To everyone over reacting about Davenport.. (1 Viewer)

Billgluckman

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Go back and watch. He got handled on a couple snaps on the right side but also took a finger to eye(looked like he did to me). After that he was used in the middle a good bit and was very effective when rushing the qb, but a lot of the time he dropped back into coverage or to spy the qb.

Watch this vid and pay attention. If nothing else just go to the 9:10 mark and watch him drop back.

It’s not Davenport vs T-Rex... they play for the same team, so if both can get it done, awesome for the team!
It’s not about the draft picks for Davenport either, that’s over and done with... it’s about development and reaching the ceiling. Davenport should keep getting better

After 1 game it looks like he is having a sophomore slump. I am wondering if he has confidence problems after the toe injury. He looked very tentative and almost distracted out there. It is night and day between his intensity and TRex's. To be fair, though, TRex did not look like this in year 1 or 2. Right now, however, TRex should have more playing time.

Go back and watch. He got handled on a couple snaps on the right side but also took a finger to eye(looked like he did to me). After that he was used in the middle a good bit and was very effective when rushing the qb, but a lot of the time he dropped back into coverage or to spy the qb.

Watch this vid and pay attention. If nothing else just go to the 9:10 mark and watch him drop back.

He let Watson get outside on the TD
Really the only bad play I saw from him
A few things
- he was really good at that last year
- Cam lost contain twice which is quite the rarity
so if I’m guessing DA had the ends pinch inside to help a leaky middle

Needs to show much more consistency. He plays really high...a pro like Tunsil is going to wash him out. I think that a part of it is conditioning. He's a big guy and it's much easier to stay high. But you look a Calais Campbell, a DE that is even bigger, and you will see that he plays significantly lower than Davenport. Hopefully he arrives in better shape next year so that there is something to build upon. Fortunately, as long as the Saints stay healthy at DE, we really don't need Davenport to be more than a rotation guy right now.

Not over reacting about Davenport but I do have some concerns. I think allot of us do. I excepting a little more from him. He still has a steep learning curve but does show some flashes here and there

It will take a review of the game video, and a number of times he was playing inside. But I made a point of trying to watch him and was not impressed. Last year he flashed his athletic ability. I did not see it last night, and I saw little of it during the preseason. His lack of development is a concern. In fairness, we need to wait until November to comment on his development. But I was expecting more growth from him.

For me, I didn't think he played all that bad. Not the way most people expect him to but decent enough. He had some pressure but too many plays he was out muscled. But this is his first time ever playing significant minutes. Hope in time he will improve. But Trey did a better job though.

The problem he had is that his mistake this game was a really bad, glaring one that led to a TD (completely failing to contain on Watson's 4th down TD run). He looked good before his injury last year, so I'm not saying the guy sucks, but when your mistake leads to a TD people are going to vent in the heat of the moment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom