Times is a wasting!!! (1 Viewer)

willbill

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
We have a short window of opportunity here to win a championship. We have to make strides now not in a year or two after players develop. Typically players are only big contributers in the first round maybe a gifted athlete with off the field issues will slip to the second and come in and play for a team. I am a firm believer in quality not quantity. I would rather have one impact player produced in a draft that one OK play that plays and a bunch of back up and special teams players. We need playmakers on defense and we need them now and don't have time waste bringing them along. CB, QB, MLB and WR are positions that seem to take time to start producing. Maybe we should go after CB and MLB in FA and draft our other needs like DT, OLB and a Safety maybe.

My point in this post is this team has had limited success in the past because we have never gotten it all together at the same time. We haven't had a dominant offense and defense at the same time. It has usually been one or the other.

This team needs as many early draft pics and Veteran additions as it can get sooner rather than later. Trade draft pics for vets. Trade next years pics to move up and get impact players in this draft now. What ever it take to win now not in a couple of seasons.

Last edited:
Actually we have a huge window...at least 4-5 years worth of top shelf offensive play and our defense is very young and is still being built.

Yeah I agree, our window is as large as it gets in today's era of Free Agency, provided we can continue to resign core guys like Colston and Will Smith.

Basically until Drew Brees gets old and febble, that's at least half a decade.

Well since we have 4 or 5 years lets just take a couple off and trust that Duece will comeback from injury. Marvin Mitchell will develop as will Robert Meachem Scott Shanle will finally make the probowl A DT will rise out of nowhere and become a all pro and that we will be able to resign Colston and Evans and that Will Smith and Charles Grant will play up to there lofty salaries. And Reggie Bush will supplant LT as the best back in the league. And just take what comes our way and we will let this 4 or 5 year window slide by without a championship. I have been a Saint fan for as long as I can remember and I'm tired of waiting on a championship. This team took a hugh step back after a promising season last year and it is so frustrating to me that people want to continue to stick with players like Reggie and Duece and Charles Grant and WIll Smith when they didn't get us to the playoffs the didn't even carry there wieght. Maybe I should leave Duece out of this because of injury but just because he got injured doesn't mean he gets a pass. Move on and get his replacement in her now we can't afford to wait.

Last edited:
So basically you wanta be the Redskins? Hows that working out for them?

They got to the playoffs last year anyway. I would always build a team by drafting offense and defense via free agency. Defense's come together quicker so we need defense so why not sign as many Defensive free agents and just be aggressive. I don't wont to be the redskins but a sense of ugency would be nice!!!

willbill, I'm a drunk dog, so I'll listen. But:

"Trade draft pics for vets. Trade next years pics to move up and get impact players in this draft now."

Say what? You're kidding, right? Not the future for any team.

This isn"t a strategy I want. Lets use the picks and stop this trading stuff. #10 and #41 in the draft are what we need for the future, not trades.

My opinion, of course.

ddd

They got to the playoffs last year anyway. I would always build a team by drafting offense and defense via free agency. Defense's come together quicker so we need defense so why not sign as many Defensive free agents and just be aggressive. I don't wont to be the redskins but a sense of ugency would be nice!!!

Yeah, at 9-7, lost in the first round, and are now in total cap hell and will have to gut their team.

Teams don't win a superbowl building through FA. The past 3 superbowl winners all were almost exclusively built through the draft.

Well I hope that this years draft is better than last years. Because we got squat. I still have hi hopes for Meachem. And maybe when this year kicks off a couple of others will step up Andy Alleman and the other OL. Can't remember his name. No Colstons in this draft. If I could trade a 3rd rounder for Vilma and a 4th for a starting CB and use or second to move up to the 5th pick and pick up Ellis in the first round then that would be a draft of

Ellis
Vilma
and a starting CB then we still have the second day to find a Colston.

So basically you wanta be the Redskins? Hows that working out for them?

They did make the playoffs. :shrug:

Bottom line, I think you have to find the middle ground between drafting and free agency. Building solely through the draft is not always the best way IMO. It works beautifully when you have the talent evaluators like the Colts and Patriots do, but I don't think the Saints have shown enough in this department to make me feel confident in relying on consistently finding solid contributors in the later rounds. This is why I think it's so important to utilize free agency to nab a top-tier talent (Briggs, Samuel, et al) when they hit the market. When you draft just well enough to have a solid team (like ours) with a lot of cap space (like we do) and a few holes, it opens the opportunity for you to jump at signing some established players who will contribute.

And on a somewhat unrelated rant, I think we as a board tend to think of winning as some kind of formula. For example, the last few weeks I've seen people preach that we don't need to worry about our secondary too much if we load up on the front seven. The way to winning is through a great pass rush because it worked for the Giants. Another one is loading up solely through the draft because it's worked so well for the Colts and Patriots. This may be a copycat league, but I don't think it's necessary to emulate the top few teams in the league exactly as they are. There's more than one way to skin a cat. The Saints don't have to follow the formula set by the Patriots, Colts, and Giants in order to win the Superbowl. OK, I'm done ranting. :hihi:

They did make the playoffs. :shrug:

Bottom line, I think you have to find the middle ground between drafting and free agency. Building solely through the draft is not always the best way IMO. It works beautifully when you have the talent evaluators like the Colts and Patriots do, but I don't think the Saints have shown enough in this department to make me feel confident in relying on consistently finding solid contributors in the later rounds. This is why I think it's so important to utilize free agency to nab a top-tier talent (Briggs, Samuel, et al) when they hit the market. When you draft just well enough to have a solid team (like ours) with a lot of cap space (like we do) and a few holes, it opens the opportunity for you to jump at signing some established players who will contribute.

And on a somewhat unrelated rant, I think we as a board tend to think of winning as some kind of formula. For example, the last few weeks I've seen people preach that we don't need to worry about our secondary too much if we load up on the front seven. The way to winning is through a great pass rush because it worked for the Giants. Another one is loading up solely through the draft because it's worked so well for the Colts and Patriots. This may be a copycat league, but I don't think it's necessary to emulate the top few teams in the league exactly as they are. There's more than one way to skin a cat. The Saints don't have to follow the formula set by the Patriots, Colts, and Giants in order to win the Superbowl. OK, I'm done ranting. :hihi:

They snuck into the playoffs at 9-7 and lost in the first round. In the past two years with our philosphy we've made the playoffs once and went the NFCCG, they've made the playoffs once with a worse record and got blown out in the wildcard round.

Lets take a look at the teams that made the playoffs. In the AFC, the Pats, Colts, Steelers, Jags, Titans, and Colts. All of their impact players were drafted with the exception of the Pats, who already had a great team and added some pieces. In the NFC, Cowboys, Packers, Bucs, Seahawks, Giants, and Redskins. The NFC isn't nearly as strong because they don't build through the draft as well. The Packers, Giants, Seahawks, and Bucs are all primarily built through the draft. The Cowboys, with the exception of TO, are also almost all drafted or UDFA's. The Redskins are made up of a ton of highpriced FA's and they lost in the first round.

So its not just the Colts and Pats. You don't need balance. You need to heavily build your team through the draft, and if you can afford a FA here or there that fits your system get him. Building through FA doesn't work. There are no shortcuts. If you don't draft well you won't succeed over the long haul. Just because someone is a great player and he hits FA, doesn't mean he'll fit what we are doing. Just because someone is demanding alot of money doesn't mean they are worth that amount.

Last edited:
Well since we have 4 or 5 years lets just take a couple off and trust that Duece will comeback from injury. .

You said "we have a short window". That's incorrect. I didn't say we shouldn't try to win now. The rest of your juvenile sarcasm was entirely misplaced. You said "we have a short window", I disagree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom