Titans fired their GM (1 Viewer)

That AJ Brown trade did not look good

I can’t believe the Titans fired their GM. I mean I know they’ve dropped off this season to 7-5, but it’s not his fault that the Eagles GM totally ripped him off in a trade. Or that the Titans have kinda whiffed on their 1st rounders in ‘20 and ‘21. Oh wait . . .

Gayle Benson will never release Loomis. However, I can see a reassignment of some kind with a promotion of Ireland to the general manager job. The question is when will it happen. Unfortunately, I do not see it happening this offseason. It is going to take some financial pain--unsold season tickets and suites, and empty seats because those with tickets cannot sell their tickets and do not want to go to games--before there is a meeting of the minds at the top of the structure that the Saints need to go in a very different direction and that someone other than Loomis should be charting that direction.

Loomis should step aside and concentrate on the Pelicans. He's been in the job too long, 20 years, it's time to pass the torch.

Loomis should step aside and concentrate on the Pelicans. He's been in the job too long, 20 years, it's time to pass the torch.

I don't think Loomis has had anything to do with the Pelicans for a few years now. Not since they started the rebuild after the Davis trade. David Griffin runs the Pelicans now who are now a half game back of the top spot in the west. The Saints maybe need to do the same thing and remove Loomis from the daily operations of the team.

Last edited:
Gayle Benson will never release Loomis. However, I can see a reassignment of some kind with a promotion of Ireland to the general manager job. The question is when will it happen. Unfortunately, I do not see it happening this offseason. It is going to take some financial pain--unsold season tickets and suites, and empty seats because those with tickets cannot sell their tickets and do not want to go to games--before there is a meeting of the minds at the top of the structure that the Saints need to go in a very different direction and that someone other than Loomis should be charting that direction.
I agree. Loomis should move to team president and promote Ireland to GM. Let Ireland choose the next coach with a real search.

I can’t believe the Titans fired their GM. I mean I know they’ve dropped off this season to 7-5, but it’s not his fault that the Eagles GM totally ripped him off in a trade. Or that the Titans have kinda whiffed on their 1st rounders in ‘20 and ‘21. Oh wait . . .
I actually dig what the Titans GM had done. That team won their division going on 3 years running. Yeah trading Brown looks bad but drafting him in the 2nd round, getting 4 years of cheap production, and then flipping him for a 1st. That's what the Patriots do, and I don't know about any of ya'll, but we should try to do more stuff like the team responsible for arguably the most successful run by a sports team ever.

The Titans Fired Their GM. What’s Next? - The Ringer article (any counterpoints I made, I learned exactly 2 minutes ago while reading this thread).​

It's probably a hard pill to swallow when the guy you traded is a lot more productive than the Titans entire receiving corps. It's one thing to trade a premier receiver, but it's another to replace him with some really underperforming options. Burks, Woods, and Hooper has been bad. If you're going to trade Brown, you better have a good option to fall on especially when your ball club has championship aspirations.

I actually dig what the Titans GM had done. That team won their division going on 3 years running. Yeah trading Brown looks bad but drafting him in the 2nd round, getting 4 years of cheap production, and then flipping him for a 1st. That's what the Patriots do, and I don't know about any of ya'll, but we should try to do more stuff like the team responsible for arguably the most successful run by a sports team ever.

The Titans Fired Their GM. What’s Next? - The Ringer article (any counterpoints I made, I learned exactly 2 minutes ago while reading this thread).​

I get what you're saying. One thing, the Titans got 3 years out of Brown, not 4. That said, to evaluate a GM, you've got to look at both who they're paying, but also, who they decided /not/ to pay. In hindsight, Brown was worthy of paying. The Titans offense doesn't look good without him. Hindsight may be 20/20 and unfair, but why should GMs make big bucks as opposed to, say, you and me, if they make poor decisions?

The Saints' analogy might be Trey Hendrickson. At DE, a coveted position in the NFL, he had 13.5 sacks the year before the Saints let him go, 14 the following year with the Bengals, has missed 2 games in the past 3 seasons ("the best ability is availability").

If a GM had decided, Hendrickson's the real deal, we better plan on extending him, then maybe you don't draft Marc-Payton Daventurner (Doubtful/OUT). You have to look for money elsewhere (hey, maybe don't extend Peat!). But you free up those first rounders to fill other holes, since picks and $$ are fungible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom