Time to have Open Conversation: The Deep Love of Brees versus Teddy - Let's Get Real! (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
My Dear Who Dat Brothers and Sisters,

I've been stunned at the large number of Teddy doubters. But I understand - very well. And I don't view the Teddy Doubetrs as Teddy Haters. I personally don't disrespect Teddy for what he has done. I am also fully aware that this is the greatest Saint's defense since the Dome Patrol. Brees is not only by far the greatest player to ever wear Black and Gold (by far), but he literally helped save a rich cultural city and it'amazing fun-loving people after a devastating natural disaster. Seeing it on the news is one thing. Losing family and entire neighborhoods wiped out is devastating for those of us who lived in or are from Newalins.

Personally, I got high on Teddy after the TB win. In many ways, the Teddy story is so much like the Brees story. By some bizarre twist of fate, one of my 2 orthopedics is Dr. Paul Geibel, who was the assistant surgeon to Doctor Andrews on Brees' devastating shoulder surgery. Andrews told Brees he had less than a 50% chance to ever recover normal usage of his right arm and less than 5% of ever playing in the NFL again. Teddy also had a devastating injury where many so-called experts thought he would never be able to play pro ball again. So the greatest player to ever play for the Saints, who was told that he would never play pro ball again, was replaced by another player who was never expected to play pro ball again. And what does he do? He leads his team to 4-0. Sounds like Brees???

Is Teddy our QB of the future? Maybe! Maybe not! But its too early to tell. But what a great story and what a great time to be a Saints fan. Even if Teddy is not the replacement for Brees, Teddy is a class act. I know from Coach Pete, and this is legit insider info, the players and coaches love Teddy: humble, determined, studious, sponge copier of Brees' best traits, hard worker and a true leader of pro athletes.

But what an amazing story. 5-1 with by far the most brutal schedule of the 2019 season. I thought Teddy was the future beyond Brees, but Coach Pete told me, "I respect Bridgewater a lot, but he is not the Saints future QB!" Pete is often self admittedly wrong, but he is insanely right in predicting future outcomes.

So the conversation comes down to, "Can Teddy lead us to another SB??" Many SB winners had far less skilled QBs than Teddy.

Maybe Teddy is the future, and Maybe he is not. I know he stunk up the game versus the Jags, but he didn't lose it either. Just as Coach Pete told me, "Teddy is a 2-read QB and when defenses put early pressure on Bridgewater he gets psyched.". Yet he is 4-0. So, how can we as Saints fan not appreciate Teddy and Brees and of course the astonishing job Coach Sean is doing, imho, by far the greatest coaching job of his career. This is an honest, open-hearted question. Is it so hard for many of us Who Dats to see anybody but the awesomely great Brees lead us to a SB? And can some of us Who Dats even see Teddy getting us to a SB?

Regardless, what a great time to be a grateful Saints fan!! Let's embrace and enjoy this. Some of us remember the drunken days of Billy Kilmer and a well-cooked Paul Horning. These are the days of heaven for us young Saints fans who have been around a few years :cool:

Last edited:
Teddy is not the answer end of story. Lets be real he has only looked stellar for one game. Against the garbage Bucs who may have the worst def in the league. Other than that he is a good game manager. He missed several throws yesterday. We should have crushed Jax. They were nowhere in our caliber. We need to draft a qb this year regardless!

Swimmer, I was almost giddy when Teddy dismantled the Bucs, so you can imagine my disappointment when he looked so pedestrian against the Jags. I'm bracing for all the risks associated with drafting a QB. Think of Rosen, and many other college QB's that were "can't miss" that totally whiffed. It's a scary journey that could set the team back 2-3 years. I thought our journey was unnecessary when TB trounced the Bucs, but now all I can say is we better buckle up. The only question is, "when", because Drew could play another year or 2, even 3. I still haven't given up on Teddy, but he has a short time to turn it around.

Last edited:
Can an NFL team sustain winning, and competing for a championship., when it scores 12/13 points a game? That’s what our offense is averaging in 3/4 games Teddy has started. The 1/4 was against a horrible defense.

Drew has earned every last bit of respect he gets, 10x over. I’m not talking about being a nice guy, or having a great story. I’m talking about on field accomplishments. No need to go over Drew’s accomplishments, they are too many to name.

The Teddy vs Drew debate is silly. There is no grounds for it. Teddy, nor most other quarterbacks are near Drew.

I’m thankful that Teddy has protected the ball and helped us win 4 games, but let’s face it, if you don’t score more than 13 points in 3 out of 4 games, chances are, you lose. Our defense has been phenomenal. Our special teams have contributed greatly as well. They are the reason.

Until he proves otherwise in a large sample of games, Teddy is a back up who is holding down the fort.

Someone tried telling me the other day that they agreed with everything I posted about Teddy, except that they believed he was a starting caliber QB. It got me to comparing Teddy to the other current NFL starters. If being just above Mariotta and in the same range as Minshew (maybe) justifies the “starter” label, it’s a very low barometer. Look at the other 31 starters and honestly rank Teddy among that group....and then place value on what the term “starter” means.

I like Teddy, I want him to be successful. But he’s really lucky he’s the back up on this team, versus trading places with Rosen and a handful of others. Like I said in another post, Teddy and the fans are very fortunate to have the supporting cast he has, it’s virtually everything.

Last edited:
Teddy is not the answer end of story. Lets be real he has only looked stellar for one game. Against the garbage Bucs who may have the worst def in the league. Other than that he is a good game manager. He missed several throws yesterday. We should have crushed Jax. They were nowhere in our caliber. We need to draft a qb this year regardless!
I would agree with all of that.

I know a lot of people on here probably want to look away from the subpar play by Teddy on way too many occasions during this 5 game stretch (including the Rams), and only look at the 4-0 record. But you can't live in that world of scoring 13 points or fewer (Rams, Cowboys, Jags, only 1 touchdown in 3 games) plus another limited performance against Seattle.

Okay, so I'm old enough to remember Billy Kilmer. And let me tell you something brother. If you had to endure what Billy put up with before he got to the Redskins, You'd have tossed a few as well. Now I can't tell you about Paul Horning. I don't think he ever played for the Saints.
I'm glad you're happy about Teddy. And I'm pulling for him to do his thing & lead us to a win over the Bears. But all the worry over who's the QB of the future? The future is right now in the nfl. And I'm just happy with what we have now. Imma let the powers that be in the organization worry over who we go with next year.

After being one of his harshest critics I have nothing but admiration and respect for Bridgewater and what he's been through in his career and what he's done for the Saints since the Brees injury...……….but no the Saints are not going to win a Super Bowl with him at QB and no he is not the future of the Saints at the QB position.

He doesn't have what it takes to run a Sean Payton offense to it's full potential. Jon Gruden once called Brees an assassin in his approach to how he plays and executes the QB position and for good reason. I just don't see that in Bridgewater.

I'll be a fan of his forever and I'll wish him well with whoever he signs with next season.

Can an NFL team sustain winning, and competing for a championship., when it scores 12/13 points a game? That’s what our offense is averaging in 3/4 games Teddy has started. The 1/4 was against a horrible defense.

Drew has earned every last bit of respect he gets, 10x over. I’m not talking about being a nice guy, or having a great story. I’m talking about on field accomplishments. No need to go over Drew’s accomplishments, they are too many to name.

The Teddy vs Drew debate is silly. There is no grounds for it. Teddy, nor most other quarterbacks are near Drew.

I’m thankful that Teddy has protected the ball and helped us win 4 games, but let’s face it, if you don’t score more than 13 points in 3 out of 4 games, chances are, you lose. Our defense has been phenomenal. Our special teams have contributed greatly as well. They are the reason.

Until he proves otherwise in a large sample of games, Teddy is a back up who is holding down the fort.

Someone tried telling me the other day that they agreed with everything I posted about Teddy, except that they believed he was a starting caliber QB. It got me to comparing Teddy to the other current NFL starters. If being just above Mariotta and in the same range as Minshew (maybe) justifies the “starter” label, it’s a very low barometer. Look at the other 31 starters and honestly rank Teddy among that group....and then place value on what the term “starter” means.

I like Teddy, I want him to be successful. But he’s really lucky he’s the back up on this team, versus trading places with Rosen and a handful of others. Like I said in another post, Teddy and the fans are very fortunate to have the supporting cast he has. it’s virtually everything.

This!! Wooooooo

I thinks once Brees is ready give Teddy a Half to prove we should keep rolling with him or go back to the GOD QB. I think Brees is the Key to a Super Bowl. Teddy's double pumping annoys me but I'd rather him hold the ball instead of turning it over. I also wish he wouldn't zero in on Cook so much.

Whoever replaces Brees better be a future football HOF candidate. Drew has spoiled who dat nation to the point that no qb will ever be as good. Sure hope we land the next great qb of the future in the next few years.
If not, nobody will be happy, NOBODY

I'm convinced people are down on TB more than maybe they should be because of the way his play looks. What I mean by that is he looks timid, quiet, unsure with little confidence in the pocket. If you take TB's exact stats and win/loss record and pair that with a QB who exudes a lot of confidence, is vocal, very sure of his play and looks solid in the pocket I think these threads would read a lot different. Fair or not, those attributes are a big part of being the face of a franchise and having fans back you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom