Time to start Book (1 Viewer)

I have said it before so I will say it again . IF Ian Book starts for the Saints this season he will never look back or relinquish that job for quite some time . " Call it fate , call it karma" lol but seriously its just a gut feeling , he checks all the boxes . From leadership , production , games played and games won . He has the it factor you look for . His arm is average but his mobility is above average . He has good accuracy and awareness . Feels the pocket around him and knows how to manipulate it . Throws good on the run and has some magic on off schedule plays . Its all in the tape however alot of players are good on tape . Just look at the big moments , Book made play after play for the Irish in critical moments . He is very cool and level headed on the field and that quality can calm an offense when things get tough . The QB has to always be in control of his emotions never to high and never too low and Book does that well . I remember Joe Montana being so cool under fire and never fazed by it . His team responded and you see that in Books college film . Now having said that , he will make some what are you doing play's . Thats young QBs you have to expect it . We see the same from Siemian and Hill as far as the dumb mistakes but they are veterans . I think we can all deal with some rookie mistakes if we also see the offense function at level better than what we have seen . Because I do think he would take some lumps but I also think he will be more efficient than most would think as a rookie . I also think he will show some magic and win some games that we would not win with Siemian or a injured Hill .
'
Honestly I like him, but he's got some issues that will need to be worked on.

- Plays seem to break down around him a lot when he's in the pocket. Causing him to run more often than you'd like. He's jittery in the pocket and you'd like to see him more poised in the face of pressure.

-Doesn't throw with timing regularly. Has to see guys come open before he's willing to throw at times and he doesn't have the arm strength to be late on said throws. (Though is arm strength is better than he gets credit for and he can wing it 50 yards with a flick) Potentially the issues could be with his base.

- Not as aggressive as he could be attacking downfield and when he does he can be inaccurate sometimes.

What I did like about him from his preseason showing is that he's capable of being accurate consistently in the short game. He delivers a catchable ball on short throws and was one of the main reasons that Tony Jones JR got showcased so well in the passing game.

He's also a gamer/winner. Potentially his struggles with ranked teams could have been due to the academic restrictions Notre Dame has that hinders the talent they acquire.

Has a very quick release and while he's been compared to Drew because of stature, he looks more like Tony Romo

With it now coming out that Taysom has mallet finger we'll have to see how long he's out and how long they are willing to go with Siemien who will likely start if Taysom has to have surgery. He's not our best chance at winning but you want to insulate the rook for as long as you can, especially with the current state of the offense.

'
Honestly I like him, but he's got some issues that will need to be worked on.

- Plays seem to break down around him a lot when he's in the pocket. Causing him to run more often than you'd like. He's jittery in the pocket and you'd like to see him more poised in the face of pressure.

-Doesn't throw with timing regularly. Has to see guys come open before he's willing to throw at times and he doesn't have the arm strength to be late on said throws. (Though is arm strength is better than he gets credit for and he can wing it 50 yards with a flick) Potentially the issues could be with his base.

- Not as aggressive as he could be attacking downfield and when he does he can be inaccurate sometimes.

What I did like about him from his preseason showing is that he's capable of being accurate consistently in the short game. He delivers a catchable ball on short throws and was one of the main reasons that Tony Jones JR got showcased so well in the passing game.

He's also a gamer/winner. Potentially his struggles with ranked teams could have been due to the academic restrictions Notre Dame has that hinders the talent they acquire.

Has a very quick release and while he's been compared to Drew because of stature, he looks more like Tony Romo

With it now coming out that Taysom has mallet finger we'll have to see how long he's out and how long they are willing to go with Siemien who will likely start if Taysom has to have surgery. He's not our best chance at winning but you want to insulate the rook for as long as you can, especially with the current state of the offense.
I did see some of the issues you did on film , Having watched it alot I have to account for his talent around him as you also eluded too . When he had NFL lineman in front of him and Chase Claypool to throw too he was very good . When the talent left to play Sundays , he had to do more with less . His line wasnt as good, he was throwing to 4 TEs way to often because a lack of WR depth and not a great running game . He still managed to win and play good football . I am like you it is his ability to just make the routine throws on time . Check downs work if your on time and have touch to make the throw . I want to see the kid but I want Armstead , Ramzchyk , and Kamara back first .

I did see some of the issues you did on film , Having watched it alot I have to account for his talent around him as you also eluded too . When he had NFL lineman in front of him and Chase Claypool to throw too he was very good . When the talent left to play Sundays , he had to do more with less . His line wasnt as good, he was throwing to 4 TEs way to often because a lack of WR depth and not a great running game . He still managed to win and play good football . I am like you it is his ability to just make the routine throws on time . Check downs work if your on time and have touch to make the throw . I want to see the kid but I want Armstead , Ramzchyk , and Kamara back first .

That's exactly my opinion. To me he'd make Alvin a star again in the passing game because of his ability to get to his checkdown and make an accurate throw. Could basically use Kamara as like his outlet (Think Steelers with Big Ben/Bell)

Still as you alluded to I don't want to ruin him by dropping him into current circumstances but I woud, if things played out that way, like to see how he acquits himself in the last two division games played.

If you started him now you'd be placing him right back into a Notre Dameish situation.

I have said it before so I will say it again . IF Ian Book starts for the Saints this season he will never look back or relinquish that job for quite some time . " Call it fate , call it karma" lol but seriously its just a gut feeling , he checks all the boxes . From leadership , production , games played and games won . He has the it factor you look for . His arm is average but his mobility is above average . He has good accuracy and awareness . Feels the pocket around him and knows how to manipulate it . Throws good on the run and has some magic on off schedule plays . Its all in the tape however alot of players are good on tape . Just look at the big moments , Book made play after play for the Irish in critical moments . He is very cool and level headed on the field and that quality can calm an offense when things get tough . The QB has to always be in control of his emotions never to high and never too low and Book does that well . I remember Joe Montana being so cool under fire and never fazed by it . His team responded and you see that in Books college film . Now having said that , he will make some what are you doing play's . Thats young QBs you have to expect it . We see the same from Siemian and Hill as far as the dumb mistakes but they are veterans . I think we can all deal with some rookie mistakes if we also see the offense function at level better than what we have seen . Because I do think he would take some lumps but I also think he will be more efficient than most would think as a rookie . I also think he will show some magic and win some games that we would not win with Siemian or a injured Hill .
I Agree, but the way this season has gone, if he is not starting because he is ready but because all the other QB's have failed or are injured, he is not going to perform any better so in all likelihood Trevor Siemian will be getting the start if Hill is out. I can see Book getting the week 17 start though.

I Agree, but the way this season has gone, if he is not starting because he is ready but because all the other QB's have failed or are injured, he is not going to perform any better so in all likelihood Trevor Siemian will be getting the start if Hill is out. I can see Book getting the week 17 start though.

Well, the interesting thing is by starting Seimien you'd be continuing his progression in that he'd slide to Backup QB with Taysom out. He'd be taking on more responsibilities and you could see how he handles being in a different position through the week.

It's a much more natural progression than just dropping him in as QB1 right now.

That's exactly my opinion. To me he'd make Alvin a star again in the passing game because of his ability to get to his checkdown and make an accurate throw. Could basically use Kamara as like his outlet (Think Steelers with Big Ben/Bell)

Still as you alluded to I don't want to ruin him by dropping him into current circumstances but I woud, if things played out that way, like to see how he acquits himself in the last two division games played.

If you started him now you'd be placing him right back into a Notre Dameish situation.
This option makes sense , you just kind use some "air raid " concepts out of Mike Leaches playbook all running backs catch balls . Kamara , Montgomery , Ingram and Jones Jr , with Ingram as you bruiser can make it work . We lack WR threats so spread them out and use check downs as an extension of the run game . This would help the O line as the defense get tired and worn as the game goes on . Running lanes would open when you need to sustain drives late in games . Book can move around give guys the chance to get open .

Well, the interesting thing is by starting Seimien you'd be continuing his progression in that he'd slide to Backup QB with Taysom out. He'd be taking on more responsibilities and you could see how he handles being in a different position through the week.

It's a much more natural progression than just dropping him in as QB1 right now.
He was the backup when Taysom was out . 2 or 3 games he was active I cant remember .

He was the backup when Taysom was out . 2 or 3 games he was active I cant remember .
Touche! I'm excited to see him and I'm pretty sure it'll be this year. I've been trying to find as many videos of him as a I can. I've seen the play but I want to start watching the interviews so I can get a bead on his personality.

I know this, based on some quotes I've come across Payton like him...a lot.

We've seen CSP be hard on the players he see's the most in and he started ribbing Book and setting expectations for him in practices very quickly. Brees also gave a little insight into what he thinks Book's potential can be.

Touche! I'm excited to see him and I'm pretty sure it'll be this year. I've been trying to find as many videos of him as a I can. I've seen the play but I want to start watching the interviews so I can get a bead on his personality.

I know this, based on some quotes I've come across Payton like him...a lot.

We've seen CSP be hard on the players he see's the most in and he started ribbing Book and setting expectations for him in practices very quickly. Brees also gave a little insight into what he thinks Book's potential can be.
His interviews are impressive , the kid seems really calm and focused . You will see in his post draft interviews that he has watched and tried to emulate his game after Drew Brees and a couple others . Hearing him talk about what it means to him to be a QB is what sold me after all the tape I watched . Understanding of the game and his job as a QB is impressive .

I don't think he's just been sitting while everyone else was working. He gets the film work and field work every week like everybody else. He called substitutions and other coaching responsibilities during the covid game vs the Panthers, Ian Book has been getting a crash course all season

I think most fans would acknowledge that no longer having the best bookend tackles in the NFL due to injury is a pretty significant difference maker and worthy of being mentioned. And that Kamara guy is surely no difference maker either, right? And again, why not include the rushing numbers? It's being blatantly disingenuous not to include Taysom's rushing numbers when that's obviously a significant part of his game. He became just the third QB to rush for over 100 yards in a game this season and he did it with a very patchwork offensive line. That's not even worth mentioning?
It's being blatantly disingenuous not to include Taysom's rushing numbers when that's obviously a significant part of his game. He became just the third QB to rush for over 100 yards in a game this season and he did it with a very patchwork offensive line. That's not even worth mentioning?
No, it's about wins and TDs. Rushing yds don't win games, points do. Ok,

Last edited:
Throwing a rookie QB behind this OLine without any receivers is asking to get him killed.

Also how is the jury out on Winston?? Did you not see how much better he was than Hill and Trevor?
I think he means as far as us staying satisfied with Winston. I believe Sean and Mickey will definitely be doing whatever they can do upgrade that position this offseason. Hopefully going after a big named QB

I don't think he's just been sitting while everyone else was working. He gets the film work and field work every week like everybody else. He called substitutions and other coaching responsibilities during the covid game vs the Panthers, Ian Book has been getting a crash course all season
Insights I was not aware of, fair rebuttal though in my defense I wasn’t implying he’d been idle in some way.

No, it's about wins and TDs. Rushing yds don't win games, points do. Ok,
And having the best pair of bookend tackles in the league and the marvel that is Alvin Kamara playing on the field instead of being inactive doesn't help the QB lead the offense to points and wins??? Again, your stats lacked great context.

And having the best pair of bookend tackles in the league and the marvel that is Alvin Kamara playing on the field instead of being inactive doesn't help the QB lead the offense to points and wins??? Again, your stats lacked great context.
I'm sorry, but you sound like a Taysom apologist. I'm just not falling for your historical revisionism, of the facts. Trevor was missing AK and O line also, and didn't throw 4 INTs in one game.

Jamies 14 TDs to 3 INTs Trevor 9TDs to 3 INTs. Seems Trevor and Jameis are the only QBs who have curbed their turnovers under Sean. Taysom (2020 completely healthy O line) is avgs almost 2 per game even if you only look at last year. Taysom is a turnover machine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom