Time for a draft? What say you? (1 Viewer)

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think Charlie Rangel is dead-on. Many others do to, unfortunately, everyone has to look in the mirror when this topic is raised. I will only mention 2 points (Middle class and Quality).

1. (Middle Class=73%) (Indigent/Lower Class=25%..I think) (2%=Upper Class)..the latest Army Times poll.

This one is the main push. The Country is too disconnected from the military (especially those that are in the Three-parts of government). Right now, MOST of our leaders are sending someone else's son/daughter into the fight. Imagine if their decision could affect their very own.

2. (Quality) For those that think it will affect the quality of those serving, believe me, it won't. There are:

(Drug addicted)
Face-it, we have started drug-testing in the recruiting station now, so that we can help the druggies beat the initial test. Once they pass, they are in the Army.

(Rapists)
Here on FH, we have many people that have assault (physical and sexual) in their background checks, but somehow made it through the checks. 60 minutes uncovered that this is also Nationwide.

(Robbery-B/E-Petty theft)
Too many to innumerate.

(Illegal immigrants)
This has been the lifesaver of our recruiting. If it wasn't for illegals in this country, our forces would be bent to breaking status right now. Hey, this is the quickest path to citizenship!

I could name more, but will let others serving tell their stories. Many are serving right now, yet to be caught. Take these guys out of the fray and you have the rest of us that loves the Military and made it a Career. Very Few - I'll admit.

I am for it, we need it and it is well overdue.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Saintshizzle, I agree completely with what your saying. After they get done with their mandatory service they should have to complete step 2. Step 2 will make them all go to third world countries and their job will be to convert everyone to Christianity. They could pass out bibles and speak the word of the lord. That way everyone could be one religion and it would decrease the odds of religious wars.

Brilliant.

covingtondog

No freaking way...
Reaction score
I think that there should be a vote and only the people who are of legal draft age can participate in the vote. I will back the outcome of such a vote with all my heart...

OP
Saintshizzle

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saintshizzle, I agree completely with what your saying. After they get done with their mandatory service they should have to complete step 2. Step 2 will make them all go to third world countries and their job will be to convert everyone to Christianity. They could pass out bibles and speak the word of the lord. That way everyone could be one religion and it would decrease the odds of religious wars.

Brilliant.
Very good counter-argument there B (of course I am returning the sarcasm). Hey, like it or not, this is a conversation that we are going to have more of in this country as long as the war rages.

Canada? Good grief. I would fight in 5 more wars before ever running to another country for anything!

Where is the patriotism Bclemms? Is it simply more patriotic if someone else's blood flows?

psssst - in case you did not know, we have all religions in the military, come check us out one Sunday, I will meet you there with a recruiter..LOL - j/k - I think...

Shiz

OP
Saintshizzle

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think that there should be a vote and only the people who are of legal draft age can participate in the vote. I will back the outcome of such a vote with all my heart...
Retired veterans (20 years or more) should be able to vote on this referedum. Never-the-less, I think that would be fair - the outcome may surprise you.

bclemms

Reaction score
Very good counter-argument there B (of course I am returning the sarcasm). Hey, like it or not, this is a conversation that we are going to have more of in this country as long as the war rages.

Canada? Good grief. I would fight in 5 more wars before ever running to another country for anything!

Where is the patriotism Bclemms? Is it simply more patriotic if someone else's blood flows?

psssst - in case you did not know, we have all religions in the military, come check us out one Sunday, I will meet you there with a recruiter..LOL - j/k - I think...

Shiz

I just don't believe that a draft is the answer as long as it is not necessary. If things get bad enought their will be plenty of volunteers, myself included. I wouldn't run to Canada and try to slide through the cracks if the draft did come about but I would fight the idea tooth and nail. I believe that when you start forcing people to fight that don't want to then you are putting other soldiers at risk and it would also create a split among the country at the time unity is needed most. The best military is a volunteer military and it is much more than a saying. Like I said, if it came down to this country losing a war in which it would effectively lose our democratic society then you wouldn't need a draft and if we are fighting a war that we can't win with our current military and the outcome has no bearing on our countries immediate welfare then we shouldn't be fighting that war. I think it is pretty cut and dry but all the politicians and political party bs wont ever make it that simple.

The last thing I would want to happen is be drafted, sent to another country that isn't an immediate threat to the country because of some bad political agenda then get stuck fighting next to a guy that spent the week before protesting the war while flashing the peace sign.

Saintuary

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Let the drafting begin. We're really spread to thin then. I like what Kissenger(sp) said, "we can't win." If the people vote, there will be big time cheating. If the government votes, gonna be beacoup egg in the face. Not enough chickens in the world to lay that many eggs.

ra

I'm happily on drugs
Reaction score
As a 42 year old, I totally think there should be a draft.

Taurus

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A nation that can't muster enough volunteers to defend itself deserves to be destroyed.

A nation unable to fill the ranks in order to fight wars of conquest should re-think its policies.

sandiego_dre

Reaction score
Retired veterans (20 years or more) should be able to vote on this referedum. Never-the-less, I think that would be fair - the outcome may surprise you.
Why not any former service member? Why not all citizens for that matter? We all have something at stake here.

A nation that can't muster enough volunteers to defend itself deserves to be destroyed.

A nation unable to fill the ranks in order to fight wars of conquest should re-think its policies.
Well said. Although in and of itself, not a strong enough argument against a draft.

OP
Saintshizzle

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As a 25 year old, I think the draft age should be 26-43.
Well, you would be on count-down right now. In fact, you would probably already have your draft number right now and drafted in how many months?

Now the real debate (which i was hoping someone else would mention) is the legacy clause debate. Now that we are getting rid of affirmative action, the legacy clause will have to be addressed next and the draft would be the prime action to cause to spark the debate.

Recruiter: Mr. Lewis, I have your information and your draft number is up. Please report to the recruiting station on Airline Drive immediately.

Mr. Lewis: I can't, I have been accepted to Yale.

Recruiter: No way, with your grades?

Mr. Lewis: Yes, My father is an alumn.

Recruiter: Well, I am sorry, but you must report.

Mr. Lewis: Daaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!

Recruiter: Put dad on the phone also, we are raising the recruiting age to 50.

Okay, the last part is a jokey-joke. We will never allow 50 year olds to join....will we? But, the college students would be in for a shock. This would foster a sense of belonging amongst all Americans...or a reason for major fisticuffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom