Time to have Open Conversation: The Deep Love of Brees versus Teddy - Let's Get Real! (2 Viewers)

I think rather than say the Brees of the 2nd half of 2018, you should really be saying Brees with the offensive line of the 2nd half of 2018....

This is a non starter, I love Teddy and wish him well wherever he winds up but if Brees has decided to play beyond this year (which seems to be likely), Teddy is going....
The Saints organization is not going to pay a 40 year old declining QB another large contract. Those days are long gone and hopefully they have learned from their mistake the last time. The Defense was decimated due to Brees' large contract. If they really wanted to secure Brees another two or three years, they would have done so by now. Think about it.

Okay, that's just not true though. Some people ballyhooed over the ranking of the Cowboys defense coming into the Saints game but neglected to consider that they achieved that ranking after having faced the Giants (with Eli), Redskins, & Dolphins. We could assemble a defense from members here on this board and have an NFL top 15 defense after facing those 3 teams. [Obvious hyperbole is obvious...hopefully.] Look what happened against the Packers and Jets though. Seattle isn't anything special on passing defense this year...nowhere near like they used to be. Dalton threw for 418 on them in Seattle. Goff, who was just limited to 78 yards at home against SF, threw for 395 in Seattle. Jacksonville had a dominant defense a couple years ago when they made it to the AFC Championship Game, but then fell off by a pretty good margin. Playing without one of the best CB's in football (Jalen Ramsey) hurts them considerably as well when their defense can't use one guy to shut down almost half the field.
All I know is that this same Dallas defense gave Brees hell last season and we lost the game. That's a FACT!!!

@Swimmer when you gonna drop your Chicago jinx thread so I can reverse jinx it.

It's been our tandem 1-2 punch. Lol

The way I see it Teddy was brought in for a very specific reason, to be a viable option in the event of Brees missing time. The front office didn't want to have a wasted season with this much talent if Drew went down so they purchased an expensive insurance policy.

I'd say that plan has worked. Kudos to the front office for having a clear vision and plan in place. I'd say being 4-0 without Brees was worth the cost.

Whatever else Teddy does from here on, he stepped up when we needed him to. He answered the call.

The Saints organization is not going to pay a 40 year old declining QB another large contract. Those days are long gone and hopefully they have learned from their mistake the last time. The Defense was decimated due to Brees' large contract. If they really wanted to secure Brees another two or three years, they would have done so by now. Think about it.

Brees signed a 2 year, 50 mil contract which was below market value. Players like Matt Ryan were getting 30mil/year. We will absolutely re-sign Drew if he wants to continue playing.

All I know is that this same Dallas defense gave Brees hell last season and we lost the game. That's a FACT!!!

It's not always so simple. The Saints had the run game working better this year (65 yards last year to 117 this year). You think that might have something to do with being at home this year, having one of the best left tackles in the NFL (Terron Armstead) back for the game this year [Bushrod started at LT last year], and possibly having an upgrade at center over the admittedly and statistically declining Max Unger?

It's not always so simple. The Saints had the run game working better this year (65 yards last year to 117 this year). You think that might have something to do with being at home this year, having one of the best left tackles in the NFL (Terron Armstead) back for the game this year [Bushrod started at LT last year], and possibly having an upgrade at center over the admittedly and statistically declining Max Unger?

And the game was in Dallas.

No, I do not think it had anything to do with it. I think losing Ingram has really hurt our run game this season. And according to some posters, Drew is god and can overcome any of those deficiencies, right? Yet we still lost. The score was 13 - 10. But we have some posters complaining about a 12 to 10 victory with no TDs. INSANE!!!

No, I do not think it had anything to do with it. I think losing Ingram has really hurt our run game this season. And according to some posters, Drew is god and can overcome any of those deficiencies, right? Yet we still lost. The score was 13 - 10. But we have some posters complaining about a 12 to 10 victory with no TDs. INSANE!!!

It's crazy! I understand. Watching three of our victories under Teddy, I noticed I was getting a little bored. Guess I am used to Brees throwing for 4 TDs. Now I get really excited when our defense is on the field and kinda bored, except the Tampa Bay game, when our offense is on the field. But I will take 5-1 and smile from ear to ear, even if I get a wee bit bored from being so spoiled by Brees' best offensive show on turf - lol

Even Brees doesn't overcome fundamental inability to physically contest the line of scrimmage from both sides of the ball.

See 2012 to 2016 with soft and inept defense and, at best, spotty run game.

No one disliked the fact of winning. You take an ugly victory over a "pretty" loss any day, but you can still talk about the ugly. People here used to do "the good, the bad, & the ugly" posts after games (still do?), victories included. Why is that kind of talk suddenly frowned upon now by some just because the bad and the ugly sometimes involves Teddy?

If you are going to sit there and say that one QB having 2018 Jermon Bushrod for his blindside protection while another QB having 2019 Terron Armstead makes no difference, then I am at a loss for trying to help you understand.

It's crazy! I understand. Watching three of our victories under Teddy, I noticed I was getting a little bored. Guess I am used to Brees throwing for 4 TDs. Now I get really excited when our defense is on the field and kinda bored, except the Tampa Bay game, when our offense is on the field. But I will take 5-1 and smile from ear to ear, even if I get a wee bit bored from being so spoiled by Brees' best offensive show on turf - lol
It brings back memories for me from the Mora/Hebert Saints.

Games were boring by comparison.

If you liked punishing defensive play then that aspect was exciting. But Hebert with the Saints had no Deep threat most of the time it was possession passing to Eric Martin, kind of parallel to MT in a way.

Offensive line was really good and run game most of the time well above average. Classic old school football but rarely big plays or consistent offense with a very very very very average passing game.

When Brees is gone you probably should prepare for something more like that again, assuming we don't all quit this co-dependent/abusive relationship with the crp officiating.

Last edited:
It brings back memories for me from the Mora/Hebert Saints.

Games were boring by comparison.

If you liked punishing defensive play then that aspect was exciting. But Hebert with the Saints had no Deep threat most of the time it was possession passing to Eric Martin, kind of parallel to MT in a way.

Offensive line was really good and run game most of the time well above average. Classic old school football but rarely big plays or consistent offense with a very very very very average passing game.

When Brees is gone you probably should prepare for something more like that again, assuming we don't all quit this co-dependent/abusive relationship with the crp officiating.

Yes that’s what it reminds me of. And as you know it wasn’t good enough in the playoffs. Outside of the Bears game in 1990 I think we always gave up 20+ points in the playoffs and our offense just wasn’t good enough. I never want to be in that position again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom