N/S Todd Haley hired as offensive coordinator at a Sarasota high school (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

Todd Haley’s been out of the NFL since being fired as the Browns offensive coordinator in 2018, but he has landed another coaching job for the 2020 season.

Haley has agreed to become the offensive coordinator at Riverview High School in Sarasota, Florida. Haley has a home in the area and watched film with the school’s head coach Josh Smithers after being introduced by a mutual friend. That led to Smithers reaching out to Haley when the school’s previous offensive coordinator left for another job.

At first I laughed and found this to be pretty sad for him as a coach. Then, after reading the article, I started to think that this is actually pretty cool of him. Now it just popped into my head that Payton coached his kid's pee wee team when he was on his mandatory hiatus in 2012, but we all know that is different than this.

What do y'all think? Is this an embarrassing fall from grace or is it something he should be proud of since he's teaching the game to high school kids with his NFL experience?

Hard to say. I guess it boils down to where you want to be. If you're older or officially retired its cool but if you were fired it feels a little different.

Oh no. This is not even close to be an embarrassing fall. In fact taking a job as a high school coach is an admiral thing to do. The pay will not be anywhere near what he was used to. But he took a job and opportunity to develop young minds and lead them into a positive direction in life. With his resume, he could of taken a job in college if he wants to. Or he could of waited for an opportunity again in the NFL. Sometime a person have to take a break from it all and go back where they came from.

giphy.gif

At first I laughed and found this to be pretty sad for him as a coach. Then, after reading the article, I started to think that this is actually pretty cool of him. Now it just popped into my head that Payton coached his kid's pee wee team when he was on his mandatory hiatus in 2012, but we all know that is different than this.

What do y'all think? Is this an embarrassing fall from grace or is it something he should be proud of since he's teaching the game to high school kids with his NFL experience?

if you just really love to coach there is probably more satisfaction from it. Less money obviously but hopefully the egos are still small at that level and guys willing to be a sponge. It’s gotta feel good to see the light come on for a kid.

I think it’s pretty cool of him. He’s been on the Sirius XM NFL channel for a while now. I liked listening to him. I’m sure he’s taking a significant hit in the pocket from just his radio job, much less what he was making as a coordinator. (Assuming he’s not doing radio anymore)

On a side note, Charlie Weis is also on the NFL channel, and while he is very knowledgeable and has some interesting stories to tell, I have a very hard time listening to him talk. I just had to get that off my chest.

It’s never a fall from grace to help young men okay the game we love
That's how I ended up feeling about it. Especially when you consider the millions of dollars he's made already. Giving something back to high school kids in the town where he lives is pretty cool. I always thought he came off as a jerk when coaching in the NFL but not anymore.

Hard to say. I guess it boils down to where you want to be. If you're older or officially retired its cool but if you were fired it feels a little different.
That was why at first I considered it to be embarrassing for him. He was fired and no one picked him up last season. But when it comes down to it, he's teaching the game he knows a lot about to high school kids where he lives and is already richer than most people so good for him.

It will only be embarrassing if his team ends up sucking, which I doubt will happen.

It will only be embarrassing if his team ends up sucking, which I doubt will happen.
Lord, I didn't even consider that. Can you imagine the pressure he must actually be feeling to have the best offense in the state? If the team loses because of the defense like our 7-9 Saints, he'll be alright as long as his offense is really good. They didn't mention if the school he's coaching at is a football powerhouse in their area, so he might be stuck with some mediocre athletes that can't execute his (or any) offense, in which case he'd be alright then too.

Imagine laughing at someone for being a regular person with a regular job exactly like you, except with millions in the bank and a lifetime of great stories from the NFL, but with years of life ahead of you to go back to the League if they wanted

Imagine laughing at someone for being a regular person with a regular job exactly like you, except with millions in the bank and a lifetime of great stories from the NFL, but with years of life ahead of you to go back to the League if they wanted
I only initially laughed because I always got a vibe from him that he was a jerk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom