Time for Drew to sign for the Vet Minimum (1 Viewer)

Drews performance is absolutely worth $20M a year. Hell, it's worth $30M a year if you are judging him against pure market value for QBs.

Of course you can argue the dead money + a new deal is too much to pay and we should move on, but the idea that Drew Brees, who just threw 27 TDs and 4 INTs with a 74.8% completion rate in just 10 games is worth less than $20M a year is silly and ridiculously unrealistic.

Minnesota did not magically figure out Brees last weekend anymore than the Falcons figured him out earlier in the season. He had a bad game and if it were the regular season, we'd have adjusted the next week and fixed it. In the playoffs, you don't get that chance.
Stats look good on paper, but don't equal playoff wins and championships.

I dont want to pay Drew $30 M a year to putup great stats in the regular season, and not be able to win in the post season. He has lost velocity. This means we no longer have a deep threat in the offense.

Minnosota absolutely figured him (us) out. how do we set the NFL record for fewest turnovers but turn it over multiple times in the playoffs.

You can fanboi over his raw stats all day if you want, but Drew Brees as an every down QB is over if he is gonna get another ring. He wasn't even an every down QB in the gam,e we lost, we had to put Hill in to get a long downfield pass.

Frankly paying DB $30M would be about the dumbest thing we have ever done as a franchise.

Lets NOT negate the fact that he put up great TD to int ratios while missing 5 games, and being fortunate enough to win all 5 games and not really having to force anything in "must win" games.

Big stats in regular season are nice, but if you cant stretch the field, and they take away the underneath stuff, you cant win in the playoffs.

I dont want to pay Drew $30 M a year to putup great stats in the regular season, and not be able to win in the post season. He has lost velocity. This means we no longer have a deep threat in the offense.

Minnosota absolutely figured him (us) out. how do we set the NFL record for fewest turnovers but turn it over multiple times in the playoffs.

You can fanboi over his raw stats all day if you want, but Drew Brees as an every down QB is over if he is gonna get another ring. He wasn't even an every down QB in the gam,e we lost, we had to put Hill in to get a long downfield pass.

Frankly paying DB $30M would be about the dumbest thing we have ever done as a franchise.

Lets NOT negate the fact that he put up great TD to int ratios while missing 5 games, and being fortunate enough to win all 5 games and not really having to force anything in "must win" games.

Big stats in regular season are nice, but if you cant stretch the field, and they take away the underneath stuff, you cant win in the playoffs.

Pretending that Brees just puts up useless stats and that he didn't help us get to 13-3 with those stats is dumb. I can see this isn't an argument worth having. If you really believe Brees isn't worth $20M then get ready to be disappointed unless he retires. It's not 2012 anymore. $20M will barely get you a serviceable starter these days, much less Drew Brees.

I'm in the minority and support your general premise but it's not because I think he's done.
I just think we can't afford to keep gambling every year with a 40+ qb while delaying the inevitable. We are in the same position as the Niners with Montana and GB with Farve. If he really cares about the team he would sign a deal that allows us to keep Teddy and Tanysom. I really don't think he will do that.

I think asking him to take vet minimum, or just cutting him outright, would be a slap in the face. At least give him a chance to say he’s retiring or let him test the market for big money. Don’t embarrass the man. It can be done better then that.
I agree with you on not asking him to take a discount. If he is not resigned,
Pretending that Brees just puts up useless stats and that he didn't help us get to 13-3 with those stats is dumb. I can see this isn't an argument worth having. If you really believe Brees isn't worth $20M then get ready to be disappointed unless he retires. It's not 2012 anymore. $20M will barely get you a serviceable starter these days, much less Drew Brees.
He helped get to 13-3, but teddy got 5 of the 13. And during the 7-9 seasons, he was the stat king of garbage time passing yards.

I really think the issue some are having is they feel it’s time to move on because the team is built to win without Brees. Insert teddy and the team won all 5 games he started. Teddy winning that many games made it easier for some to see life after Brees.

I think that taysom is the bridge between franchise QBs. If taysom started next year, virtually no film on him for opposing defenses.

I didn’t say drew isn’t worth more than $20M, I said this team would be not be able to pay him more than that and expect to win in the playoffs.

We are already paying him $20 odd million for this year l believe? Even if he does not sign a new deal, hate it but it is what it is

20M is a fair number. I doubt he would ask for 30M like the other top QBs. Either way he is worth it, but it is in his heart to see what he wants.

Don't insult him with a low number. They both know what they want and will be easy to reach a deal.
playoff teams defending a 25 yard field are gonna crush drew. the guy is .500 or so in the playoffs because they are not committed to being physical. I say let him walk if he doesnt accept 15 mil and have an actual competition with teddy or someone else. I dont think he outplays teddy or taysom when everyone plays their respective styles of football

it worked well, maybe do like the NBA does with superstars for load management, have him sit out a few games that are against lower tier teams, to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Honestly, I don't see him doing that. Ever.

Well if he wants to win another Superbowl he needs to restructure for a lot lower. There are some key pieces that this team still needs. I don't think it is about money to him, he just wants another ring.

I am curious about one thing. Say that Drew signs a 5 year contract with it spread out over the 5 years and the bulk of the cap hit coming in years 4 and 5. Then he abruptly retires in year 2 of that contract. For the non-guaranteed money, is that just wiped from the books?

Well if he wants to win another Superbowl he needs to restructure for a lot lower. There are some key pieces that this team still needs. I don't think it is about money to him, he just wants another ring.
My opinion is that he thinks he can have both, but I personally agree with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom