Todd Davis (1 Viewer)

A good position coach teaches sound technique, recognizes talent, develops them and gets the most out of their players. During Vitt's 10 yrs, we've only had 1(maybe 2) stand out players. The rest of the LB play has been average to below average.

To Vitt's defense, we don't know what goes on behind the scene or anything. On the outside looking in, Vitt is judged by the players that are constantly shuffled at that position, that a long with missed tackles, angles, etc.

If I had to assemble a staff, i'd probably bring Joe Vitt along too. He's passionate, very energetic and has experience that is extremely valuable. Any time someone has been in the business for 30 years, they've seen it all.
I'd have him on the staff, just not as an LB coach. If I had to pick an LB coach, i'd pick a former player. Someone who's had success and who's good at reaching/connecting with players.

Payton's first hire was Joe Vitt and that was as an assistant head coach role. I guess at some point we he moved to coach the LBs as well. Vitt serves the assistant head coach perfectly. In fact he filled in nicely while Payton was away.
I had a quick study on that once. I'm on my phone, or else I'd look for it. Vitt has almost never had high pedigree players under his tutelage, and yet he has coached some very solid players over his career.

Scott Fujita was originally drafted by the Chiefs, and Vitt was his position coach during his early developmental years. So he would be an example off the top of my head as one who directly benefitted from Vitt's coaching.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom