Time to start Book (1 Viewer)

Nope, best case scenario is that we get a top 10 draft pick. This season is done as far as making the playoffs.
So you would rather have a top 10 pick than to discover that we have a franchise QB already on our roster?

I want to see him play as well, but that offensive line only has two starters out there and it's not the way you want to introduce your rookie QB to the league, they would tee off on him blitzing early and often taking advantage of that makeshift line.
Our backup OL are just pure horrible. I remember when Zack Strief was a backup and was a descent one and so was Stitchcom. This is the worse backup OL I can remember in recent years, or did Brees make them look good too

Serious question. Do you really believe that Book has that potential? I’d like to see if he’s a cheap passable stop gap at some point while we wait for a better QB class, but I’m not super hopeful that he’s more than that.
Honestly I don't know if he does or not. But I would like see what he has in a real game experience. If he is decent, then yes at worst he could be a stop-gap until we are out of salary cap hell. I do know from reading on him he is that he is a competitor, has always proved his doubters wrong, and is a winner.

Lamar Jackson threw 4 interceptions and had a QB rating of 46.5 last week and he didn't even rush for over 100 yards like Taysom did.

KJ1YUBf.gif
Come on. Really? Do you not see the glaring flaws in that logic? Drew Brees also threw 5 ints in one game. So I guess that means Taysom is as good as Drew Brees?

I do know from reading on him he is that he is a competitor, has always proved his doubters wrong, and is a winner.
However, when you take a step back - you will see that similar things can be said about just about every 3rd or 4th string QB in the NFL.

You can’t make a roster without those attributes - which speaks well of Book’s heart and grit, but doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t get annihilated behind this offensive line and with our lack of offensive weapons.

The psyche of an NFL QB is really important. And if you throw him to wolves and he fails miserably, you can wreck his confidence. Then you have nothing.

At this point, I say you roll with what you have and give Book another camp to acclimate to the league before pushing him out there.

The only option doesn’t have to be that Book starts for him to begin getting some reps.

Come on. Really? Do you not see the glaring flaws in that logic? Drew Brees also threw 5 ints in one game. So I guess that means Taysom is as good as Drew Brees?
Are you serious with this? Could you not understand the context of my post with that gif that I posted? But since you replied as you did, one such game with a busted finger and very little help from an injury riddled offensive squad shouldn't be the end all be all judgement.

Book is on the practice squad learning the plays and being the scout team quarterback week to week. We know what we have with Siemian, or don't have, and Hill is isn't the answer either. If last nights performance wasn't evidence enough. So why not just give Book the reins and start the maturation process. The Saints are destined for a high draft pick this year so why not turn the page on the preface and get on with chapter one and see how the story plays out. The only way to truly evaluate a player is on the field at game speed otherwise is only guesswork and wishful thinking. Let's see what we have. Remember Brady was a sixth rounder and Romo was undrafted. I'm not equating Book with either of these two but one really never knows.

We may not know what Book can do, but Payton sees him in practice everyday, and he knows. If/when Payton thinks Book is ready and the best option he'll play him. It could be later this season, it could be never.

Seeing the offense last night with Taysom the RPO game and his ability to tuck and run / elusiveness . It was a glimpse of what a "True QB" with those abilities can do in the offense . Taysom's finger injury obviously had an effect on his play but we could see a spark atleast . To my point , Ian Book needs to be the game day back up in this offense . He has running ability and elusiveness , 17 rushing TDs in college . His film shows he is good throwing on the run . If your going to roll with Taysom and an offense Tailored to him then it fits what Book does . He would have time to learn that package as the backup for a game or 2 . If things go bad or Sean Payton feels Book is 100% ready for the stage them start him . If we could get Kamara , Armstead , and Ram back then he has a real chance to show something as far as the future . It may actually be better than we think . Our receivers have trouble getting open , well an accurate thrower that can move the pocket to buy time gives WRs a chance to get open . The offense was always built on timing and precision and now its anything but that . More RPOs , more role outs / bootlegs , more moving the pocket . Thats how it should be if Taysom is starting but Book needs to be getting snaps as the backup in practice . It would make it easier to play him or start him this season .

Throwing a rookie QB behind this OLine without any receivers is asking to get him killed.

Also how is the jury out on Winston?? Did you not see how much better he was than Hill and Trevor?
Yes but I think there is an advantage to be had if we get one of our QBs killed on the field. Maybe we start getting some calls going our way next year.

I personally want to see Ian Book play. However, I would want him to have some tools to work with. Like starting OL and Kamara at the very least. But on the other hand i'd like the same for Hill and Simian. So quite frankly until we get everyone healthy don't expect much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom