Tom benson (2 Viewers)

I don't know about firing someone, but he definitely needs to "make his presence known", so to speak. I'm talking about sentences that end with "or else".

Make his presence known? I'm not sure if it's clear to people who haven't dealt with end of life transitions but what Mr. Benson needs is support from his family and a lot of care and attention.

And that's why this organisation is in turmoil. Nobody will fire each other, they will always settle for last place.

Tom Benson took over the team in 1985 he hired Jim Mora

Until 1996 Jim Mora had no less then 7 wins every season...he missed once and got replaced

Ditka had 6 wins, 6 wins, and 3 wins, and got replaced

Haslett had no less then 7 wins until 2005 and he got replaced

SP has had no less then 7 wins in any season yet.

I dont think Bensons desire to win is something I need to worry about.

Make his presence known? I'm not sure if it's clear to people who haven't dealt with end of life transitions but what Mr. Benson needs is support from his family and a lot of care and attention.

For all intents and purposes ... are you saying Tom Benson is essentially in hospice care?

Most Saints fans are aware, I think, that Benson does not have day-to-day control over the team anymore due to age and health concerns. But people are being coy in this thread, and I am not exactly sure what they're being coy about.

Oh please. He was at the game last night. He was shown standing for the anthem. He wasn't laying on his death bed.

Mr. Benson was struggling to find the words to the National Anthem last night when shown on TV.

imvho - I don't think Tom cares about money anymore. he cares about the Saints, Pels and his race horses.

However, it's likely Tom has a huge ego. We have been marginally bad over the last 2 years. We are now 0-3 and I'm sure Tom doesn't like that. But what I suspect Tom hates is embarrassment on national TV, MNF. And he had to feel totally embarrassed after that debacle on MNF.

If you noticed Tom's style over the years, he does everything football operations related behind the scenes. He never shows emotion to the public. He keeps his external demeanor very cool. He never calls out coaches or FO personnel. But he makes his moves as a professional business would do. .

If he experiences a few more massive embarrassments, especially in Prime Time, his ego and competitive nature with his peer owners will likely drive change. If that happens, I hope that does not include SP.

For all intents and purposes ... are you saying Tom Benson is essentially in hospice care?

Most Saints fans are aware, I think, that Benson does not have day-to-day control over the team anymore due to age and health concerns. But people are being coy in this thread, and I am not exactly sure what they're being coy about.

I think it's pretty clear that Mr. Benson is suffering from dementia or possibly stroke induced aphasia. I don't know the extent of his impairment and it's not for me to speculate, but he's having a difficult time putting words together and is getting confused in even the very short question and answer format that the communications department has setup. I've been around a lot of this kind of end of life behavior and this is very typical presentation.

I think he's getting good care but I don't think it is realistic to expect the kind of business acumen people are asking about.

He needs to pass control of the team off sooner rather than later.

It probably already has happened behind the scenes, but make it official. Give your team and fan base some reason to think things are stable.

He needs to pass control of the team off sooner rather than later.

It probably already has happened behind the scenes, but make it official. Give your team and fan base some reason to think things are stable.

Would we be any better under the three R's?

It probably already has happened behind the scenes ...

My understanding is that Dennis Lauscha is essentially Tom Benson's empowered proxy in the organization. In other words, for the Saints' rank-and-file, Dennis Lauscha saying something = Benson himself saying it.

Lauscha's name is rarely brought up on SaintsReport ... I sometimes think when someone bashes Loomis, they're really and unwittingly aiming at Lauscha.

Just as an aside: it's baffling that Ryan Benson apparently never took an interest in being associated with the Saints. This forum is full of people (especially young men) who'd give their eye teeth to be in line to inherit a pro sports franchise.

Then again, New Orleans is nothing to any of the Rensons ... so, meh.

Oh please. He was at the game last night. He was shown standing for the anthem. He wasn't laying on his death bed.

He was shown standing.

He's also 89 years old, is constantly being held by Gayle. He doesn't do any more interviews or public speaking appearances. The team has a very structured media format that doesn't allow him to speak more than a sentence or two at a time. You get things like last night where it looks like he knows he is supposed to be singing but not quite sure why during the national anthem. You get his entire family basically saying he has lost most function. He's removed himself from day to day operations of the teams.

So no, he wasn't laying on his death bed but there are plenty of reason to suspect that there are some serious health concerns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom