Today's Saints= 70's Steelers (1 Viewer)

That is exactly what I was going to say. WE are the true black and gold. Get this new gold BS outta here!
Isn't LSU purple and gold?

hatch_andrew_purple.jpg

Kudos, MBS, although you did forget to mention the future HOF QB part of the equation. :)

If we were the 70s Steelers wouldn't that limit us to 4 Super Bowls in the decade though :hihi:

Under Chuck Noll, the Steelers won the opening game of the 1969 season vs. Detroit. The team then lost 16 straight regular season games before beating Buffalo in Week 4 of the 1970 season. The team then began a steady climb (5-9, 1970); (6-8, 1971); and (11-3, 1972).

The Steelers prior to Chuck Noll were a joke ... yes, even worse than the Saints. In 1968, 2 of the Saints 4 wins came against Pittsburgh. The hiring of Chuck Noll turned the Steelers around. Only 4 or 5 players that were there in 1969 were still on the team when they started winning in 1972.

The hiring of Sean Payton did the same for the Saints. Payton had more immediate success in 2006, then 2 disappointing seasons, then the Super Bowl championship. I think it's unrealistic w/free agency to think you'll see dynasties like the Packers in the 1960's, Steelers in the 1970's, and 49'ers of the 1980's. There's too much parity in the league.

Saints should have very good teams as long as Payton, Brees, and Williams are here. 3 more Super Bowl championships? Well, anything's possible, but I doubt it. Dynasties in the NFL are a thing of the past.

Pittsburgh had a great defense back then. They had a great front four, great lb's and the secondary was strong. The thing was they beat the other team up and they enjoyed doing it. Don't know how many HOF players were on that defense but it was several. They were just so physical.

If the present day Saints can keep making strides in the defense, the Saints have a chance to win more Lombardis. Saints are not all that far away with players like Vilma, Greer, and Will Smith already here. Need to keep adding good players though.

I think the Saints could win more Super Bowls in the Payton/Brees era. The offense shouldn't be a question mark--it's been prolific the last four seasons. No reason it should change.

Of course, the team needs good fortune in staying relatively healthy and special teams have to remain solid. Should the Saints become the 70's Steelers, I will die a happy man.

That's long before my time, and I've never followed any other team but our Saints, so I don't know about the others too much, but I know that when we draft defense and keep Darren Sharper and if everyone stays healthy we are going to win the Super Bowl again. Some posted in anther thread, that they don't know if they'll ever feel this way again, but we will maybe it will be different but not less awesome, because we're going to shock the world when we win another Super Bowl the following year, and I'm already looking forward to the next Super Bowl, and I used to be "prepared for the worst and hoping for the best" kind of fan. Last offseason though I felt that this year would be special and I have the same feeling again this offseason. We are just now building a dynasty, it's just that the other teams in the NFL don't know it yet.

So three dots is the magic chant to raise a thread from the dead.

So does this mean.....

Jonathan Goddwin.....Hall of Fame
Jonathan Vilma......Hall of Fame
Tracy Porter.....Hall of Fame
Sedrick Ellis......Hall of Fame
The Shanle.....Hall of Fame
Colston.....Hall of Fame
Meech.....Hall of Fame

Sharper....should be HoF but never gets in

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom