To blitz or not to blitz A Smith? (1 Viewer)

Great Dane

He who dares wins
Reaction score
Last week we probably saw the most aggressive blitzing scheme by our defense this season. It worked against the Falcons.

Should we continue this against the 49'rs or would that weaken our run defense and open up holes for Gore or screen passes?

What do you think?

With our secondary, blitzing is always needed. The DBs can't cover if the QB has time to scan the field.

Blitz him like there's no tomorrow. The less we have to rely on our DB's to remain in coverage, the better our DB's will look. That may open up the run or screen, but I'd rather get to Alex than to Gore or Davis.

ATL didn't run a single screen all game last week... With the way were blitzing, they might have been able to gash us. S.F. will run some screens, probably to both Gore and Davis, and we need to be ready. I still say blitz, but we've gotta pick our spots.

It seemed the Saints were using run blitzes also last week, and that helped to keep Warrick Dunn in check also. I would think they should do the same this week. Do not give this young QB time to get into a rhythm.

Do not blitz too much. Eventually it will become predictable and Gore will nail us for some big gains.

I say blitz a good bit but more importantly fake the blitz, mix up the coverage schemes and even use some of the zone blitzing that we practiced early in the year. A. Smith is still young and we need to make his see things that arent there.

I watched the Sanfran/St louy game on Ondemand last night.. and their Def seems to be similar to ours . but thier offense seems to be run first, and out of every formation, the recievers made some great catches for the niners, it will be a tough game.

I say blitz a good bit but more importantly fake the blitz, mix up the coverage schemes and even use some of the zone blitzing that we practiced early in the year. A. Smith is still young and we need to make his see things that arent there.

Bingo. Confuse him... and then our offense will abuse them. :hihi:

I went through the 49ers last 8 games (they are 4-4 over that span). Only once did Smith throw more than 25 passes (and that game was only 31 pass attempts). For that 8 game span, he's averaging 23.9 pass attempts (63.4 completion %) and 144.8 yards per game, with a total of 8 TDs and 9 INTs. They definitely are not putting the game in his hands and saying you need to win it. Probably overstating the obvious, but they'll hope to control the game with Gore and try and make it a 20-17 type game. If we can get up early, Gibbs will unleash the hounds...

I don't see a need to blitz all that often. We've been successful against the less-powerful offenses just doing our jobs and forcing enough three-and-outs to keep them from getting a rhythm.

People don't realize that we've been effective enough getting coverage sacks without a ton of blitzing. We're 6th in the NFL with 29 sacks, 22.5 by our DL, and that's the quietest stat on the team and a big reason for our defensive success without a dominant DL or a dominant secondary: just do your jobs and cover guys without worrying about picks and strips, trust your teammates to do their jobs, and get off the field and let the offense go score.

This mentality helped us beat the Browns and the Packers while we still didn't know what we had, and gave us solid wins against the Bucs and Falcons in recent weeks.

I don't see a need to blitz all that often. We've been successful against the less-powerful offenses just doing our jobs and forcing enough three-and-outs to keep them from getting a rhythm.

People don't realize that we've been effective enough getting coverage sacks without a ton of blitzing. We're 6th in the NFL with 29 sacks, 22.5 by our DL, and that's the quietest stat on the team and a big reason for our defensive success without a dominant DL or a dominant secondary: just do your jobs and cover guys without worrying about picks and strips, trust your teammates to do their jobs, and get off the field and let the offense go score..
I tend to agree with this view. I think our DL and DE's will eventually get to Smith and push him around. Throw in a blitz or two and we are there

I think that run blitzes on most downs will be effective. The reason that i think this is, by doing so, it will force them to keep their tight ends in to block. Their TE's are very skilled receivers and if they get off the line, the could have a big day, especially if Clark gets more playing time do to Simineau's injury.

The biggest thing is to stop the run. Stop Gore and we have a very good chance to win this game. I don't think Alex can beat the Saints with his arm. But I think he will test McKenzie and MM will have 1 or 2 ints. The biggest load will be on the safeties. They will have to come up and stop the run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom