tire question (1 Viewer)

Do you go faster than 130 mph? If not I don't think you would have a problem.

www.tirerack.com

Check these guys out for some good tire prices. For my car it was cheaper to order them online, pay shipping, and then pay someone to mount and balence them locally, than buying the tire locally.

That's my point. I don't drive that fast, and I can replace my tires with one that is more suitable to the way I drive, and the conditions I drive in - snow and rain. But they are H-rated, and not V-rated, which is what the "correct" tire is for my car.

That's my point. I don't drive that fast, and I can replace my tires with one that is more suitable to the way I drive, and the conditions I drive in - snow and rain. But they are H-rated, and not V-rated, which is what the "correct" tire is for my car.

You don't need to worry about the speed rating then, as long as the size is right.

The correct tire is a tire that matches your specified tire size, and whatever speed rating you want it to be, and how you use the car. . the speed rating is what is recommended by the manufacturer, you dont necesarily have to go by that recommendation.

The H speed-rated tire treats your wallet with less impact. I made that same decision when I owned a Mustang 5.0 Conv.

if you can find a place in the Northeast Corridor where we can go 130 mph (or even 50 mph), you better quit holding out and tell me where it is. :)

I was told (back in the day) when I had my RX-7 that the V rated tires were actually less safe for everyday driving. Had to do with the tires being made of harder rubber than the "lesser" rated tires.

The harder the rubber, the faster speed necesarry to heat up the tire. Warmer tires grip the road better than colder tires.

Or so I was told.

I was told (back in the day) when I had my RX-7 that the V rated tires were actually less safe for everyday driving. Had to do with the tires being made of harder rubber than the "lesser" rated tires.

The harder the rubber, the faster speed necesarry to heat up the tire. Warmer tires grip the road better than colder tires.

Or so I was told.

Yes, all-season tires will never get a "V" speed-rating. The highest you can find is "H". And performace tires, "V" rating and up, are lousy in the snow, and downright dangerous in the rain.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom