Tipping for Take-Out, Tip Jars, Etc. (1 Viewer)

I generally tip 20% unless I get some really poor service. At a bar I went to nearly every day in Nashville for two-three years I would go as far as 30% or higher since I routinely got free drinks -- effectively turning the bar's profit into the bartender's profit.

I will give you a tip don't eat at Sonic!!!!!!!!!!
All of my food poisonings has resulted from eating at Sonic!!!!

I too don't tip for takeout!

Man, I got food poisoning at Sonic once too. My stomach still turns if I smell that sauce they put on their chicken toaster sandwich.

I tip pretty well at restaurants, but why have a tip jar at a Smoothie King, Dunkin Donuts or places like that.
I used to work at Smoothie King. It doesn't take much effort to make a Smoothie. Same goes for Donut places. Why do I have to tip if a person turns around and grabs a Donut? Go figure.

But where do you draw the line? I worked @ a coffee house in college, and though we made minimum wage, we counted on tips as well.

If you pay "standard" wages for waitstaff, then the price of the food would increase considerably. This results in the # of people eating out to decrease, due to either being "out-charged" or being savvy enough to know that it just became insanely cheaper to cook for self. The resulting sales drop causes labor to increase, which would either shorten operation hours or drop the number of people working, which then means longer ticket times during peak hours (afterall, you can only serve so many people at once). Take in the human element of general impatience (particularly here in the States) and you have more people swearing off eating out... which means now cost of goods rises... it's just an ugly circle; I don't feel I need to continue. Tip your waitstaff.

I work in the service industry.

Thank you to those that do tip for ToGo. I understand the reasoning why some people don't especially when ToGo people usually makes minumum wage plus. If you see a bartender taking ToGo, odds are he/she is making $2.15-2.77.

I don't tip for coffee, chinese food, or to stand in a foyer. I don't tip for McDonalds type service from restaurant ToGo people, but I do for quality service never more than 10% usually $1-2.

Time for bed, more on this later.

PS: Had a lady tip me $10 for 40 of food. I also spent 10 mins on the phone with her and never got frustrated or rude.

Tipping is not illegal.. Not Even in ValleyBrook...

Joe

Last edited:
I tip on the level of service, or how much the waitress flirts with me. if I get to go from a restaurant say applebees then I normally leave a 2 dollar tip and I allways tip in cash never on the credit card. and yes if I go to a sonic and they bring it to the car I give them a tip.

if it's anything you're going to ingest and there's a tip jar, tip. otherwise you run the risk of ingesting something you don't want to. it's extortion, plain and simple.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom