get married in your hometown at your childhood church and have the reception in your sister's backyard catered by a retired caterer friend of said sister and do your own food and alcohol shopping. Buy a wedding dress off the rack and have your mother's heirloom diamond solitaire resized and remounted, spend less than $5,000 (albeit 25 years ago), listen to people tell you it was a very low-key but elegant wedding.
We sort of did the flip - married in a friend’s Uptown backyard/garden. reception-party a few days later at Bacchanal (they were newish and cool with making deals)
Hired a friend’s klezmer band
Danced and drank and noshed

We sort of did the flip - married in a friend’s Uptown backyard/garden. reception-party a few days later at Bacchanal (they were newish and cool with making deals)
Hired a friend’s klezmer band
Danced and drank and noshed
I really appreciate learning a new word and now I know what nosh means… I’d really not known that word before.

JOP in his backyard in Bossier City. Dude had a little alligator in a pond. Don't recall the cost but it couldn't have been much because I was sure enough poor back in 88.

Probably depends on who's actually paying for it. It the couple pays for it, then proceeds to argue later on down the road about why they maxed out their credit cards for a stupid-huge wedding, I can see that. If she's got a rich daddy, maybe not so much.

Unless the father-in-law is constantly on the dude about how much he paid for his little girl to marry him.

Probably depends on who's actually paying for it. It the couple pays for it, then proceeds to argue later on down the road about why they maxed out their credit cards for a stupid-huge wedding, I can see that. If she's got a rich daddy, maybe not so much.

Unless the father-in-law is constantly on the dude about how much he paid for his little girl to marry him.
Possibly, but I still contend that it would matter more why the couple is getting married. Many folks dream about a huge wedding and that is more important to them than the actual relationship so they can lie to themselves and each other to make it happen. I feel like a solid relationship can handle financial stress. If that isn't there, then it's just a matter of time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom