Tip on contact lenses (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Alright peeps I got a way off topic (of the Saints) question that directly impacts my Fleur-de-V costume.

I got new contact lenses about 4-5 weeks ago and have only worn them about 5 times and to the last 3 home games (they're the 2 weeks wear disposable kind). I've slept in contacts in the past and taken old old contacts and rehydrated them with never a problem.

At the last two games (the last 2 times I've worn my contacts....because of the mask) I've had some issues but the first two games I wore them to they were fine. The first time they were just dry BUT when I took them out at home my eyes quickly (within minutes) turned blood red and I couldn't open my eyes in the light until 11-12 that night and still had to miss work the next day because of extreme light sensitivity and dryness. At todays game they really started irritating me in the second quarter but I brought my glasses just in case so after several trip to the john to splash water in my eyes, I took them out and wore my glasses on my mask but they quickly got worse and worse and I had to leave before the game ended (even though it was 31-10 at the time). Anyway, I thought is was the solution, but today was a different brand. The contacts should still be wearable (they have been in the past for eve longer times sitting in the case). So the question is:

Is it an allergic reaction I've suddenly developed (I forgot to mention the problem is strangely accompanied by a stuffy runny nose)? Should I buy a new box of lenses and try them (this will be hard considering how I cursed out the lady at the eye center at WalMart on the phone today on the ride home...leaving the game really made me mad)? Should I just wear my glasses on the mask and kind of look stupid?

I know its a way off topic post but I dont want to mess up the costume and I sure am ticked off I had to leave early but I couldnt keep my eyes open...and I always take a pic of the scoreboard at 0:00 too and I broke that streak.

TIps will be appreciated...and to the guy who after the Cincy game said we lost all games at home since I started wearing my costume...WE WON BABY!!...but it sux I couldn't leave with all the fans chantin WHODAT down the stairs and out to the lot.

Last edited:
It's possible that the mask interferes with air movement around your eyes. It may also be plasticizers from the mask getting trapped next to your eyes by the lenses.

You might could test it by wearing the contacts w/out the mask for a while. Then try the mask w/out contacts for a like period. Taping (with clear tape, of course) over the eyeholes will simulate the lack of air movement your eyes get when covered by the lenses.

If it only happens with lenses + mask, you can get prescription swim/raquetball goggles from any decent eyewear place...they should fit more-or-less well under the "V" mask. (Which looks damn cool, BTW)

Taurus is right...OXYGEN! Your eyes need oxygen. When you wear contacts, you restrict oxygen to them drastically. It seems that you have the "new" kind that allows more oxygen flow (hince can sleep/wear for two weeks). But, do wake-up to the fact that your eyes are affected with anything that you put on as a cover. Add the mask and the CO2 that you are exhaling inside of it...get the point. I stopped wearing the "most breathable contacts" and got the PRK surgery. I see better and no worries of infections or inflammation from oxygen deprivation.

Hope this helps. FYI, if I had not qualified for the laser surgery, I was going back to glasses. Contacts are great, but can cause serious damage to your eyes.

Thanks guys!! I am slowly saving for Lasik but that'll be a while. ANyway thanks for the tip....makes sense.

Also, make sure you're removing protein buildup with the right enzymatic cleaner. What happened to you has happened to me in the past, and it usually happens after I've slept with the lenses in.

I've also accidentally removed my lenses without washing my hands thoroughly - leading to an eye infection. I also learned NOT to use saliva to rinse them off. Too much bacteria in saliva.

LS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom