Todd McShay the most accurate mock drafter over the last 3 years (1 Viewer)

cajungiant40

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I despise Mayock. I read his writings and listen to him speak and am often baffled by his analysis. Hayden as the #1 CB in the draft. I like his film - he's a very solid player, but #1??? That's just one example.

I despise Mayock. I read his writings and listen to him speak and am often baffled by his analysis. Hayden as the #1 CB in the draft. I like his film - he's a very solid player, but #1??? That's just one example.

I can't be ok with Hayden as the best CB. Period. Idc what ANYONE says, when you play SEC, it's a cut above. And milliner continued to improve against high level competition.

Pretty much shows they are all about the same. I think medians would tell the story better. Averages are too heavily weighted towards the bad misses. Like no one thought Tyson Alualu was going #10.

Which mock draft are they basing this on? January, February, March or April draft mocks?

Isn't McShay notorious for breaking news that already broke?

The myth of players "rising and falling" in the final days as the draft nears is just that, a myth. The truth is, all that's happening is that analysts' reports and rankings are becoming more and more accurate based on what's being revealed to them by scouts and team sources.

You better believe Mayock isn't just suddenly putting Hayden as his #1 CB because of something he all of a sudden saw on film. No, he's suddenly risen that high because the information he has in his ear from scouts and his team sources is becoming a more and more clear picture and teams' final findings are being revealed to him; the once blurry polaroid negative has finally transformed into a fully developed photograph, and now it's being shared with us.

I can't be ok with Hayden as the best CB. Period. Idc what ANYONE says, when you play SEC, it's a cut above. And milliner continued to improve against high level competition.

In theory, yes. But another factor you have to look at is that Dee Millner's surrounding cast was a cut above as well.

The same principle applies to Alabama RBs. Those guys got the opportunity to play behind what was basically an NFL O-Line, and had holes much bigger to run through than virtually any other college running back.

The evaluation process isn't so black and white.

I've read numerous posts bashing mcshay and kiper as "idiots" and having "no clue" what they're talking about and that mayock was the best. Here's study proving who's been the most accurate over the last 3 years. Ill post both the study and major hits and misses for all 3 guys.
NFL Mock Drafts: ESPN

http://blog.pundittracker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Mock-Drafts.htm

Mayock is the best talent evaluator in the analysis business today, IMO. I could give a rats behind if he's not as good at guessing what teams are going to pick which player.

Being the best "mock" drafter doesn't imply you are the best player evaluator, it just means your good at guessing what teams are going to do. Their are several teams (the Raiders did it almost every year) that pick players that have no business being drafted where they are or even being drafted at all. Look at all the undrafted players that come in and make an impact on the NFL.

I like Mayock. Is he always right? Of course not. I typically trust his analysis on DB's though. He is usually spot on there. And Im not as high on Dee Milliner as most. His DL analysis can be off at times.

The myth of players "rising and falling" in the final days as the draft nears is just that, a myth. The truth is, all that's happening is that analysts' reports and rankings are becoming more and more accurate based on what's being revealed to them by scouts and team sources.

You better believe Mayock isn't just suddenly putting Hayden as his #1 CB because of something he all of a sudden saw on film. No, he's suddenly risen that high because the information he has in his ear from scouts and his team sources is becoming a more and more clear picture and teams' final findings are being revealed to him; the once blurry polaroid negative has finally transformed into a fully developed photograph, and now it's being shared with us.

Im no draft expert, but this explanation for late "rising and falling" intuitively seems to make a lot of sense. Other factors may be at work but my guess is that this is the main one.

By the way, I loved the slowly developing Polaroid print metaphor, but can't help but wonder whether it was lost on 95% of those here under 50.

There was an article from an ex-agent who said that he purposely sucked up to Kiper or would almost bribe him to talk up his clients.

Which mock draft are they basing this on? January, February, March or April draft mocks?

Isn't McShay notorious for breaking news that already broke?

Mcshay doesn't break news. You may be thinking of Adam Schefter

Also keep in mind, every "scout" or "analyst" sees things a bit differently. They are all using what they hear from others to shape their opinion, but I honestly believe Kiper and Mayock look at film themselves and see what they do and don't like. I know I've heard Mayock mention certain key measurables (like hands on a QB) that help him frame his opinion.

I've always found McShay to just be a guy who's a good synthesizer of information. It's like he's like a lot of us on here. Just smart enough on football, but really good and taking what others say, break it down, and organize it. Maybe he just comes off a certain way, but I've never been a huge fan. For whatever reason the online draftnik community does not care for McShay.

And again, averages are a horrible way to look at this data (it was done a year ago, btw, doesn't include the 2012 draft)

EDIT: Derp... gotta read the second link.. haha. that one has 2012 in it.

Since when did a mock draft become the tangible result of how good of a draft analyst someone is? So misleading...

Since when did a mock draft become the tangible result of how good of a draft analyst someone is? So misleading...

Well, I think the point of that website is to call out pundits who predict stuff and see how well they actually do. i.e. who's full of it and who's not.

The OP is just making the point that maybe McShay gets too much hate, since he's just as good or better at the others at coming up with a Mock Draft. However, it still isn't a measure of his actual analysis and ability to speak to the general audience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom