Timing Belt change - where to go (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have an old Accord with a V6 that I use for my work vehicle. I don't think that I will be using this vehicle beyond another year or so but I have reached a point where changing the timing belt is critical. I have gotten two quotes - one for 650 and the other for 800 which seems to be high compared to what I have seen online. One guy told me that they don't even do them for a V6. Repairpal says this job should be between 450 and 550. Any advice on where to go?

I have an old Accord with a V6 that I use for my work vehicle. I don't think that I will be using this vehicle beyond another year or so but I have reached a point where changing the timing belt is critical. I have gotten two quotes - one for 650 and the other for 800 which seems to be high compared to what I have seen online. One guy told me that they don't even do them for a V6. Repairpal says this job should be between 450 and 550. Any advice on where to go?

well do NOT go to Honda. that will be the $800.

fyi- I had a 2001 Honda Accord SE with 200,000 miles and NEVER changed the timing belt.

Ever. My mechanic would inspect every so often for cracks/dry rot and never found any and assured me that the belts will last as long as they dont crack/dry rot etc.

But as im sure you know, if the belt goes, good chance you mess up your heads/cylinders. ( unless you have a manual and as soon as it goes u put in neutral )

i would try local guy. You in Metairie?

Funny cuz I came here to ask about 2007 Tahoe 100,000 mile tune up...i was quoted $500 and damn near fell over.

What year is the car? Is it really worth it to drop $500 on a car that you will have for less than year?

If you have any mechanical ability, I'd suggest changing it yourself. Pick up a Chilton or Haynes manual and spend a weekend fixing it on your own.

well that is the question I have been wresting with myself. I would prefer to not drop that money but the fear of looking at 2500 to 3000 if it breaks gets the better of me. Maybe I should just inspect the belt like efil4 said. This one is a 99 and has 130,000

WOW.

About 15 yrs ago I paid a "shadetree mechanic" $60 + parts to change all my belts.(including timing belt)

If it were me I'd join a Honda Accord forum(usually free) and learn how to DIY.

I am not a Honda guy so I don't know how hard it is to inspect it or what the life of it is. I agree that if you plan on it not lasting much more than a year, an inspection might be worth looking into. If it still looks decent, gamble and let it roll.

If it is an interference engine, having a manual will not matter. I can promise you, that piston will hit a valve long before you even know what happened. Also make sure you are getting online prices for the V6. A V6 wedged in an Accord will probably be a LOT more work than if it was a four banger.

Optimus my be a good person to contact. Send him a PM if he does not respond to this thread. I am not sure if he is a mechanic but he knows a lot.

If it is an interference engine, having a manual will not matter. I can promise you, that piston will hit a valve long before you even know what happened. Also make sure you are getting online prices for the V6. A V6 wedged in an Accord will probably be a LOT more work than if it was a four banger.

the price I found was for the V6. I knew that there was more to it when the one guy told me they don't even mess with the V6. Thanks for the advice. I do small stuff on my own but I may get someone to help inspect the belt. I have seen plenty of people claiming more than 200,000 miles without a change. I read that vehicles that are not driven often (because the belt sits in one position too long) as well as belts in dry climates fair worse.

Run it till it dies. I don't agree with "scheduled" repairs like this on an older vehicle. Especially when the maker is known for quality engineering. If you must do the job, do it yourself. You'll save a butt load of cash and learn something in the process.

I also had a 2001 Honda Accord with over 150,000 and never had to replace anything. I'd save your money for the a/c, window gaskets, and other malfunctions. Hondas make great engines but there is a good chance you will have to have minor repairs on things you were not prepared for soon.

well that is the question I have been wresting with myself. I would prefer to not drop that money but the fear of looking at 2500 to 3000 if it breaks gets the better of me. Maybe I should just inspect the belt like efil4 said. This one is a 99 and has 130,000

They may not crack .or show obvious signs of wear, but over time they stretch, and the engine loses some performance. I would get it changed. not for that price, but id still change it.

They may not crack .or show obvious signs of wear, but over time they stretch, and the engine loses some performance. I would get it changed. not for that price, but id still change it.
I disagree. Who cares if it loses "some performance"?

He's already said that he's not likely to have the car for more than another year. Run it till it dies then sell it for scrap.

You've saved yourself the (upwards of) $800 expense, and sell it for around $300.

That's an $1100 dollar swing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom