Todd McShay the most accurate mock drafter over the last 3 years (1 Viewer)

How do you know this?

I'm a football geek. I listen a crap load of podcasts, radio interviews, football books, etc from former or current NFL execs, coaches, insiders, scouts and so on.

Obviously its a little different team by team. But there usually is a board stacked together as early as before the regular season. I was listening to an interview with Les Snead, the Rams GM, and he was saying they are already working on the preliminary board for the 2014 NFL draft. Obviously those things change as more info comes in.

So, there is a board early on, but after the draft process plays out, it is finalize. Usually in stays mostly the same from say January - April, but there will be some changes. Say for example DJ Hayden. He probably wasnt even on a lot of boards after the terrible incident he had, although they probably had a grade on him from the scouting work during the season. Now that he is healthy and supposedly cleared, they can stack him according to his grade and other stuff while coaches go back and look at the tape.

That was my point.

No meant mcshay isn't a reporter or "inside" guy. He's the head of college scouting for Scouts Inc. so he doesn't "report" or "break" anything. Just an evaluator with an opinion like everyone else, except he has access to FAR more film and scout input than we do.

Looks like D.J. Fluker is now suddenly "rising up the boards."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Report from @<a href="https://twitter.com/tonypauline">tonypauline</a> indicates D.J. Fluker could go as early as No. 7 to <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Cardinals">#Cardinals</a>: <a href="http://t.co/1EaEDg3RJo" title="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8332/dj-fluker">rotoworld.com/player/nfl/833&#8230;</a></p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/325347613325008896">April 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A bunch of hacks.

I hear there is a dart board and a blindfold involved in the decision making process.

You get three monkeys to throw darts at a dart board. One of them might win.

I despise Mayock. I read his writings and listen to him speak and am often baffled by his analysis. Hayden as the #1 CB in the draft. I like his film - he's a very solid player, but #1??? That's just one example.

Let me know when you get your gig on a big network.

Hayden as the #1 CB in the draft. I like his film - he's a very solid player, but #1??? That's just one example.

I can't be ok with Hayden as the best CB. Period. Idc what ANYONE says, when you play SEC, it's a cut above. And milliner continued to improve against high level competition.

Greg Cosell & Doug Farrar are both driving the Hayden bandwagon. Mayock's not the only Hayden supporter.

Sure, but I think the overall point is that being good at guessing who teams pick is not the same thing as being good at analyzing players, figuring out who will actually be good and how they will fit with certain teams.

FWIW, I think Kiper gets far too much crap. First, the guy practically invented the draftnick profession and is a big reason why the NFL Draft is so popular today. Second, Kiper for years was a guy who just told you how he rated players in terms of who were the best players available that year and when each team drafted. He had a big board of the top 20, but it was never intended as a "mock draft" saying where players would go. Teams pick for need at times so they may not be picking the BPA. But, people criticized Kiper because his board did not match the draft order.

At any rate, I'd rather listen to a guy that evaluates players properly than a guy who just happens to be good at guessing where a guy will be drafted. And, different guys are good at different things. For instance, I think that Mike Detillier is very good at analyzing college talent, but I don't think he is as good at figuring out how they will play for or fit with specific teams. Where as there are guys that are very good at knowing what fits a team's scheme but not so well versed on college players.

And, in the end, it's all entertainment and it's not a science. Guys who get paid to analyze players for NFL teams miss all the time.

Re-read my last sentence. I agree with you. Nailing a mock and being a good analyst aren't the same thing.

I think mcshay knows what he's doing. You don't become the director of college scouting, at his age, by just being a talking head.

After all the "banging the table" mayock did over Hayden, he has milliner as the first CB off the board...

true story: in 2006 i won a mock draft contest on some site and won a free authentic jersey of my choice. i got like 13 picks right. it was pure luck. one surprise pick throws off the entire board. mock draft accuracy doesn't mean much. mayock, kiper, mcshay, these guys know their stuff.

After all the "banging the table" mayock did over Hayden, he has milliner as the first CB off the board...

A part of doing a mock is projecting what a team thinks. Just because he has Hayden #1 doesn't mean he thinks he is everyone's #1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom