Mock Draft Todd McShay Mock 2.0 - Saints draft Tee Higgins at 24 (1 Viewer)

This draft seems stacked this yr. it’s a shame we don’t have a second. Then again maybe it’s just wr stacked. I don’t know much about the entire class

I really have my doubts we will draft a receiver in the first round. Looking at what Thomas did as a second rounder, the coach probably thinks he can get better value in later rounds than going for it in the first. The past few years, there have been plenty of receivers taken in the first round and very few had lived up to expectations. So unless a receivers meets all criteria that the coach wants, I really doubt a receiver will taken in the first round.

There are more first round graded receivers this year than I can remember in recent years. Really sucks we don't have a second because some of them are going to slide. As long as the guy we pick at 24 is BPA, I really don't care who it is.

I could see Payton picking up a vet in FA and drafting one in the mid rounds as a possibility too. That's been their MO. Fill holes in FA and draft BPA.

There are more first round graded receivers this year than I can remember in recent years. Really sucks we don't have a second because some of them are going to slide. As long as the guy we pick at 24 is BPA, I really don't care who it is.

I could see Payton picking up a vet in FA and drafting one in the mid rounds as a possibility too. That's been their MO. Fill holes in FA and draft BPA.
There is a chance Payton might make a trade to get into the second round if he really wants a player.

I really have my doubts we will draft a receiver in the first round.

Right now the team is figuring out which players are a MUST to re-sign, which players will be lost during the off-season, and of those ones, if we already have a replacement on-hand.

Even if right now receiver seems to be the most logical need, I would not be surprised if we take a guard, a defensive tackle, a safety or a linebacker.

And based on the depth at the receiver position, even when it's not common practice, I would not be surprised if we trade down to get an extra pick.

There is a chance Payton might make a trade to get into the second round if he really wants a player.
Yeah, I could definitely see that happening. He's never been shy about trading up to get a player he's in love with.

The last I remember is Usama Young. It seems it was with Detroit in 2007. I would be in favor of trading 24 for 2 seconds.

Serious question: Has Payton ever traded down in a draft?

yes, but not since the beginning

Trade Downs
2006 Round 2: traded 34th overall for 43rd overall pick (Roman Harper) and Jeff Faine.

2006 Round 4: traded 99th overall pick for 108th overall pick (Jahri Evans) and Hollis Thomas

2007: Round 2: traded 58th overall pick for 66th overall pick (Usama Young) and 145th overall pick (David Jones)

and with that WR depth in this draft and the quality of our scouting department of late, this might be a good year to do it.

my prediction is that we start camp with three new faces at WR that actually have a chance to make the team and 2 of them actually do. I think we may pick up some mid tier FA and still draft 2. If we traded back with that 1st pick we could still get good quality at wideout and pick up another pick for Oline or elsewhere.

But I am just like you, stick to the BPA philosophy every time all the time.

Last edited:
I could see WR, but not Higgins. Matt Miller likes to ask scouts to name some guys who media are higher on than scouts are:

I could see us going with Jefferson, Shenault or Ruggs. But not Higgins.

I really believe that we will be drafting OL in the first round. Either by trading up or down getting our guy around the number that’s he’s the BPA.

yes, but not since the beginning

Trade Downs
2006 Round 2: traded 34th overall for 43rd overall pick (Roman Harper) and Jeff Faine.

2006 Round 4: traded 99th overall pick for 108th overall pick (Jahri Evans) and Hollis Thomas

2007: Round 2: traded 58th overall pick for 66th overall pick (Usama Young) and 145th overall pick (David Jones)

and with that WR depth in this draft and the quality of our scouting department of late, this might be a good year to do it.

my prediction is that we start camp with three new faces at WR that actually have a chance to make the team and 2 of them actually do. I think we may pick up some mid tier FA and still draft 2. If we traded back with that 1st pick we could still get good quality at wideout and pick up another pick for Oline or elsewhere.

But I am just like you, stick to the BPA philosophy every time all the time.
It really is amazing that they haven't seen fit to trade down even once since 2007.

You're right, this would be a good year to trade back. I think it was Payton that said something along the lines of there being 15 guys who are typically first round graded picks and then there's the rest. So, sitting at 24, maybe trading back to the early 2nd and picking up another pick or player in the process could benefit us this year more than most. But if someone falls to 24 that Payton loves (like Michael Thomas ending up in the second round) Payton is going to jump on it. With how we've drafted lately, I'm finally not concerned about how we're going to do and that's a relief.

I could see WR, but not Higgins. Matt Miller likes to ask scouts to name some guys who media are higher on than scouts are:

I could see us going with Jefferson, Shenault or Ruggs. But not Higgins.

Jefferson is a play maker at any given time. He is impressed me. Kind of remind of having an Emmanual Sanders. Good complimentary piece to Michael Thomas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom