Titans Hiring of Greg Williams - SI. What a Gem! (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Flame if you will, but I think the GW hiring was the most significant new piece of the 2009 SB. I also think GW was the main reason we lost to the 49ers. Interesting article.

Of course -- because in his last year in New Orleans, Williams' blitzes were abject failures. His risk-taking against San Francisco turned out to be part of the Saints' downfall that day, including one that left the left side mostly naked when Alex Smith took off on a long end-sweep touchdown. Munchak, and the Titans, hope Williams' brash all-or-nothing schemes will be tamped down working with coaches less inclined to throw so many risky blitzes at the quarterback.

You think Goodell listened to Munchak and every other coach who has worked with GW for the past 20 years. Hell No he didn't!

"The stuff Gregg said, I heard him say it a hundred times, going back to when we [the Oilers] hired him as a quality-control in 1990. I never thought he crossed the line. It was just the way he talked. Rah rah. No one ever thought he meant to hurt anyone. If I didn't know him, his words would probably be a problem. But I knew Gregg. I'd heard it all before.

Mike Munchak, Tennessee Titans think Greg Williams will fit after bounty scandal - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Payton knew we needed an adjustment on defense including player attitude and aggressiveness. GW brought that. It worked in 2009 but became too predictable after that season. Hoping Rob Ryan provides that oomph on defense in 2013.

the consensus now is that Payton refused to stop p4p when told, so that's why the penalties were so severe...of course i believe that's a bunch of bs too

Gregg was a lame duck coach, I honestly dont think he cared anymore at that point. He knew he had a new gig lined up with the Rams.

Flame if you will, but I think the GW hiring was the most significant new piece of the 2009 SB. I also think GW was the main reason we lost to the 49ers. Interesting article.

Your absolutely right. GW hiring was the most significant piece of 2009 SB and he was the main reason Saints lost to the 49ers.

PK still insists on taking "kill the head" literally...it's too bad Munchak fell down on that and didn't point out, after making the point that it was intended as "get in the opponent's head and take him mentally out of the game," that "hey, if you want to think he meant to go headhunting, go look at the 60 minutes of game tape and point out a single instance of any Saints player headhunting. If they don't, then why do you insist on thinking it was literal?" Let PK sputter a Goodell-friendly answer to that one.

im just glad we don't have to deal with the circus. i want laser sharp focuz in 2013.

i do think it speaks volumes to the disparity between the league office's opinion on the matter and reality. no one actually involved in the game, players, coaches, etc, actually gives a flip about what was said or what the saints were accused of. and of course i'm still bitter over the fact that payton got the same punishment as the guy who was demonized in the whole thing, but at the same time i think the whole thing was a farce so good for him for getting back on a team.

Not reading a Peter King article, but nice try.

Gregg was a lame duck coach, I honestly dont think he cared anymore at that point. He knew he had a new gig lined up with the Rams.

I would agree with that, but knowing the weakness's his defense had, as in blitzing and leaving corners in man coverage, it seemed to not matter.

I'm not sure if I would call him a bad coach, just one that I hope has learned a lesson in many ways.

He gambled multiple times and failed. Sometimes you are a hero when gambling (SP with ambush) or you are a goat (GW playoff game against SF).

GW always gambles. The offense cranked out 5 turnovers, 4 of which I beleive were inside our own 30 yard line. There is nothing the Defense could have done to make them much worse than that. What would have happened if the offense didn't turn the ball over and gifted the Niners 17 points? We would have blown them out.

I would agree with that, but knowing the weakness's his defense had, as in blitzing and leaving corners in man coverage, it seemed to not matter.

I'm not sure if I would call him a bad coach, just one that I hope has learned a lesson in many ways.

I think he's a great motivator with the same basic bag of tricks, all to rattle the QB. He brought swagger to our defense. But the bag of tricks got discovered and no swagger would make-up for the predictability with the wrong players.

I'll say this about that SF game... the defense kept us close in that game after the offense continuously turned the ball over, which gave the offense time to get themselves together and make that late push. But the defense let us down in the end with those 2 ridiculous drives by Alex Smith and Vernon Davis.

So yeah we can blame the offense for the turnovers, but the defense shares blame as well... gained the lead TWICE late in the game and couldn't close the deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom