To all the old timers (1 Viewer)

I feel like this post is 10 years too late....Saints have won a Super Bowl, have had multiple 10+ win seasons...this thread would make more since in year three of the Sean Payton Era not the 13th.
C'mon, Meily, a little respect. ;) This our equivalent to "we used to walk 6 miles to school, barefoot in the snow" story.

I was 8 for their first season in the NFL. :cheer:
I was 28 when they had their first winning season.:cheer:
I was 41 when they won their first playoff game.:cheer:
I was 47 when they made it their first NFCCG.:cheer:
I was 50 when they won the Super Bowl.:cheer::cheer::cheer:

There a lot of "wait until next year" seasons in there.

Edit: Dang, my birthday is in early January so I was actually 48 & 51 for the last two milestones. Yeah, I know, more old man joke fodder.

Last edited:
C'mon, Meily, a little respect. ;) This our equivalent to "we used to walk 6 miles to school, barefoot in the snow" story.

Man, you're old.

When I talk to fans of others teams and such, I often refer to this period in saints history as the “golden age” of the saints era....
....the “billy joe” quarterback years, and everything pre 1987 was rough (damn 49ers!)....

I don’t think there has been a game in the past 13 years that I did not think we could win (maybe a few games when Payton was suspended)....call me a bit of a cynic, but I am usually pretty satisfied when we win 7 games....thinking, that’s not too bad of a season (i always think 7 is a good win total because of the old 14 game seasons)....

this has been the golden age indeed!

can you believe we are possibly (and very likely) on our way to our 3rd division championship in a row?

Yes, I remember when 8 wins was a benchmark for a successful season. I remember when I looked at the game from the standpoint of “how were the Saints” going to lose” when they had a lead vs. now of “I wonder how we are going to pull this out.”

Not going to lie, I saw Favre moving the Vikings into FG position to kick it through the uprights as time expired. I knew it was going to happen. I could barely watch as Hartley was the one that split the uprights. My wife and daughter had long since left the room as my myriad of emotions was more than they could bear to watch.

I have to admit that I expect the Saints to win now, and I am stunned when they lose. Almost as if you drop something and it falls up. Still, I remember the bad years, and yes 8 wins is still something to celebrate.

Good analogy. You forgot to mention that our walk to school was uphill... both ways! :hihi:

No... You never forget your history. We aren't a snob fanbase. This week we possibly get to clinch a winning season and that is worth remembering and celebrating.

We may be set up for life after Brees, but what about after Payton, Loomis, Gayle, and etc..

Never take it for granted for we don't how long it could take for us to get back here.

Agreed 100%. Excellent post.

Yes, I remember when 8 wins was a benchmark for a successful season. I remember when I looked at the game from the standpoint of “how were the Saints” going to lose” when they had a lead vs. now of “I wonder how we are going to pull this out.”

Not going to lie, I saw Favre moving the Vikings into FG position to kick it through the uprights as time expired. I knew it was going to happen. I could barely watch as Hartley was the one that split the uprights. My wife and daughter had long since left the room as my myriad of emotions was more than they could bear to watch.

I have to admit that I expect the Saints to win now, and I am stunned when they lose. Almost as if you drop something and it falls up. Still, I remember the bad years, and yes 8 wins is still something to celebrate.

The ending of the last two seasons brought flashbacks of the old days, and not in a good way.

For you young guys just think of every game ending like that, it was real and it happened. Just waiting for disaster because it was coming because you felt it in your gut, it was real.

I remember those days as a kid when my Dad suffered through those dreadful years, cursing the tv. I was a kid and thought it was funny.

To be honest, when Drew got hurt, I thought we'd be lucky to have an even record right now. Yet, we're 8-2, so I'd say it's been very successful so far. I don't know how far we will go, but it's definitely worth it to just try to enjoy the ride. It's been pretty decent.

Saints are 8 - 2 and have clinched a non-losing season!

For the young ones here this WAS the benchmark for a great season!

Man have times changed.

Man, remember those days. Just hoping for our first winning season. Then it came in 1987 against the Steelers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom