Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know this movie got some buzz for awards when it came out a couple of years ago but I never saw it. Recently, it was on HBO and I watched it. I have always loved Cold War Europe spy movies (I think it was Gotcha in the 80s that started it). I quickly realized that this was a movie where every single word of dialogue was hugely important. So I watched it intently, rewinding scenes if I didn't fully understand it.

At the end, I was fairly certain I got most of it, but I went online to read some commentary. Ultimately, I ordered the book and just finished reading it last night.

I think this story is awesome - really well crafted by John LeCarre'. I have talked to some people who said they thought the movie was boring, and I suppose that if you don't tap into the mystery off the bat, you could get lost and then get bored. There aren't a lot of action scenes but I found that you get thrown right into it and if you pay attention, it is very riveting . . . there is this archetypal mystery (who is the mole?) and it unravels steadily, but each piece is earned. The tension hangs and hangs throughout.

Gary Oldman was awesome as the steady and keen George Smiley and though I think the book tells the tale more appropriately, the movie is still really good. I really look forward to watching it again.

Anybody else? Are the other books as well crafted?

I got into LeCarre a few years ago and ate it up. Very enjoyable.
I think all his books are good.
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy are my favorites, but everything I have read by him is top notch.

As far as film adaptations, check out Lumet's "A Deadly Affair" - I really liked that one.

I got into LeCarre a few years ago and ate it up. Very enjoyable.
I think all his books are good.
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy are my favorites, but everything I have read by him is top notch.

As far as film adaptations, check out Lumet's "A Deadly Affair" - I really liked that one.

What did you think of the TTSP movie?

Have you ever seen the BBC mini-series with Alec Guinness?

zzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz i'm too simple minded, but I fell asleep while trying to watch this movie. Maybe I should try again.

zzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz i'm too simple minded, but I fell asleep while trying to watch this movie. Maybe I should try again.

In the first scene, the head of the service is clearly frazzled and paranoid about a mole. He sends a trusted agent to Czechoslovakia to meet an informant who is supposed to provide information on this mole. Instead it is a setup and he is shot.

If this mystery interests you, I think there's plenty to keep you going - in fact, every line of the script is important. Bit I can see how that would the case if the hook didn't grab you at the start.

There's not a lot of action in the traditional sense.

I really wanted to see the movie, so I bought the book instead. I probably won't be able to read it within the next year... Should I just watch the movie? (I know that is such a lame question)

Glad you posted this... had been meaning to watch this but totally forgot it existed.

I'm glad there's occasionally a movie that provides an intelligent plot that requires close attention... there's plenty of the alternative available anytime we want it!

I love Le Carre's novels. But I digress. "Gotcha" was excellent to me as a 15 year old boy. It's one of the few movies I wouldn't watch now because I am sure I would be horribly disappointed. To my mind Linda Fiorentino was beautiful and the girl who got shot in the butt with the rubber dart at the end had the best backside I've ever seen. I just can't desecrate those pubescent memories!! Total threadjack - sorry Chuck.

Back on point, the TTSS mini series was outstanding. If you are planning to watch it be aware that the US version was edited to six episodes from the seven originally screened by the beeb. (Thanks Wikipedia). That may actually be a good thing - I last watched the series over a decade ago, but I did have the impression it was a tad laboured. Nonetheless, to me, it was still compulsive viewing.

It was quite good and even got a chain smoking Captain Picard in it. Still believe I have it somewhere on my hard drive and otherwise it can be found on youtube (7 part version).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgTRl3lj78

I'd recommend that you'd watch Smiley's people as well, which is a continuation of the whole Karla story. It can also be found in it's entirety on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dh4tnvx2b8

I really wanted to see the movie, so I bought the book instead. I probably won't be able to read it within the next year... Should I just watch the movie? (I know that is such a lame question)

The book is awesome - but the whole thing is so full of the collection of details that "tie the knot" at George Smiley would say.

Actually, I watched the movie (thought I got most of it, but was still a bit confused), then read the book - which was easier to follow precisely because I had seen the movie - and it all came together.

I love Le Carre's novels. But I digress. "Gotcha" was excellent to me as a 15 year old boy. It's one of the few movies I wouldn't watch now because I am sure I would be horribly disappointed. To my mind Linda Fiorentino was beautiful and the girl who got shot in the butt with the rubber dart at the end had the best backside I've ever seen. I just can't desecrate those pubescent memories!! Total threadjack - sorry Chuck.

Ha! I completely agree - I would be afraid to watch Gotcha now because I suspect that it's pure 80s garbage. But I loved it as a 12 year old.

The oldman version is in my DVR right now.

Never saw the guiness one either but I have heard that's it's outstanding.

Gotcha... :17: It was a graduated step up from 'Cloak & Dagger'.

LeCarre seems to have a decent selection. Currently reading the entire works of Sherlock Holmes, but will start on the Karla Trilogy next.

What did you think of the TTSP movie?

I loved the movie. Very well-done and well-acted.

Did not like rhe fim of the constant gardener. It did a poor job of telling the story.

Have not seen the mini-series but will check it out

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom