To add or not to add? Cooking Crawfish.... (1 Viewer)

deltadawg

All-Pro
Reaction score
Who all cooks crawfish individually from their fixings? I usually add lemon, potatoes, and onion. Then add my crawfish with my whole mushrooms. Lastly I add my corn and sausage. Wondering who all does theirs seprete? Been thinking about trying it.. Looking for the pros and cons.

thanks

That's the way I do it too. cooking the onions, celery, potatoes and sometimes carrots makes a good stock for the heads. I add a bunch of garlic too but some garlic later so I have some whole cloves at the end...frozen corn only takes a minute or so at the end...

I do everything at once except sausage or fatty meats. I don't like my crawfish covered in sausage grease.

Frankly, I'd rather grill my sausage than berl it anyway.

All the rest is fair game and, brussel sprouts are the win!

I do everything at once except sausage or fatty meats. I don't like my crawfish covered in sausage grease.

Frankly, I'd rather grill my sausage than berl it anyway.

All the rest is fair game and, brussel sprouts are the win!

A hearty Amen on no greasy boil.

When do y'all add Brussel sprouts to the boil? Same time as the corn?

Blood oranges are awesome. Gives the mix an awesome sweet taste.

I'd have to try the oranges before I did them myself.. I'd be scared to mess a batch up.

As long as its not liquid boil I am usually ok with whats added. Liquid boil adds something that kills it. Prefer a nice spice mix and the Zatarains crab boil bags personally. We fly in live crawfish yearly and Sal's riverside has a good boil spice mix.

Well I usually have a secondary pot for sausage, pickled meat, tasso and additional mushrooms, corns, and potatoes.

In the main pot....corn, potatoes, and mushrooms, garlic, onion, celery, bell peppers (other peppers like jalapeno, habanero, etc) an of course special seasonings mix. Oh yeah the crawfish too.

When we get Shrimp straight from the boat you know how you get extra stuff? Like fish and other assorted sea life....well I did a shrimp boil last summer and we had a decent sized flounder and redfish in with the shrimp and after I added shrimp to boil I put the 2 fish in one of those mesh laundry bags and put it on top of the shrimp just below the surface........that fish fell apart when we took it out and it was awesome!!!!.

Moved back to NOLA back in August 2010. I've finally gathered the courage to go out and buy my own set-up. Also, I've never boiled before either. Anyone have suggestions? What manufacturer do guys like? Where's a good place to get it from? What size? Any accessories that I may overlook but should definitely buy besides the pot and stand? All input welcome :9: This year I'm gonna do it!

I don't imagine that I will boil more than a few times a season and usually for about a dozen family and friends at the most.

Since I'm allergic to crawfish, I'm all about the vegetables, mushrooms, and other meats at a crawfish boil. Love the potatos and mushrooms, but I recently discovered boiled celery and cabbage. I like sausage but prefer turkey necks. Those things are awesome when done right. In case you're wondering, I don't have an anaphylactic reaction to shellfish. I mostly swell up. I take benedryl when I know I'm going to a crawfish boil even if I don't eat crawfish.

My personal fav’s . Asparagus and Artichokes

Even had a friend (I use that term loosely) talk me into canned corn (In a can). Took the paper off, washed the can up nice. Poked half a dozen holes in each flat end and dropped that puppy in for about 5 minutes. Now I use powder (Pour and Boil) and can I tell you when I opened that can of corn, Oh. meme. that thing was like a filter and the can was almost solid red and black with seasoning. You couldn't hardly identify a piece of corn. Might as well ate a spoon full of pour and boil.

Here's my secret. Shhhhh.. When you are done boiling and the water is cooling down. Drop a half a dozen oysters in the shell at a time in that water and let them soak for 5 minutes or so. The hot water pops them shells and those oysters poach in that hot boil. Everyone will wonder why you aint eaten crawfish. Just tell them you're cleaning up, don't worry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom