Saints Time to restructure Jenkin's (Janoris) contract (1 Viewer)

vansaint

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This was mentioned as one of the big TO DO items heading into this offseason, but for whatever reason we haven't gotten around to restructuring Jenkin's contract. The time is now, in order to free up some much need cap space. He's currently carrying a cap hit of $11,250,000

I predict they add a year and some guaranteed money to his deal in the form of a signing bonus to lower his 2020 cap number. I would also venture to guess there might be a voidable year for 2022 to spread the deal out even more. Just my thought.

This was mentioned as one of the big TO DO items heading into this offseason, but for whatever reason we haven't gotten around to restructuring Jenkin's contract. The time is now, in order to free up some much need cap space. He's currently carrying a cap hit of $11,250,000
You can't restructure a one-year contract. You can only extend it.

The reason for not extending it yet (and lowering this year's pay) is pretty simple. There's no need to do it if you don't have anyone to spend the money on.

I can see him getting extended another year to lower his cap number. But Loomis probably won’t make a move until they decide they want to add another player. There’s a few players who can be restructured as a last resort, a Demario extension comes to mind

11.25 isnt bad for a 1 year rental. I think saints needs are looking for CB help in the draft.
Yep exactly. The smart move would be to trade down later in the back end of the first and snag one of those long athletic corners that look to be available there. Pick up some draft capital and retain the 5th yr option on the corner. If Jordan Love is avail there might be a team willing to trade up at that spot

You can't restructure a one-year contract. You can only extend it.

The reason for not extending it yet (and lowering this year's pay) is pretty simple. There's no need to do it if you don't have anyone to spend the money on.

This. Jenkins was at the top of my list of offseason moves to clear space. If you don't need to clear space then why worry about it.

11.25 isnt bad for a 1 year rental. If he is a shutdown corner. I think saints needs are looking for CB help in the draft.
Agreed. Aftering seeing Bradley Roby get signed for a deal worth about $12 mil a year average, and James Bradberry signing for $15 mil per year average... $11 mil is around the average reasonable price for a #2 starting Corner.

I think the Saints just sit on Janoris cap number for this season... maybe if someone becomes available they Absolutely feel they have to sign I can see them giving him a 1 year extension to spread the cap hit out... but that's about it.

Agreed. Aftering seeing Bradley Roby get signed for a deal worth about $12 mil a year average, and James Bradberry signing for $15 mil per year average... $11 mil is around the average reasonable price for a #2 starting Corner.

I think the Saints just sit on Janoris cap number for this season... maybe if someone becomes available they Absolutely feel they have to sign I can see them giving him a 1 year extension to spread the cap hit out... but that's about it.

Actually it's about average for a CB1. Jenkins cost is right about where I expect his play to be, and his value. He's an expensive CB2, but he's really a bit more than that. Unless he starts showing signs of age/regression, he'd be the CB1 on a lot of teams.

Also agree there's no need to extend him and push more money into the future, unless we need to dredge up some more cap room for free agent signing(s).

Jenkins could also be used as trade bait down the road if another team has an injury and desperately needs a corner. Even if it’s a 2021 pick then. No need to rush his contract at this point.

Actually it's about average for a CB1. Jenkins cost is right about where I expect his play to be, and his value. He's an expensive CB2, but he's really a bit more than that. Unless he starts showing signs of age/regression, he'd be the CB1 on a lot of teams.

Also agree there's no need to extend him and push more money into the future, unless we need to dredge up some more cap room for free agent signing(s).
I guess I should say I see it being more towards the average mean in a Year or two once the market is completely reset with the inflation and cap increases of the new CBA. I see most starting Cornerbacks want to be paid in the $10-$13 mil range, even as #2 guys.

Where as the top 10 guys (the Jalen Ramsey, Tre White, Marshon Lattimore, Stephone Gillmore's) are going to want somewhere in the range of $20 mil.

I could very well see a market where teams are paying
a great #1 CB - $20 - 19 mil per season avg.
a solid, above average #2 CB - $10-11 mil per season avg.

We're already not too far from those figures with Eli apple getting a 1 year, 6 mil Prove it deal, and guys like Trae Waynes getting $14 mil avg. (crazy overpay) .. even Nickelbacks are going to be asking for $10 mil per year, the amount Logan Ryan is currently asking for. Chris Harris Jr. also got.

Jenkins is good CB but 2 things tell me he’s going to take a pay cut , be extended or traded .

-Age,32 Yr old CB not named Sherman or Peterson getting that much is blasphemy noGOOD team would pay him 11-12 million on the open market

- Were going all in now and with that said we need more MONEY!! We have wants at DE, LB, WR , OL, DB,QB yes we will address most in the draft but I can bet we’re going to try and hit on 2-3 in FA also

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom