Time for a draft? What say you? (1 Viewer)

As a 25 year old, I think the draft age should be 26-43.

Well, you would be on count-down right now. In fact, you would probably already have your draft number right now and drafted in how many months?

Now the real debate (which i was hoping someone else would mention) is the legacy clause debate. Now that we are getting rid of affirmative action, the legacy clause will have to be addressed next and the draft would be the prime action to cause to spark the debate.

Recruiter: Mr. Lewis, I have your information and your draft number is up. Please report to the recruiting station on Airline Drive immediately.

Mr. Lewis: I can't, I have been accepted to Yale.

Recruiter: No way, with your grades?

Mr. Lewis: Yes, My father is an alumn.

Recruiter: Well, I am sorry, but you must report.

Mr. Lewis: Daaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!

Recruiter: Put dad on the phone also, we are raising the recruiting age to 50.

Okay, the last part is a jokey-joke. We will never allow 50 year olds to join....will we? But, the college students would be in for a shock. This would foster a sense of belonging amongst all Americans...or a reason for major fisticuffs.

Hey! I resent that! I turn 50 in January!

By golly, I'm going to file an age discrimination suit.

18 is too old. The government should come and remove the recruits from their homes at around 5 or 6 years old.

A draft won't happen. Most people would say screw it and wouldn't report. Let's see if they have the manpower to find everyone. What are they going to do throw everyone in jail? They don't have the jail space to do that.

Send prisoners to fight, ala The Dirty Dozen. Empty the prisons and put the draft dogers in.

In 1968, the draft rules were changed by Joseph Califano -- the changes were made to make more young people eligible and less deferments.

1968=stepped uo anti-war protests. The more people can get called on to go, the more people will be against war, unless there are palpable reasons for the war.

We are still in the playoff hunt, isn't too early to talk about the draft? Geez some people!

Edit: Wrong board, sorry. I'll go if they want me too. But I am kind of crazy and crazy people and guns don't mix...

I'll join LC at the Canadian sports bar.

I'm completely for a draft to fill an army to -defend the nation-....however, they are wanting to draft people to continue to fill their pocketbooks....patriotism has nothing to do with that

Of course, since its basically pirating at its best, if they offered a percentage of the booty to the soldiers, there might be more people signing up :)

As a member of the military, I'll say that I'm against the draft. I'm against it for two reasons.

1) If I have to go overseas and fight for my country, I definitely don't want be there with someone who is only there because they were forced to be there.

2) If we are constantly cutting back the size of the military, how can we start drafting people? We'll either have to start increasing the size of the military, which means huge tax increases...or we'll have to do a 1 for 1 swap, meaning for every person who is drafted, someone in the military (likely a volunteer..at least at first) will have to be kicked out.

In my opinion, the reality is that a draft is wholly unnecessary....We aren't hurting for volunteers....

The problem with this war hasn't been that they couldn't muster up a big enough fighting force to win. A draft wouldn't change the fact that the civilian military leadership is incompetent from the top down.

There isn't going to be a draft anyway, the draft talk is not legitimate. I wonder what the draft vote would be in Congress? Not close at all.

The problem with this war hasn't been that they couldn't muster up a big enough fighting force to win. A draft wouldn't change the fact that the civilian military leadership is incompetent from the top down.

There isn't going to be a draft anyway, the draft talk is not legitimate. I wonder what the draft vote would be in Congress? Not close at all.

Yep. A draft would have just given cRummy more soldiers to mismanage.

I'm for a draft and it should include women. It would instill a national sense of patriotism and do away with this sissy mentality that's permeating the US. Too many young people overweight, type 2 diabetic, afraid of firearms and hooked on allergy medicine. Get them out in the elements and let them experience the great outdoors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom