To Tip or not to tip (1 Viewer)

LSSpam..sure,you would think it would be that way..but we don't live in a world full of perfection. i'm not perfect and you are not perfect..just stating facts about my experiences as a customer. we dine about twice a month..some fine dining down to a corner gin mill atmosphere. let me tell you..i have had some of the best service at a corner gin mill..just because a chap has on a bow tie around his neck meshed in with a white shirt and black dress slacks doesnt make him have a better memory..anymore than a 60 yr old part owner of Bob And Jo Anns Place does.

Fact is..servers screw up orders when they do not write everything down..and this has happened to us with just me and my bride going out to eat.. a place called Salvatore's Italian Gardens.

Salvatore's | Restaurant | Buffalo Italian Restaurant | Best Restaurants in Buffalo

I'm stating facts from spending years as a server myself while in college. It's not that hard. Sorry your waiters sucked, many dont.

What about tipping the takeout lady at restaurants like zea and such? I'm a cheap ******* too that shouldn't be eating out since I hate tipping. 10% to 15% I tip takeout ppl a $1 or 2

I'm stating facts from spending years as a server myself while in college. It's not that hard. Sorry your waiters sucked, many dont.

easy..easy. slow down a bit. if you read my first post tonight on this thread..we had a great experience this evening. it's hit or miss brother. no need to get all hyped up.

cool the engine

What about tipping the takeout lady at restaurants like zea and such? I'm a cheap ******* too that shouldn't be eating out since I hate tipping. 10% to 15% I tip takeout ppl a $1 or 2

why do you make money if you don't want to spend it? life is too damn short to nickle and dime..

I could go on and on complaining about personal things but 3 kids and a lack of perceived disposable income, and Catholic schools the wife insists on. These things have hardened me into a poor tipper. I tip the haircut ters $2. That's enough right?

I do feel bad about the $1 tip to takeout hostesses but it's better than 0. The most I'd tip a bartender is $1 every few rounds but I drink at a bar 3 times a year maybe. Kids are life lol

why do you make money if you don't want to spend it? life is too damn short to nickle and dime..

To spend it where YOU choose to spend it. He might enjoy splurging on a nice fat blunt twice a day at the expense of the take out lady's tip.

Anyway, my point in these tipping threads has always been instead of telling bad tippers to stay home, the tip earner should have thicker skin. Low tips and no tips aren't going away. No amount of exceptional service will change that.

so---the bill arrives after a decent meal at carraba's with instructions that a recommended 18% tip would be $12. the other couples paid with a credit card and the waiter automatically added the recommended gratuity to their bills. i paid cash , included 15% and told her to keep the change.

two minutes later the waiter announces loudly to me that i only gave her an amount less than recommended. i agreed with her and said i gave 15% , not what was recommended.

the look i got in return was enough for me to never return.

Funny thing is, it really is a US custom.

Here in Sweden people seldom tip, and if they do it's almost never more than a few percent. Tips are never EVER written on the receipt. As a rule of thumb, if you pay with bills, you leave the change. When you do tip, it's to waiters mostly and occasionally taxi drivers.

The wages are higher for that type of work though than they are in the US. The minimum wage here applies to all types of work, so even waiters have at least a decent wage without tips. In more seedy places, people have started bringing in illegal immigrants and basically paying them nothing more than tips. These are the places where you really need to tip here, but those places usually also have very low prices overall, so you can afford to tip there.

two minutes later the waiter announces loudly to me that i only gave her an amount less than recommended. i agreed with her and said i gave 15% , not what was recommended.

"Oh...I'm sorry...there must have been some mistake. Give me that back, let me see what I gave you?"

:: pockets the money and walks out ::

so---the bill arrives after a decent meal at carraba's with instructions that a recommended 18% tip would be $12. the other couples paid with a credit card and the waiter automatically added the recommended gratuity to their bills. i paid cash , included 15% and told her to keep the change.

the look i got in return was enough for me to never return.

Yeah, I wouldn't go back there. I might boycott them for you! :)

The so-called recommended tip that restaurants are now putting on the bill is annoying. Unless there is an extenuating circumstance, I usually tip 20%. I believe that some restaurants are using deceptive practices depending how they list the 18%.

BTW, what happened to the standard 15% tip? When, and who, decided that it should go up to 18 or even 20?

two minutes later the waiter announces loudly to me that i only gave her an amount less than recommended.

In the restaurant I work in many years ago, that comment would have got her fired immediately. No argument, no discussion, you fired.

The wait staff were not allowed to discuss the tips with the customers at all in any way. If a question was asked by the customer, the manager had to be called and handled it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom