Time to Play G.M. for the Saints (1 Viewer)

dempsey3

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OK there you sit, Benson walks in the room and says "Get me Lito Sheppard and Jeremy Shockey" here is the guidelines:

1. You start with 6 Draft pick you have to end with at least 5 picks.
2. This team still has some big needs so don't give away the draft
3. Don't trade players that make the Team weaker thats counterproductive unless you can justify it

Here is a of players that Benson considers to be trade bait. (Of Course you can use your own players, just justify your selections

Devery Henderson
Jon Stinchcomb
Josh Bullocks
Mark Campbell
Eric Johnson
Aaron Stecker
Jason David

The Saints draft picks: pick # (pick value)

RD1: 10 (1300)
RD2: 40 (500)
RD3: 78 (200)
RD4: No Pick
RD5: 146 (33)
RD6: 1 pick
RD7: 1 pick

The Eagles draft picks: pick # (pick value)

RD1: 19 (875)
RD1: 49 (410)
RD1: 80 (190)
RD1: 115 (64)
RD1: 131 (41) 152 (30.6)
RD1: 4 picks
RD1: 1 pick

The Giants draft picks: pick # (pick value)

RD1: 31 (600)
RD2: 63 (276)
RD3: 95 (120)
RD4: No Pick
RD5: 130 (42)
RD6: 4 picks
RD7: No Pick

Jeremy Shockey's original pick value at the 14th overall pick (1100) and his season was cut short with a broken leg and the Giants were very successful without him.

Lito Sheppard's original pick value at the 26th overall pick (700) and he has been reduced to a backup role with the signing Asante Samuel.

and if you are up for it after explaining moves and trades feel free to do a Mock Draft with your remaining Saints draft picks.

Simple. Swap first ronders with Philly for lito and a second rounder for shockey. thats all j shock is worth so don't give up a player but if we have to give up devery so be it.

By the way, Stink is untouchable. we need him this year (unfortunately) because strief and Bushrod aren't ready yet. upon further review we could give up EJ in giants trade cause we wouldnt need him anymore.

Most of those players you listed as trade bait probably have little or no value. As a general rule, I don't think think a player who was available on the free market for a while and never really got any interest from any other team and re-signed with us for relatively little money (a la Devery Henderson) would really be considered of any value by another team in a trade.

You are absolulely correct about trade value but then again trade value is perception. Both the Eagles and the Giants need an OT possible Jon Stinchcomb, Giants need a safety and the Saints already turned down the Roman Harper trade, McNabb would love to have a speedy weapon and Devery Henderson has shown this, couple that with a weak receiver class in the draft. As for the first solution of keeping it simple and just trading down twice, if that were the case the deal would have been done already. There are other teams interested in both of these players Lito and Jeremy so the Saints will have to sweeten the pot. On a side note if no player on the list will get the job done, who you be willing to trade? Remember your boss Mr. Benson said get it done.

Here's my plan, without trading any players currently on our roster........

Trade 10 to the Eagles for 19, 80 and Lito Sheppard. No one is going to give Philly a 2nd (and a high one at that being 40) for Lito. I think this is the best they can hope for if they want to move up that far (the Eagles that is). You would need pick 80 and pick 71 to move up from 19 to 10. This values Lito as a high third round pick and I think that's fair.

So again:

Saints acquire:

Pick 19 (Round 1)
Pick 80 (Round 3)
CB Lito Sheppard

On to Shockey.......

After some serious neogiations, we deal our two third round picks to the Giants for TE Jeremy Shockey.......we send the two third round picks because together they equal a mid second round pick (about 51) which is about right considering Shockey's recent injury bug.

As it stands, on draft day we have now:

CB Lito Sheppard
TE Jeremy Shockey
Round 1, Pick 19
Round 2, Pick 40
Round 5, original pick
Round 6, original pick
Round 7, original pick

Now, on the clock:

With the 19th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the New Orleans Saints select Brandon Flowers, DB, Virginia Tech. Shocking? I don't think it's as shocking as you might think. The only reason he isn't a top 10 pick is because he ran in the 4.5's. Watch him play and he's one of those guys that seems to play a lot faster than he runs. He's the best all around corner in my eyes and he's played some competition unlike these guys from Troy, TSU and USF. Not that bad of a reach at 19 either. Worse case he and Roman Harper make a nice safety combo.

With the 40th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the New Orleans Saints select Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame. The Saints want and need to get a good young DT in this draft and they do it here in the second round.

We're done until Round 5.......but I got Sheppard, I got Shockey and I got us a S (Flowers playing S) and a DT.

Starting Offense:

QB Brees
RB Deuce/Bush
FB Karney
TE Shockey
WR Colston
WR Patten
OL Stinchcomb/Evans/Goodwin/Nesbit/Brown

Defense:

DE Grant/Smith
DT Laws/Young
MLB Vilma
OLB Morgan/Fujita
CB McKenzie/Gay
FS Flowers
SS Harper

Well Done!
I'd have to call that an impressive Draft:
1. Sheppard/Flowers
2. Laws
3. Shockey
4. Vilma
Then I'd go
5. Wesley Woodyard OLB/SS
6. Brandon Kieth OT
7. Taylor Mehlhaff K

After hearing those directions, and oooops.... vocalizing my internal thoughts about it and the state of his sanity, Mr. Benson and I come to a mutual parting of the ways and I then run for and win a seat on the city council. ;)

Congrats on the city council position, although I find politics an interesting alternative to Benson's Senior Moment.

just havin' some fun with ya...

As I've said before, I have no prob with picking either or both Lito & Shockey if they could help us--just not at the cost of 2nd or 3rd round picks, which they would be by just swapping #1s to get them.

While they could be starters on the Saints, the reality is that they are actually INJURED BACK-UPs on their respective teams at this time--and you do not sacrifice 1s, 2s or 3s on injured back-ups, not if you are trying to build a winning team.

Sorta like thinking another couple of 5 gallon buckets and you could keep the Titanic afloat. ;)

I'd tell Mr. Benson to stick to selling cars.

I'm with ya

I feel that if Sean Payton has set his mind to getting Shockey not much will stop him, I'm just glad that Mickey is there to be a voice of reason.

Here's my plan, without trading any players currently on our roster........

Trade 10 to the Eagles for 19, 80 and Lito Sheppard. No one is going to give Philly a 2nd (and a high one at that being 40) for Lito. I think this is the best they can hope for if they want to move up that far (the Eagles that is). You would need pick 80 and pick 71 to move up from 19 to 10. This values Lito as a high third round pick and I think that's fair.

So again:

Saints acquire:

Pick 19 (Round 1)
Pick 80 (Round 3)
CB Lito Sheppard

On to Shockey.......

After some serious neogiations, we deal our two third round picks to the Giants for TE Jeremy Shockey.......we send the two third round picks because together they equal a mid second round pick (about 51) which is about right considering Shockey's recent injury bug.

As it stands, on draft day we have now:

CB Lito Sheppard
TE Jeremy Shockey
Round 1, Pick 19
Round 2, Pick 40
Round 5, original pick
Round 6, original pick
Round 7, original pick

Now, on the clock:

With the 19th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the New Orleans Saints select Brandon Flowers, DB, Virginia Tech. Shocking? I don't think it's as shocking as you might think. The only reason he isn't a top 10 pick is because he ran in the 4.5's. Watch him play and he's one of those guys that seems to play a lot faster than he runs. He's the best all around corner in my eyes and he's played some competition unlike these guys from Troy, TSU and USF. Not that bad of a reach at 19 either. Worse case he and Roman Harper make a nice safety combo.

With the 40th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the New Orleans Saints select Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame. The Saints want and need to get a good young DT in this draft and they do it here in the second round.

We're done until Round 5.......but I got Sheppard, I got Shockey and I got us a S (Flowers playing S) and a DT.

Starting Offense:

QB Brees
RB Deuce/Bush
FB Karney
TE Shockey
WR Colston
WR Patten
OL Stinchcomb/Evans/Goodwin/Nesbit/Brown

Defense:

DE Grant/Smith
DT Laws/Young
MLB Vilma
OLB Morgan/Fujita
CB McKenzie/Gay
FS Flowers
SS Harper

It doesn't matter how good Flowers is WHY are you picking up two CBs when we have so many already? Why not pick up a LB there? We can have Connors, Mayo and maybe even Rivers and make us MUCH better. Otherwise the trade for Lito Sheppard is worthless.

It doesn't matter how good Flowers is WHY are you picking up two CBs when we have so many already? Why not pick up a LB there? We can have Connors, Mayo and maybe even Rivers and make us MUCH better. Otherwise the trade for Lito Sheppard is worthless.

Well I actually thought about that but then decided to add that last sentence that at worst he can play S and get Bullocks off of the field.

However, in my opinion only McKenzie and Gay are locks and only Usama Young is probably a pretty sure thing. The Saints could easily dump any one of David, Craft, Thomas, etc. if Flowers were added.

The more I thought about it, McKenzie/Gay/Flowers/Harper sounded nice!

I'm gonna have to go w/ Bergeaux on this one....if you are gonna make the trade for lito...get Mayo at 19. And if are gonna draft someone to play Safety...draft a safety! (Phillips)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom