Time for Drew to sign for the Vet Minimum (1 Viewer)

Y'all do realize that drew already counts $21,300,000 in dead money for the 2020 season and $5,400,000 for 2021.

That's not quite right. He will cost 21.3 if he isn't on the team next year and nothing in 2021. BUT, if he signs a new deal that 21.3 becomes 15.9 plus what he signs for and the 5.4 goes into 2021 plus what the new proration turns out to be.

We are foolish to sign him for anything above $20M a year. His performance doesn't justify that type of an investment. If he says for that great, I dont think he will insist on being a top 5 paid QB, and he is absolutely not a top 5 QB anymore. While he is still the GOAT (in my opinion) his loss of velocity is an issue. That and durability concerns will be growing issues next, and future years. Minnosota took away the short and intermediate passing lanes, and got pressure on him fast. That's why we lost (also we didnt try to run enough.)

Drew's inability to throw the deep balls and stretch the field has brought (well coached) defenses up closer to the line reducing our ability to run and throw short passes.

I love drew as much as everyone else, but similar to Manning's last couple of years, competitive drive and high football IQ can only allow you to do so much.
We're in trouble because we probably can't keep all three guys. If you let Teddy walk, Taysom can't be Taysom anymore. Our best hope at this point is that Teddy stays another year because the qb market is not shaping up like we thought it would.

He will play at least a season longer than Brady
Just to make sure he secures every record he is holding

brady wont retire before Drew, cause all he needs is one more season to break a lot of those records...

comes down to the first franchise that refuses to pay them. Or the first career ending injury
This. Brady is too greedy, he wants the record and rings. However, I don't know if there is a Denver team out there this year.

I don't think he can do that according to the players union. he would then be bringing down the franchise tag number which would cause a major issue among the players. the nfl is not an easy place to have continued success.

I think you’re correct. I know legally he can, and they can’t stop him, but I don’t think they would like it at all. Frankly I don’t think he would do it, nor should he.

I do however think he will sign a team friendly deal, he won’t be looking to be the highest paid QB. He will want the team to be able to upgrade his weapons and his protection. It’s not about money for him anymore, it’s about championships. He would not be coming back except for his desire to win another Super Bowl or two (if his health stays good). For the team to realistically have a chance he knows they need upgrades on offense and he needs to leave enough money to allow that to happen

Maybe they can restructure his deal so he can be paid in “investment grade” diamonds instead of cash. I know a guy.

Nah, we had this man on a discount for too many years. Plus he loss money on diamond investments. He get the Derek Jeter special IMO. A reasonable deal for as long as we want. We can't disrespect him with no vet minimum bs

Ok. He can make his money or save his legacy. His choice.

Sorry folks, but Drew Brees already signed a team friendly deal 2 years ago. That $25m/per deal was WELL below market value for QB's that offseason and he personally gave up at least $5m/per of what he would've gotten elsewhere and could've negotiated for with the Saints. we already owe him for that, we shouldn't ask him to give up even MORE money.

Definitely not the way to run a business. The team shouldn’t pay for past performance. This board says it all the time. He’s no different. The emotions need to be taken out of the business transaction. The question is, what can he do for us this upcoming season.

Saints fans would not be so passionate, so devoted, if they felt in their hearts it was just a business. The Saints are our culture. You don’t coldly bail on cultural icons the moment a young gunslinger can replace them. Everyone knows what’s coming. Some things are more important than business. Some things need to be done right.

Drew’s window is closed no matter how much below market value u give him. U bring him back another yr n it’ll only be more of the same letdown. And that’s if we even make the playoffs

What the Saints need is a clean break. Ms B should halt any contract negotiation, throw him a nice banquet ceremony, retire his jersey, give he n his family hugs n kisses n send them on their merry way. If Drew doesn’t wanna retire I’m sure Riverboat Ron will take him in a millisecond

Saints fans would not be so passionate, so devoted, if they felt in their hearts it was just a business. The Saints are our culture. You don’t coldly bail on cultural icons the moment a young gunslinger can replace them. Everyone knows what’s coming. Some things are more important than business. Some things need to be done right.
So what’s not done right by not signing him this next season? I Don’t see it as cutting and bailing, it’s the reality of getting older and not being able to do what you once could. I know the city would name streets, buildings and schools after him in a heartbeat. He’s got the keys to the city and state if he wants them. But there should be a time limit, not just until he doesn’t want to play anymore.

What’s “done right” and what’s done rights timeframe? Serious question here.

How about 10mil and 8mil signing bonus?

So what’s not done right by not signing him this next season? I Don’t see it as cutting and bailing, it’s the reality of getting older and not being able to do what you once could. I know the city would name streets, buildings and schools after him in a heartbeat. He’s got the keys to the city and state if he wants them. But there should be a time limit, not just until he doesn’t want to play anymore.

What’s “done right” and what’s done rights timeframe? Serious question here.

I think asking him to take vet minimum, or just cutting him outright, would be a slap in the face. At least give him a chance to say he’s retiring or let him test the market for big money. Don’t embarrass the man. It can be done better then that.

We are foolish to sign him for anything above $20M a year. His performance doesn't justify that type of an investment. If he says for that great, I dont think he will insist on being a top 5 paid QB, and he is absolutely not a top 5 QB anymore. While he is still the GOAT (in my opinion) his loss of velocity is an issue. That and durability concerns will be growing issues next, and future years. Minnosota took away the short and intermediate passing lanes, and got pressure on him fast. That's why we lost (also we didnt try to run enough.)

Drew's inability to throw the deep balls and stretch the field has brought (well coached) defenses up closer to the line reducing our ability to run and throw short passes.

I love drew as much as everyone else, but similar to Manning's last couple of years, competitive drive and high football IQ can only allow you to do so much.

Drews performance is absolutely worth $20M a year. Hell, it's worth $30M a year if you are judging him against pure market value for QBs.

Of course you can argue the dead money + a new deal is too much to pay and we should move on, but the idea that Drew Brees, who just threw 27 TDs and 4 INTs with a 74.8% completion rate in just 10 games is worth less than $20M a year is silly and ridiculously unrealistic.

Minnesota did not magically figure out Brees last weekend anymore than the Falcons figured him out earlier in the season. He had a bad game and if it were the regular season, we'd have adjusted the next week and fixed it. In the playoffs, you don't get that chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom