Time to start this process again (1 Viewer)

I reran a job I had to do last week that took about four hours to run (matching 1.5 million records from one file to another of .5 million on several criteria). This time it took one hour :worthy:

I still enjoy watching 4 usage graphs in task manager during CPU intensive tasks.

I got a P182 case when I built my i7, so we have a pretty similar setup minus the RAID, 2GB of RAM, and PSU.

Here's what half a roll of duct tape and electrical tape will give you:
myP182.jpg

there's a computer in there, somewhere, right?

rats-nest-n8foo.jpg

LMAO

yeah, it's a bit of a mess. but once the cover's on - it's not an issue!

Severum - you're anal :)

edit - oh, and I have EIGHT columns for the CPU usage!

OK, I'm losing my mind. about a month ago, I started having RAID problems - the volume kept getting degraded and it would take a day and a half to rebuild. speaking with ASUS, we tried everything - new cables, new RAID certified hard drives, new power supply...finally, they shipped me a new MB. Lo and behold, I have a new failure.

I'm done trying to run RAID 5 on the MB. I've read that it's not a good idea to run your OS on RAID5. I've read RAID5 is not that much faster but I find that hard to believe. I definitely want redundancy. This MB requires you to have all HDD on the RAID array if you have a RAID array (that is, I can' have one drive as the C drive and another three drives in an array).

what the hell to do? get a separate RAID controller? New MB? external RAID storage? what do y'all think? I'm at my wit's end.

I've had a similar problem with my ASUS board (socket 775 - core2duo). Running on R5, I had one disk go bad, and then the whole array showed corrupted. Even replacing the disk, I couldn't rebuild. Nothing I did worked. Eventually I installed a 4th disk, installed Server 03, and wrote new signatures to each disk so the old array wouldn't recognize them.

Then I wiped the 03 disk and installed windows 7 to it, with RAID functionality turned off. Then I enabled it on those 3 disks, and was able to create a D: drive that is RAID 5, and still boot to the single disk.

The single disk isn't redundant, but my data is on D: and my important data is actually on a NAS.

I don't know if that helps, but in summary, I've decided that ASUS's commercial onboard RAID controllers are ****.

but in summary, I've decided that ASUS's commercial onboard RAID controllers are ****.

this.

at this point, I've deleted, recreated, used new drives - anything possible on the array. Hell, it's even a different MB now so no amount of reinstalling seems to do it.

I'd go that route (with the OS on on drive and the important data on the array, but this MB doesn't allow you to do that. it's all drives on the array or none.

Get a RAID card. Get 5 drives. RAID 1 your OS off the motherboard, RAID5 your data off the controller.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom