To anyone that thinks Loomis will be fired... (1 Viewer)

This is not a problem of a person, this is problem of structure.

Dennis Lauscha and Mickey Loomis are the people that Benson trusts in his sports business.

Lauscha has always been the de facto power. He basically makes the decisions a regular owner would.

Mickey is in charge of heading the saints and pelicans, and here is the problem.

Mickey is a good administrator, an aggressive guy who takes the business to the limit looking for the best results possible.

Mickey has never been a football guy, he has never been a scout or and x's and o's kind of guy. The best asset Mickey has is to know what his limits are and surround himself with quality manager to do the job as best as possible.

For money issues (cap), he has relied on Khai Harley, for building the team he relied on Rick Reiprish (draft) and Ryan Pace (pros). Reiprish and Pace were strong opinions to balance with Payton's, but the structure changed.

Pace left and Reiprish was fired, and here comes Ireland and Terry Fontenot.

It is too early to judge Ireland's draft but they it seems we are getting better (not spectacular results). Now, on the hiring of free agents, I think we have less then good experiences.

I think the biggest problem with free agency is that we have gone for the kill, looking to get free agents that are supposed to by the "cherry of the pie", the last piece of the puzzle.

We have given big money to positions like tight end and safety, and to my judgement this are not the building blocks for a team.

If I have to define the problem is the lack of strategy:

- We need to choose a scheme, marry to it, and build upon it.
- We need to have a budget by group and respect it.
- We have to understand that some key positions are only filled with draft picks and that free agency is for secondary positions and depth.
- We should be using free agency money to sign players that are hitting prime but haven't been even starters on their original team. That takes a lot of scouting.
- Big contracts are only for our own players. Players we know they will continue performing on high level.
- We should use our later draft picks for developing players that after a couple of years can substitute players that may leave after their first contract.

And more important, we should be patient and understand that we are not a player away, we need to reinforce our systems, and continue to patiently build around them. That is the way to keep a team competitive, and with some luck, to advance deep in the playoffs.

Mickey can build a structure like this, but he needs to find people that makes him (and Payton) to be more patient. To me, Lauscha should be that man.

Great Post

The more I think about, the more I think Loomis is a bigger problem than Payton. He's either a bad personnel guy or he's not a personnel guy at all. Either is not acceptable for a GM.

Don't fall into the trap of negativity, Bonchie. You've been a bright spot on this forum. One of only a few...

Doesn't Ireland have a voice in talent and addition that has been in place the last couple of years that has lead to some better personnel additions ?

Not all have been perfect but none are for any team but last two years have been better

Don't fall into the trap of negativity, Bonchie. You've been a bright spot on this forum. One of only a few...

It's not being negative to acknowledge the string of free agent misses and dead money. It's only negative if you can't project a way forward that avoids those mistakes.

And that's not acceptable for a GM of an NFL franchise.

That may be true from a sports perspective where the goal is to win a championship. But the real goal for an owner is to be happy first, make money second, and win a championship third.

Loomis has a check in all 3 boxes.

Loomis is pretty much the Money Man who depends on Ireland and Fontenot to make personnel decisions, IIRC. He makes the numbers work. I'm not passing judgment on the team based on this year's results because of the insane amount of injuries. We don't even resemble the same team on defense that we pictured at the end of training camp - and that would ruin any team's situation heading into the first quarter of the season.

He's not the GM of the Pels either. He's basically over Demps in the hierarchy of things in that organization, overseeing what he's doing and has the last say on contracts after Demps has worked them out.

I'll probably get flamed for this but

It's hilarious to me that several years ago, it was all "MIHL" and "How does he do it? Loomis is the cap king"

Did yall not realize that reassigning money to signing bonuses and extending money to the back end of contracts would end up expiring it's shelf life? D-day had to come eventually.

We need better scouts to assist, and we need loomis to continue cutting the dead weight now that we have a fresher cap and signing healthy contracts that are both productive and cap friendly. Rebuild mode is on. And we have the talent to make this season somewhat memorable once we are healthy (praying to God that happens)

Nope. Tom Benson considers making Mickey Loomis his GM best ever decision https://t.co/BdVDivJs0v
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) September 30, 2016
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Because Benson is a business man and from the business side of making things happen and massaging numbers and deals Loomis is one of the best. But a football GM also ideally needs great football judgement and it's questionable that Loomis has that without solid input from an expert who has played or coached the game at this level, and it seems his main input to his decisions has come from Reiprish, Payton and now Ireland to an extent.

I would have trouble seeing him push back on those guys on a football prospect.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom