Tired of the "If the Saints only had a defense" (1 Viewer)

Why don't they just keep drafting DL and pass rushers with the first and second round picks until they find a few good ones?

Just don't understand this.

And usually these types of players are the BPA. So its not reaching. Reaches would be SJB, Patrick Robinson types of players.

After 2011 we should have drafted pass rushers in the early rounds only. We would not be in this spot. We maybe not have Ingram or Peat or even Mike Thomas but the offense is never the problem. Sean Payton and Drew Brees will always find a way to put up 30 points. We have almost never found a way to keep teams under 20.

The only notable pass rusher that they passed on since 2011 in the first round was Dee Ford and at the time they had Junior Gallette.

There just havent been very many good pass rusher drafts since 2011 until this year.

The saints haven't been missing much on pass rushers in the first two rounds. It's usually the rounds after that that has been the issue.

If the saints want a good pass rusher or two they'll likely have to trade up in the draft or free agency or sign one because they just cant evaluate talent well enough in later rounds to find one.

The only notable pass rusher that they passed on since 2011 in the first round was Dee Ford and at the time they had Junior Gallette.

There just havent been very many good pass rusher drafts since 2011 until this year.

The saints haven't been missing much on pass rushers in the first two rounds. It's usually the rounds after that that has been the issue.

If the saints want a good pass rusher or two they'll likely have to trade up in the draft or free agency or sign one because they just cant evaluate talent well enough in later rounds to find one.

Well in 2011 we traded a 2012 1st rounder to get Mark Ingram. In 2012, the Patriots took Chandler Jones with our 1st rounder.

Now Goodell probably takes that pick if we still had it but then he probably doesn't take out 2nd rounder.

With that 2nd rounder we could've taken Olivier Vernon who was picked a few spots later.

we forfeit the 2nd rounder. IF we didn't trade for ingram we likely keep this pick. Jonathan Hankins, Jamie Collins available then. We were high on Collins pre draft I remember. Now he's a pro bowl LB for the patriots and a difference maker. Though it could be argued Joe Vitt would've cut him in 2 years.

2014 we trade up for Cooks. I'm ok with that since he's a great player.

But if we stayed put we could've gotten Deonne Buchanan or Kelvin Benjamin
and more importantly retained the 3rd rounder.

in round 2, Kony Ealy

pass on Marcus Peters or Arik Amstead for Peat

Round 2 Stephony Anthony pass on Mario Edwards (who was injured this week for Raiders)

Obviously the draft is a crapshoot and my intention is not to cherry pick but simply point out good defensive players, pass rushers who were taken at around the same position where we picked. Therefore its reasonable to assume that these players were at least considered by the saints. And yet over 4 years we have accumulated little defensive talent, seemingly starting over from scratch to rebuild the defense every year. We keep moving laterally or backwards and changing schemes and coordinators when the real problem is talent acquisition and evaluation.

Well in 2011 we traded a 2012 1st rounder to get Mark Ingram. In 2012, the Patriots took Chandler Jones with our 1st rounder.

Now Goodell probably takes that pick if we still had it but then he probably doesn't take out 2nd rounder.

With that 2nd rounder we could've taken Olivier Vernon who was picked a few spots later.

we forfeit the 2nd rounder. IF we didn't trade for ingram we likely keep this pick. Jonathan Hankins, Jamie Collins available then. We were high on Collins pre draft I remember. Now he's a pro bowl LB for the patriots and a difference maker. Though it could be argued Joe Vitt would've cut him in 2 years.

2014 we trade up for Cooks. I'm ok with that since he's a great player.

But if we stayed put we could've gotten Deonne Buchanan or Kelvin Benjamin
and more importantly retained the 3rd rounder.

in round 2, Kony Ealy

pass on Marcus Peters or Arik Amstead for Peat

Round 2 Stephony Anthony pass on Mario Edwards (who was injured this week for Raiders)

Obviously the draft is a crapshoot and my intention is not to cherry pick but simply point out good defensive players, pass rushers who were taken at around the same position where we picked. Therefore its reasonable to assume that these players were at least considered by the saints. And yet over 4 years we have accumulated little defensive talent, seemingly starting over from scratch to rebuild the defense every year. We keep moving laterally or backwards and changing schemes and coordinators when the real problem is talent acquisition and evaluation.
aquisition, evaluation, utilization

Freaking tired of it. If we had a 20 - 25th ranked defense we would be a deep playoff team. Wasting Drew...

I think this offense might be the best ever by the end of the year. Best athletes we've ever had on the outside. If o-line holds up, every game will be an offensive shootout.

Sheldon Rankins is hurt.

Injuries matter. Continuity matters on Defense and we have new guys who have to figure each others strengths and weaknesses. We almost pulled out a win despite that obstacle and only lost by 1 point.

Because our Offense was as impressive as it was I don't think the Defense has as much work to do to be the complementary piece to our Offense. This gives me hope.

I can't believe the team (and to a certain degree, us as fans) really thought that trotting out a first year corner and two UDFA rookies in week 1 was a good idea.

We had UDFA rookies covering Amari Cooper and Michael frigging Crabtree. It was like pitch and catch out there!

Those rookies are good PROSPECTS, but probably ain't ready for primetime yet. We need to get Sterling Moore on the field asap, re-sign Finnegan, and hope to god the Keenan Lewis gets healthy and both sides let bygones be bygones.

If we only had a defense......

We could rush any passer
Interceptions would bring pleasure

If we only had a defense.

Clever. :hihi:

The most frustrating thing about this defense is that they do a damn good job at times, but crumble when it counts the most. At least in 2012 you could trust it was a steaming turdfest when they entered the arena. These guys give me hope and snatch it away from me time after time.

If Elerbe plays and Breaux doesn't get injured we would have had a completely different outcome.....This team is cursed with injuries. Look at Josh Hill, what did he play 1 snap? Out for how many games?

The most frustrating thing about this defense is that they do a damn good job at times, but crumble when it counts the most. At least in 2012 you could trust it was a steaming turdfest when they entered the arena. These guys give me hope and snatch it away from me time after time.

That's what happens when you are fielding a bunch of 2nd year players and UDFA rookies.

They have to learn how to finish out games and win.

Sad part is, they did that and we were flagged....:jpshakehead:

I think its time to move on from Mickey Loomis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom