To the Belichick is playing 4d chess crowd (1 Viewer)

Just what is your personal grudge against Belichick? What is it about the greatness of a coach winning 10 or more games FOR 17 SEASONS that you don't understand? And, as pointed out by others above, at 10-2 with a QB playing like horse dung?

I don't like it myself because he's a jerk but he's also the greatest coach in the history of the league and anyone who doesn't see that has some sort of emotional block preventing them from recognizing an obvious fact.

Again, you are making irrelevant arguments with the 17 seasons stuff. We are talking about THIS year, the present, the here and now, this exact moment in time and space. Not years ago. How many ways can I say that?

And such an emotional response, seems like it would be better suited for the Pats board than this one. Sounds like you are carrying some water for Billy boy and Grandpa Brady.

The 10-2 is the only part of your post that is relevant to this current discussion. I'll give them their due on defense. That is the only reason they have the record that they do. But I am still not impressed with the overall team. They beat the Bills (which was a good win) and the Steelers. The other 8 wins came against bottom feeders with losing records. And they were destroyed by the 2 best teams they played this year. Destroyed. Absolutely shredded, including that defense which has carried them to 10-2. Jackson and Watson made them look like clowns, that is undeniable

So it's going to take a lot more than an inflated record and complete annihilation by BAL/HOU to convince me about their team this year. I think they are pretenders. And with Brady in the shape he is in they do not have the offense to hang big numbers or keep up with the high scoring teams that can. They will be an easy out for the Ravens/Texans/Chiefs with their young superstar QBs that are ready to seize the mantle for the next 20 years.

Brady and BB had their time, but now it is over.

whats that got to do withTHIS year with Grandpa Brady rapidly declining at 42?
If you would've picked the whole season's numbers then I'd say you have an argument but you picked a portion of this season to fit the narrative. If you can pick and choose what data to use then why can't others? On the season Brady is ranked 17th and Trubinsky is ranked 27th in total QBR

Last edited:
1. The defense does account for a good portion of their wins.

2. Brady not having anyone the throw to is their fault. How many times have you heard that the Patriots are the leagues model team and how Belichick is a genius cause he can plug pieces in. They had Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown and let them go. AB was let go before any punishment was levied. Look at all the receivers we go through and there is no national story about Brees having just one main receiver. Not to mention they traded for Sanu, they did try to get him help. Everyone is crying like there are HOF receivers out there not playing on a team that the Patriot can just go get that for some reason the other 31 teams would overlook.

Nothing lasts forever. You are starting to see the decline of the Patriots. Once they stop winning Superbowls or another team takes over the division, they will have to start paying market prices to keep and attract talent. It looks like Buffalo is trying to be that team.

Patriots are 10-2 with a QB playing with those numbers. I'm not sure what the point about Belichick is supposed to be.
And this whole "Grandpa Brady" thing is stupid. He's a whopping one year older than Brees. Is the OP going to start making fun of Brees if the unthinkable were to happen and we lose Michael Thomas for any considerable amount of time and we have no receivers for him to throw to?

Belichick being 10-2 with Brady playing poorly goes to show how good of a coach he is, not the other way around. I'd think that would be obvious. I mean, it's cute to compare a snapshot of Brady and Trubisky, but the truth is that Trubisky has more talent around him on offense than Brady does. Swap them out for each other and Brady's numbers would dwarf Trubisky's.

The original poster here is the classic example of a homer with no appreciation for football or anything outside his team. I love the Saints and dislike the Pats. But I can very clearly see coach hoodie and Brady are the best coach/qb combo in the history of the NFL. I respect what they have done and wish Payton/Brees had done the same. To trash the coach when they have epic struggles on offense and he has still produced a 10-2 team which is tied for best in the league is verging on ignorance, IMO.

I think it's all about Bellichick, not Brady. If Brady played for CHI or CLE, I think his career wouldn't have been stellar. Very good, very solid, but not insanely good like under Bellichick.

ETA, I think Trubisky will be a good QB some day, but probably not at CHI.

Again, you are making irrelevant arguments with the 17 seasons stuff. We are talking about THIS year, the present, the here and now, this exact moment in time and space. Not years ago. How many ways can I say that?
YOU’RE the one who started a thread entitled “To the Belichick is playing 4d chess crowd” with the “eloquent” argument “Maybe they just suck?” so it’s not irrelevant.

Among thinking adults, posing a Neanderthal premise and then trying to move the goalposts when your premise is smashed is not an indication of an eloquent defense.

They are a true dynasty with 6 super bowls. This year despite having a sputtering offense they have the same record as our team. I'd love it if our team "sucked" like them over the last 20 years.

I agree. I don’t know why it is necessary for so many of us to constantly say every team but the Saints sucks or is overrated and why Brees has to be declared by the media every week to be the greatest QB of all time or risk being called haters. None of that is necessary. On the other hand, the refs ARE no doubt out to get us.

I stopped hating the Patriots a few years ago, and that's never happened with another NFL team before. I want like hell to beat them, but now I just have to appreciate the astonishing body of work.

FWIW, there also seems to be a lot of mutual respect between the two franchises and their HCs, and we've worked out decent trades in the Belichick/Payton era. For instance they basically handed us Dave Thomas, and he was a huge key for us on the road to the Super Bowl. To me, that one always felt like a favor to us, honestly.

From the thread title to the graphic to the comment made by the OP, not sure what exactly is his point.

What I take from it is Belichick has probably done his best job coaching with the Patriots this year. You got an aging rapidly declining QB who can't put points on the scoreboard any longer and yet you're still managing to win ball games at a more than healthy clip.

Is this going to get it done in the playoffs? I don't think so. Unless they get the #1 seed, which at this point isn't looking likely.
This is sort of full circle to the start of the BeliBrady dynasty. As a young QB, New England relied on its defense, and on Brady not making stupid mistakes. And although I don't know Brady's INT numbers from his first 3 or 4 years off the top of my head, I don't think 6 picks through week 13 is AWFUL or a sign of stupid mistakes.

Last edited:
I stopped hating the Patriots a few years ago, and that's never happened with another NFL team before. I want like hell to beat them, but now I just have to appreciate the astonishing body of work.

FWIW, there also seems to be a lot of mutual respect between the two franchises and their HCs, and we've worked out decent trades in the Belichick/Payton era. For instance they basically handed us Dave Thomas, and he was a huge key for us on the road to the Super Bowl. To me, that one always felt like a favor to us, honestly.
Same here. For me it happened after watching BB's football life and hearing him talk about his time in Cleveland. Guy truly felt sorry for the fans. Told me he's probably a pretty good dude I get tired of seeing the pats in the Superbowl every year just like the next person but that's not his or Brady's fault. It's up to the other teams to figure out how to best them. What they've done together is incredible and early on CSP said he wanted to model our team after theirs so that tells you alot. The other huge thing for me was when we went up there after CSP was suspended and how they treated our team. I think some forget that.

Let’s revisit this thread after the AFC championship game. I’m pretty confident one of them will be the Pats and they will find a way to stop the other QB and make the trip to Miami. BB doesn’t get beat often twice in the same year by the same team. He may be the best ever and making adjustments and making you look silly the next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom