To those still crying about a lack of a pass rush... (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints organization has some pretty smart people working for them. They did a few things this offseason to address our defense, and I truly don't think they will ever do enough to keep some of you from ******** and moaning.

Let's take a look at a few things the staff has done to address our issue with the lack of a pass rush:

1... They've FINALLY decided to change schemes and move to the 3-4.

We have had "big" defensive ends for a while now when you go back to the days of Charles Grant, and its been a while since we have seen a pass rush from our front 4. IMO... we have had 3-4 personnel for a while we just needed to add a few pieces and make the scheme change.

2... They brought in Rob Ryan to scheme it.

This guy is a genius at scheming defenses to get after the QB. He may not coach top 5 defenses but he's gonna stop the run and get after the QB.

3... The 3rd and most important thing they could have done... is GET THEIR PASS RUSHERS ON THE FIELD!

We have known for a while that Juneya belongs on the field... he hasn't gotten the opportunity. We also know that Tez has the potential to be a beast coming off the edge... he just hasn't gotten the opportunity. Victor Butler was a SOLID pass rusher in Dallas when given the opportunity... but playing behind Spencer and Ware will limit your snaps. Now our pas rushers will STAY on the field.

Every pick we have made has been excellent picks at need positions. YES we needed a safety (Hell yes actually). YES we needed an OT. YES we needed a DT to spell Bunkley. And YES we needed a WR.

I friggin LOVE our picks, and we have one more including undrafted free agency. We have addressed our pass rush by giving our pass rushers ample opportunity to rush the passer.

Embrace the new Saints... they're gonna be a part of a dynasty!

It doesn't matter what you say to these "we needa pass rusher folks". They just don't get it. You're wasting your time. But good post!

For the record, no one is crying about it. Geez!!

It was our BIGGEST NEED going into the draft and now since we didn't address it we are supposed to forget about it. Both Mickey and Payton said they would like to address it in the draft. If they shared your opinion they may not have felt that way. Just saying.

But why don't we all follow your advice and not say anything about anything. {mod edit - please seek a higher level of discourse - kd} Let's never again share our opinion and frustration in a public forum.

{mod edit} Lets all fall in line!!

Yea you right! I'm excited to see our undrafted free agents

Braylon Broughton was UDFA and PS last year. He has potential to back up the starters. And if Will Smith is OLB this year, then there really isn't much room for another pass rusher. And at this point in the draft a 6th round developmental player will probably go to our PS anyway.

It was our BIGGEST NEED going into the draft and now since we didn't address it we are supposed to forget about it. Both Mickey and Payton said they would like to address it in the draft. If they shared your opinion they may not have felt that way. Just saying.

But why don't we all follow your advice and not say anything about anything. {mod edit - please seek a higher level of discourse - kd} Let's never again share our opinion and frustration in a public forum.

{mod edit}! Lets all fall in line!!

They didn't say the need was a pass rusher. They spoke of the lack of a pass rush. It has in fact been addressed. Not to mention we drafted a space eating NT. That in itself will generate a pass rush. We signed a safety that can finally line up with TE's and handle his business. Now the QB can't just toss the ball in the air to a wide open TE. He has to check down giving our pass rushers additional time to get to the QB. So yeah it was was in fact addressed.....

Braylon Broughton was UDFA and PS last year. He has potential to back up the starters. And if Will Smith is OLB this year, then there really isn't much room for another pass rusher. And at this point in the draft a 6th round developmental player will probably go to our PS anyway.

And there's also Greg Romeus.

cornnelius washington or Okoye would be nice to add to the Defense anyway

It's hard to address every single need. Pass rush was a big need, but we also needed an upgrade at SS badly, a speed WR and, more than anything IMO, a tackle because before the draft we were Strief and ????.

We could still use a vet to stabilize both OT and OLB.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but, we haven't had a pass rush for 4 years. We've had to scheme and gimmic to get any kind of pass rush, so as for our D-Line generating a pass rush, I wouldn't get all giddy about that just yet. I'm very disappointed we got rid of Ivory and kept Ingram. He will continue to disappoint just watch. If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat my Crow, but till then....

As for our draft, I was hoping to see the saints trade down and get more picks and so was a little disappointed and I would have preferred Jarvis Jones, but am still happy with the best Safety in the draft cause Harper needs to go. As the draft went along I was much happier with the moves we made which means that we've quietly gone under the radar and had another solid draft. Kudos Saints!

While I'm hopeful the trio of Galette, Wilson, and Butler can bring much needed pressure our defense has been lacking, none of the three have experience as an every down player and 2 of them are changing positions from last year. Additionally, we have no proven depth after those 3. There's no harm in adding an additional body to improve what has been our biggest weakness in the Payton era, especially in the 6th round.

ETA: I love our draft so far, BTW. I wasn't thrilled with Vaccaro at first because I would have preferred a front 7 pick; however, the Jenkins pick makes up for it.

Just because YOU think something is "our BIGGEST NEED", doesn't mean the front office does...

Understand something here people in a 3-4 scheme the rush comes from you LB's were as in a 4-3 the rush comes from the DE's. Our Ends were not fast enough to rush the passer and Galette eas too small as a DE but is a good size for and OLB in a 3-4 alignment. So, I think we will have a better rush because of the scheme change. IMO we are better suited to a 3-4 than a 4-3.

And there's also Greg Romeus.

Kinda sorta but not really. He's yet to play an NFL snap, and I think he's already been through two knee injuries & rehabilitations since we drafted him.

I'm rooting hard for him, but since he's still for all practical purposes a rookie, even if he remains healthy through training camp and preseason this year, they may pull the redshirt IR trigger on him anyway. Guess it will just depend on how confident they feel in his health when it gets down to those tough final decisions.

At this point though I just want to see him in a game.

Clearly the saints realize that the passrush doesn't need to be upgraded....we need to provide more chances for our passrushers to get on the field.

Get bigger up front and stop the run on early downs. Roofus Johnson is a sleeper..even listed him in one of the threads. Very violent hands..but he needs to be coached up. Not the agile type of guy whos going to make a bunch of plays in space...but he can DEFINITELY rush the passser.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom