Time to have Open Conversation: The Deep Love of Brees versus Teddy - Let's Get Real! (1 Viewer)

But what an amazing story. 5-1 with by far the most brutal schedule of the 2019 season.

Obviously a team can only play whoever is on the schedule, but I don't think the schedule has been "brutal" so far. The Texans, the Seahawks, ok, they are good teams... but the Rams, if Drew doesn't get hurt they would be 2-4; the Cowboys' 3 victories came against 3 teams that together have won 3 games so far this year; then the Bucs @ 2-4 and Jacksonville @ 2-4 as well. The home-away distribution has been even.

But, hey, 5-1. The only real complaint, it should be 6-0

Our team is winning in spite of Teddy, but I do like Teddy as a person, just think this team is CARRYING him , Teddy has always been on good teams, hate to see him on an avg team, His play was the weakest link out there, Use to be if Bree didn't throw a td it was news, now if Teddy can just throw one it's news.

Our team is winning in spite of Teddy, but I do like Teddy as a person, just think this team is CARRYING him , Teddy has always been on good teams, hate to see him on an avg team, His play was the weakest link out there, Use to be if Bree didn't throw a td it was news, now if Teddy can just throw one it's news.

Good teams he took over a horrific 5 win team. In 2 seasons won 11 games. That team is so great it won 8 games 2 out of the last 3 years with big name QBs. He is not elite but a damn good game manager who has leadership and clutch factor. He just wins games like it or not ugly sure. He is a compliment to a good defense. He rarely puts them in bad spots and most weeks moves the chains and wins the TOP keeping them fresh. I am sure the defense appreciates the 2 turnovers and 34 minutes top average the last 3 games. It could be much worse and he could try and play hero ball like Mayfield or Winston. Here is a 30 million dollar a year qb you win despite of.

Jared Goff’s last 14 games: 318/532 passing (59.8%) for 3,580 yards (6.73 YPA), 14 TDs, 15 INTs,14 fumbles

“Kamara is good, ...an amazing complimentary piece, but he’s not the man.” Have you watched Kamara play? He is the man and his play sparks the offense. Bad ankle and bad knee and he is still in the game. I will take Kamara over Ingram every day of the week.

Yes he is, and yes I have. But last season when he had to have the load rest on him, he got dinged up. This year, 6 games in he has a knee and an ankle. His huge abilities are on elusiveness and quick burst speed, things that ankle and knee injuries take away. When Ingram was splitting the load equally, it allowed Kamara to stay healthy as it did Ingram.

That’s all I Meant by that.

The Saints organization is not going to pay a 40 year old declining QB another large contract. Those days are long gone and hopefully they have learned from their mistake the last time. The Defense was decimated due to Brees' large contract. If they really wanted to secure Brees another two or three years, they would have done so by now. Think about it.

Yes they are and if you think otherwise you are insane....mistake the last time? You mean the contract referenced below? And the 2 years he had where he should have led us to the SB at least once possibly twice (were it not for the Viks miracle)...the one where he broke his own completion record and was favored to win the MVP before our offensive line started suffering injuries?

In 2017 Brees had 23 TD's and 8 Ints, in 2018 he had 32 TD's and 5 ints....good lord man what have you been watching?

Troll much?

Brees signed a 2 year, 50 mil contract which was below market value. Players like Matt Ryan were getting 30mil/year. We will absolutely re-sign Drew if he wants to continue playing.

Yes he is, and yes I have. But last season when he had to have the load rest on him, he got dinged up. This year, 6 games in he has a knee and an ankle. His huge abilities are on elusiveness and quick burst speed, things that ankle and knee injuries take away. When Ingram was splitting the load equally, it allowed Kamara to stay healthy as it did Ingram.

That’s all I Meant by that.
On the sample size so far you have to consider Kamara is not a full time back for between the tackles work, didn’t he tweak the ankle in practice?

Pierre’s Thomas was similar. With smaller size when you ran him heavy, despite his unquestioned effectiveness, he would get beat up.

I hope they just let Kamara heal. We could hopefully survive 4-5 weeks if that is enough....

Serious question

Is it Drew or is it Payton et al?

What I mean is this. it has been a collaboration. A symbiosis between them that will ,probably see both in the HOF.

So. If Drew had been with a different team under a different coach would he be the record setter he has been with the Saints?

Same can be said of Payton. With a different but skilled QB would Payton have achieved what he has with Drew?

How do you divide the credit between them? We may get an answer when Drew retires. If Payton can build a second HOFer we'll know he deserves a fair amount of the credit.

Till then do you think it is 50/50 or some other credit split?

Serious question

What I mean is this. it has been a collaboration. A symbiosis between them that will ,probably see both in the HOF.

70/30 Drew IME. It takes vision in a coach to allow a QB to do what he does best. At times, we've had a dominant run game, but Payton still calling Drew's number. Many other coaches would have run our RB's into the ground.

Yes they are and if you think otherwise you are insane....mistake the last time? You mean the contract referenced below? And the 2 years he had where he should have led us to the SB at least once possibly twice (were it not for the Viks miracle)...the one where he broke his own completion record and was favored to win the MVP before our offensive line started suffering injuries?

In 2017 Brees had 23 TD's and 8 Ints, in 2018 he had 32 TD's and 5 ints....good lord man what have you been watching?

Troll much?
Ok smart guy, don't say I didn't warn you.

Brees signed a 2 year, 50 mil contract which was below market value. Players like Matt Ryan were getting 30mil/year. We will absolutely re-sign Drew if he wants to continue playing.
He's already stated he wants to play until he's 45. So what are the Saints waiting on? I'll wait...

Serious question

So. If Drew had been with a different team under a different coach would he be the record setter he has been with the Saints?

Same can be said of Payton. With a different but skilled QB would Payton have achieved what he has with Drew?

How do you divide the credit between them? We may get an answer when Drew retires. If Payton can build a second HOFer we'll know he deserves a fair amount of the credit.

Not a knock on Drew at all but I’d say 70/30 Sean to Drew. The reason being, Drew obviously has the ability but without the Coach and system that allows him to do what he does best he would not have the stats and records he does now. Just like with the Chargers, Drew had the talent but they had LT and were a run first team. Drew’s best season with the chargers he threw for 3,500 yards which is great but the other years were low 3,000. His first year with Sean, 4,400 yards and only went up from there. So yes Drew would still be a great QB anywhere he went but Sean put him in the system to make him the GOAT!

No one disliked the fact of winning. You take an ugly victory over a "pretty" loss any day, but you can still talk about the ugly. People here used to do "the good, the bad, & the ugly" posts after games (still do?), victories included. Why is that kind of talk suddenly frowned upon now by some just because the bad and the ugly sometimes involves Teddy?

If you are going to sit there and say that one QB having 2018 Jermon Bushrod for his blindside protection while another QB having 2019 Terron Armstead makes no difference, then I am at a loss for trying to help you understand.
I don't need your help understanding. I watched the game myself buddy. Carry on....

If our team is winning in spite of Teddy, then it's fair to say our team is winning in spite of Brees. #FACTS

Our team is winning in spite of Teddy, but I do like Teddy as a person, just think this team is CARRYING him , Teddy has always been on good teams, hate to see him on an avg team, His play was the weakest link out there, Use to be if Brees didn't throw a td it was news, now if Teddy can just throw one it's news.
I don't think anyone dislikes Teddy as a person...or at least I see no reason for anyone to do so. Everyone loved his having fun and doing the Choppa last year. That doesn't mean though that his QB play can't be critiqued. I think everyone, or at least most, will agree that he is staying in his (limited) lane and working the game plan to give the Saints the best chance to win each week. I very much agree with you that the team (mainly the defense) is carrying him. And so it's when people say that Teddy is 4-0 or that Teddy has led the team to 4-0 while Brees is still out - and the implication there that Teddy has been doing the leading and carrying - that is disingenuous.

I don't need your help understanding. I watched the game myself buddy. Carry on....
I'm not your buddy, guy....and I will carry on as is my right to do so.

If our team is winning in spite of Teddy, then it's fair to say our team is winning in spite of Brees. #FACTS
Okay, now you are letting us know that you do not, in fact, watch the games. If you watched the games, you would know that the Saints beat the Texans in week 1 because of Brees and his late game heroics after the defense gave up a two-play, 75-yard TD drive in just 13 seconds.

P.S. Putting "#FACTS" behind your statement doesn't automatically make it so.

I don't think anyone dislikes Teddy as a person...or at least I see no reason for anyone to do so. Everyone loved his having fun and doing the Choppa last year. That doesn't mean though that his QB play can't be critiqued. I think everyone, or at least most, will agree that he is staying in his (limited) lane and working the game plan to give the Saints the best chance to win each week. I very much agree with you that the team (mainly the defense) is carrying him. And so it's when people say that Teddy is 4-0 or that Teddy has led the team to 4-0 while Brees is still out - and the implication there that Teddy has been doing the leading and carrying - that is disingenuous.

I'm not your buddy, guy....and I will carry on as is my right to do so.

Okay, now you are letting us know that you do not, in fact, watch the games. If you watched the games, you would know that the Saints beat the Texans in week 1 because of Brees and his late game heroics after the defense gave up a two-play, 75-yard TD drive in just 13 seconds.

P.S. Putting "#FACTS" behind your statement doesn't automatically make it so.
SEMANTICS.... Carry on...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom