Tires? (1 Viewer)

uproar90

Carpathian Warlock
Reaction score
Long story short...

Building a weekend toy...

94 Wrangler.

Need tires in the realm of 33x12.5x15 (considering 10.5 wide).

Pep Boys has 5 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on clearance...

Anyone have experience with this tire?

A good place to look up reviews on tires is tirerack. many customers post vehicle specific reviews, too.

what are you looking for out of the tire? Just bite only? Mileage? Mix of the 2? Quiet on the highway?

Bite....Super Swampers TSL Bogger
Mileage and quiet won't be that realistic with a mud tire..more of a trail tire or all season.
Mix....Toyo MT's. Love mine on my duramax. Great in the mud and I'm right at 60k miles on them although they're getting to the "shot" category pretty quickly.
MT's are a good tire but they're a soft compound so if you spend much time on the roads with them don't expect a lot of life from them.
I've heard good reviews on BFG MT's as far as good wear but never ran them. Had some BFG trail tires some years back and it was the worst tire I ever owned. Wouldn't buy a BFG tire with a gun to my head.
Goodyear MT's....ran those on an older truck I had. Good mileage, great in the mud, but loud loud loud on the highway once you put some miles on them. They also got extra expensive when they started using kevlar in the sidewalls. I sold that truck with those tires on it to a local kid. I would be in my garage and knew when my old truck would be coming by because I could hear him about a half mile before he got to the house. :D

...closing this chapter on the Jeep rebuild...

Wound up with the Baja Claws... They were originally $250'ish, but were on clearance for $199.99 and then I got an additional 15% off.

They fit the #1 goal of affordability for a toy/project.

Many reviews I found were positive as well, and the life expectancy is good to very good.

With this being a 'sometimes' and weekend driver, I'm expecting at least a number of years out of the tires, and that's my main goal...

good.....glad you found your tires. That jeep probably weighs next to nothing to begin with so tread life isn't going to be a huge issue with any tire. You'll be happy with those tires I bet. Good deal on those too. I've been shopping around for some toyo mt's for the truck this week.....$346 installed per tire is the best deal I've found so far. That's a tough pill to swallow but it's the best tire I've ran on the truck so far. I ran kuhmo KL71 mud tires on it at one time and although they were cheaper I only got 23k miles out of them. Saved a few hundred up front but ended up doing tires again 2 years later. That's when I went to toyo's.

Glad you are happy.
I now leave you with ancient wisdom.

Man standing in front of car gets tired.
Man standing behind car gets exhausted.

On order, scheduled to be delivered in the next week or two is new front winch bumper, new rear-tire carrier/bumper, Yukon Spartan locker for front diff, posi-lok/disconnect to replace the stock vacuum system.

Attachments

• bumpers.jpg
    bumpers.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
  • spartan locker.jpg
    spartan locker.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2
  • posilok.jpg
    posilok.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 23
Trying to get the rear-suspension done in the next week or two .. this weekend looks to be shot already w/ rain & family obligations.

Getting close.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom