Todd Grantham joins Saints staff (1 Viewer)

Grantham runs a 3-4. Woods runs a 3-4. I don't think this is a coincidence. DA is planning to switch to a 3-4.
There's a 0.0000001% chance we switch to 3-4. We spent years chasing DT sized DEs. We would have no one to play OLB in a 3-4.

Grantham was a garbage DC, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at DL coach. This isn't a move that inspires confidence IMO.

Why now? I don't get it. Hasn't he been running his own defense this whole time?

Not sure and I don't even know that's what he wants to do. I just noticed that both Woods and Grantham run a 3-4, but they also specialize in the position groups that we just lost so it might not have anything to do with the defense they run.

Grantham runs a 3-4. Woods runs a 3-4. I don't think this is a coincidence. DA is planning to switch to a 3-4.
Why? There was nothing rung with the defense except a need to to be stronger against the run up the middle. This just keeps getting more and more crazy.

I do remember DA saying some years ago when he became the DC, he wanted to be able to run multiple fronts. Maybe with Grantham and if they would hire Joe Woods they could install certain variations of the 3-4 defense. We just don't have all the right players to run a complete 3-4 defense. I'm just thinking out loud, trying to figure out what's going on with the defense, trying to get a sense of what DA wants to do, but it's just as blurry as ever. I don't think we'll know until after all the coaching hires are done before we actually know.

I do remember DA saying some years ago when he became the DC, he wanted to be able to run multiple fronts. Maybe with Grantham and if they would hire Joe Woods they could install certain variations of the 3-4 defense. We just don't have all the right players to run a complete 3-4 defense. I'm just thinking out loud, trying to figure out what's going on with the defense, trying to get a sense of what DA wants to do, but it's just as blurry as ever. I don't think we'll know until after all the coaching hires are done before we actually know.
Running a Tite front against spread formations, as an example, is different than converting to a 3-4, I would have no argument against that as a situational weapon. Need a big body 1-tech that can move over and play head up with the center.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom