Titans Hiring of Greg Williams - SI. What a Gem! (1 Viewer)

I'll say this about that SF game... the defense kept us close in that game after the offense continuously turned the ball over, which gave the offense time to get themselves together and make that late push. But the defense let us down in the end with those 2 ridiculous drives by Alex Smith and Vernon Davis.

So yeah we can blame the offense for the turnovers, but the defense shares blame as well... gained the lead TWICE late in the game and couldn't close the deal.

Yep. People seem to forget how truly hideous the offense was that game. We lost PT early and took most of the game to recover from that. The defense did truly keep us in that game, as it really should have been a blowout. It's kind of funny that after saving us all game long, it would be the defense that would blow it so badly in the final minutes.

I'll say this about that SF game... the defense kept us close in that game after the offense continuously turned the ball over, which gave the offense time to get themselves together and make that late push. But the defense let us down in the end with those 2 ridiculous drives by Alex Smith and Vernon Davis.

So yeah we can blame the offense for the turnovers, but the defense shares blame as well... gained the lead TWICE late in the game and couldn't close the deal.

Boom. I was at that game... heartbreaking to see to say the least.

Our offense struggled mightily that game but still put 30+ points on a STIFF SF defense on the road in the playoffs. And that place was ROCKING. Loud as hell and really gave me an appreciation at how awesome Drew Brees is.

Anyhow, the offense turned the ball over 3 times (PT fumble and two Brees INTs) but let's not forget our special teams fumbling TWICE and giving SF great field position in which our D held.

I'll say this, our D kept us in that game because if you were there like I was it wasn't a game we should've been in at all. Our offense came to life in the fourth and did what it needed to do to win the game. Gregg Williams' stubborness of how he coaches cost us that game at the end. As soon as I saw Malcolm Jenkins covering Vernon Davis in one-on-one (NO HELP!), I was screaming for us to double him. You could literally see it a mile away. If I can see it, you know SF could too. It was bad coaching down the stretch.

Yep. People seem to forget how truly hideous the offense was that game. We lost PT early and took most of the game to recover from that. The defense did truly keep us in that game, as it really should have been a blowout. It's kind of funny that after saving us all game long, it would be the defense that would blow it so badly in the final minutes.

This^. This is the most objective analysis I've seen. Thanks much. Really good stuff.

How any organization, player, or coach could ever have any trust in Greg Williams is beyond me.

GW sold out the entire Saints Organiztion to save is own butt. What the media and most everyone else never caught on to is the reason GW is coaching again this season is because he said and did whatever the NFL told him to including lying about players and coaches statements. Sean Payton wasn't going to admit to something he didn't do regardless if it meant not being reinstated early.

According to the NFL own version of events GW was the one who brought and instituted the p4p system to the Saints yet he didnt even get the most severe punishment! That alone should tell you something smells really fishy. The Saints Organization as a whole faced more severe penalties than GW, the last one still to come in the second round of this year's draft. But even if you just compare a head coach losing a year's salary vs a coordinator's salary it's not even close, not to mention that the life expectancy of an NFL head coaches job is so much shorter in general than a coordinator. Greg Williams has proved that when it comes crunch time he will sell out anyone to save his own hide, why would anyone trust him again. He certainly doesn't deserve a second chance in my book unless he came completly clean and told the truth about it all. That won't happen until afte he retires and writes his book!

Go screw yourself Greg Williams! I hope it bites the Titans in the a** for hiring him!:)

Flame if you will, but I think the GW hiring was the most significant new piece of the 2009 SB. I also think GW was the main reason we lost to the 49ers. Interesting article.

I disagree with nothing. I actually thought our defense in 2011 was pretty good, we went 13-3! But his game planning and in-game coaching in San Francisco was abysmal.

That said, it seems he was fired less for coaching and more for interpersonal and off-field stuff. I think Rob Ryan is a direct attempt by Sean Payton to bring back much of the Greg Williams era.

Gregg was a lame duck coach, I honestly dont think he cared anymore at that point. He knew he had a new gig lined up with the Rams.

I actually still wonder about that. I am, typically, the least "conspiracy theorist" guy out there, but the lack of adjustments and approach late in the game vs the 49ers was completely inexplicable. It made so little sense it continues to gnaw at the back of my mind even today.

That said, overall the 2011 defense was pretty good at accomplishing what it was asked to do. We were 12th or 13th in points allowed (I'm not going to look it up again), and if you offer that to me in any Sean Payton/Drew Brees season I'm taking the over on 11+ games. And winning.

How any organization, player, or coach could ever have any trust in Greg Williams is beyond me.

GW sold out the entire Saints Organiztion to save is own butt. What the media and most everyone else never caught on to is the reason GW is coaching again this season is because he said and did whatever the NFL told him to including lying about players and coaches statements. Sean Payton wasn't going to admit to something he didn't do regardless if it meant not being reinstated early.

According to the NFL own version of events GW was the one who brought and instituted the p4p system to the Saints yet he didnt even get the most severe punishment! That alone should tell you something smells really fishy. The Saints Organization as a whole faced more severe penalties than GW, the last one still to come in the second round of this year's draft. But even if you just compare a head coach losing a year's salary vs a coordinator's salary it's not even close, not to mention that the life expectancy of an NFL head coaches job is so much shorter in general than a coordinator. Greg Williams has proved that when it comes crunch time he will sell out anyone to save his own hide, why would anyone trust him again. He certainly doesn't deserve a second chance in my book unless he came completly clean and told the truth about it all. That won't happen until afte he retires and writes his book!

Go screw yourself Greg Williams! I hope it bites the Titans in the a** for hiring him!:)

:worthy: profound words indeed. The entire NFLPA thinks hes a rat and Titans players are going to ignore every word he says. Sold out the family like Joe Valachi! Hes carrying about as much clout as spags.

Gregg was a lame duck coach, I honestly dont think he cared anymore at that point. He knew he had a new gig lined up with the Rams.[/QUOTE]
Yes he was a lame duck coach, if I remember Sean Payton said GW wanted to know if the Saints were going to give him a new contract, because he needed to let Jeff Fisher and the Rams know if he was going to take the Rams DC job

I think Rob Ryan is a direct attempt by Sean Payton to bring back much of the Greg Williams era.

Really good point. If Ryan works out, he brings in the intensity and swagger of GW as well as a coach who knows who he reports to and not GW to whom SP signed over full defensive coaching rights.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom