Tom Brady takes MUCH less to help out Patriots [guaranteed money nearly doubles] (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry, but you don't really know what you are talking about.

Brees base salary will be $19M in 2015 and $20M in 2016. Both years also carry $7.6M bonus prorations for total cap hits of $26.4M and $27.4M. The Saints can avoid the $19M and $20M base salaries by cutting him before the waiver period for that year, so they are not guaranteed.

You think Drew will allow the Saints to re-work his deal after the 2014 season to a $57m five year deal where he gets a fully guaranteed $30m bonus plus $1.5m salary in 2015 & 2016 (for $33m for the first two years), but with base salaries that are only guaranteed against injury of $7m in 2017, $8m in 2018 and $9m in 2019?

I do not think Drew would do that even though he would be greatly increasing his guaranteed money.

ok, so lets put it at $19M and $20M...these amounts are NOT garaunteed, team options, correct?? drew will make his $60M in the first 3yrs....

mickey: drew, we cannot absorb a $19M hit to the cap. so here's what we'll do: of the remaining $39M we will gaurantee and pay you $30M right now. we're gonna add 3yrs and $10M to the deal which brings it to 5yrs $49M. our cap hit reduces to $9M (avg) just like brady's does.

drew: ok, mickey sounds good. cut the check tomorrow i'll be here to sign.
(drew thinking to himself: i just made $60M the last 3yrs. now they're gonna cut me another $30M bonus, plus if i stay healthy i could make another $10-$12M in bases.)

that is how that convo would go.

again, who wouldnt do that???

ok, so lets put it at $19M and $20M...these amounts are NOT garaunteed, team options, correct?? drew will make his $60M in the first 3yrs....

mickey: drew, we cannot absorb a $19M hit to the cap. so here's what we'll do: of the remaining $39M we will gaurantee and pay you $30M right now. we're gonna add 3yrs and $10M to the deal which brings it to 5yrs $49M. our cap hit reduces to $9M (avg) just like brady's does.

drew: ok, mickey sounds good. cut the check tomorrow i'll be here to sign.
(drew thinking to himself: i just made $60M the last 3yrs. now they're gonna cut me another $30M bonus, plus if i stay healthy i could make another $10-$12M in bases.)

that is how that convo would go.

again, who wouldnt do that???

Now we are on the same page, but agree to disagree. I think Drew would not do that. I think Drew (or his agent) would want higher salaries and more guarantees on the back 3 years and probably more like $36-40M in the 'first' 2 years.

I give one thing to the pats, Brady and his agent. Whoever got it done. they got it done early and made sure this wasn't a distraction. That's why Brady and the pats are so consistent. They absolutely know how to avoid distractions close to the season. They don't sit around and say. " we'll get it done". They " get it done"!

The misinterpretation here is that Brady is somehow making less money with this contract. He's not. He signed an extension to his existing deal that will give him more guaranteed money, that's all.

The way people are going on about this, you'd think he had torn up his original contract and decided to work for free.

The misinterpretation here is that Brady is somehow making less money with this contract. He's not. He signed an extension to his existing deal that will give him more guaranteed money, that's all.

The way people are going on about this, you'd think he had torn up his original contract and decided to work for free.

He took less than market value on the extended years. The pats now have him locked up until 2017 on a 5 year $57M deal that guarantees $33m fully and $24m against injury with even cap hits of about $15m per year.

I would kill to have Brees under that contract. All of the people pretending like it is nothing just hate Brady. He negotiated a below market contract extension without a single peep in the media.

He took less than market value on the extended years. The pats now have him locked up until 2017 on a 5 year $57M deal that guarantees $33m fully and $24m against injury with even cap hits of about $15m per year.

I would kill to have Brees under that contract. All of the people pretending like it is nothing just hate Brady. He negotiated a below market contract extension without a single peep in the media.

ESPN and other media is reporting it's 57M guaranteed - the entire 57m. And how do you know what Brady's market value will be in the extended years - the years he'll be 37 to 40 years old?

a lot of people here have turned into "those guys".....you know the homers that find something wrong with everything another team does out of jealousy. We'll see down the road who has cap issues and who doesn't.

a lot of people here have turned into "those guys".....you know the homers that find something wrong with everything another team does out of jealousy. We'll see down the road who has cap issues and who doesn't.

When the Patriots have millions committed to a 41 year old, retired Tom Brady - which they're now guaranteed - on top of what they owe whoever their actual quarterback is at the time, yeah, you're right, we'll see who has the cap problems.

They're robbing Peter to pay Paul. New England is saving money over the next two years, as we wind down the Brady window, and pushing all of the cap hell into the post Brady (and probably Belichick) era. Everyone saying "they'll just renegotiate" is missing the point. They guaranteed Brady the money. They're gonna have a lot of dead money at the end of this deal, unless Brady is Superman and plays until he's 41.

This is basically both Brady and Belichick helping themselves out and letting the next regime take the hit.

You have yet to post any facts to disprove what I have said. Like someone of little intelligence you hurl insults and believe everyone agrees with you and if they don't something must be wrong with them. I am not sure what your reading comprehension level is or how long you followed the Saints before they started winning. I will repeat myself for you. I LOVE DREW ON THE FIELD. ITS OFF THE FIELD WHERE HE DOES NOT LIVE UP TO THE SAINTLY STATUS THAT HE TRIES TO PORTRAY. There are many examples of this. One example was during his contract negotiations. He just kept saying he wanted to be treated fairly. I am going from what was reported at the time. He offered the Saints a number on what he wanted to be paid and the Saints offered another number. During the whole process Drew Brees never came off his number. What did he do? He held out, now if your remember just a yr earlier he held "Camp Drew" during the lockout because it was so important to have an off-season with the team. One yr later when it was about Drew Brees the being together during the off season wasn't so important. ****FACT**** Drew Brees has held out every contract he has had in the NFL. He did not hold out in '06 because only two teams were looking at him and one of the teams didn't offer him starter money. He did not come to New Orleans because he felt like he could make a difference to the city. That is *******. He came to New Orleans because the Saints offered him the most money. I have no problem with that. I have a problem when he says he came to New Orleans because he and his wife talked about it and they could do some good here....******** He loves to say he is one of us but he lives in San Diego. Do I have a problem with where he lives NO. Just don't try and pretend you love the city so much that you have to live in SD. AGAIN NO PROBLEM ON WHERE HE COSES TO LIVE. Just don't try and act one way with your public face so people will support you sandwich shop but live another.
I will say it again for the slow people who can't take any criticism of Drew Brees. I DON'T CARE WHERE HE LIVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE "PUBLIC FACE" HE PUTS ON. DREW BREES GIVE THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN A SUPER BOWL. IMO that Sean Payton gives the Saints a better chance to win the SB then Drew Brees. I also think that the people who can not take any criticism of Drew Brees are those "fans" who started showing up after 2005. With success you will get bandwagon fans, good I like that. But for somebody like me who hasn't missed a game in the Super Dome since 1988, I am a New Orleans Saints fan, I am a New Orleans fan. So when one player hurts the team by being greedy with now regard to the salary cap, which is a way of life in the NFL, then I think that should be pointed out.

lol

As I write this post I'm listening to Andrew Brandt on Sirius about the Brady contract. In essence he says that Brady will get $3mills more for the next 2 years for doing nothing. But he doubts Brady will play for $7mills in 2015......the 3rd year of his new contract.

I think Brady will play 2 more years, and either reconstructures, retire.....just my hunch...

Why are we misrepresenting Brady's contract? To implicitly defend Drew's gigantic deal? Fact is, while Brady did take more than he would have if he had retired, he still took WAY less than he would have commanded on the open market.

:freak7:

ESPN and other media is reporting it's 57M guaranteed - the entire 57m. And how do you know what Brady's market value will be in the extended years - the years he'll be 37 to 40 years old?

"Brady's salaries for 2015, 2016 and 2017 are $7 million, $8 million and $9 million, respectively, and are fully guaranteed for injury only, which means that if Brady is released because of an injury, he will still be paid that money. In the unlikely event that he were released due to skill considerations, he would not be paid that money."

Tom Brady's guarantees nearly doubled in deal -- source - ESPN Boston

His salaries for 2015, 2016 and 2017 ($24m in total) are NOT guaranteed fully. That money is only guaranteed against injury.\

As far as what his values will be in the extended years, if he is playing then he would command more than $7-$9m. Alex Smith gets paid $8.5m, you seriously think if Brady is still able to play, he would not command more than Alex Smith on the open market?

When the Patriots have millions committed to a 41 year old, retired Tom Brady - which they're now guaranteed - on top of what they owe whoever their actual quarterback is at the time, yeah, you're right, we'll see who has the cap problems.

They're robbing Peter to pay Paul. New England is saving money over the next two years, as we wind down the Brady window, and pushing all of the cap hell into the post Brady (and probably Belichick) era. Everyone saying "they'll just renegotiate" is missing the point. They guaranteed Brady the money. They're gonna have a lot of dead money at the end of this deal, unless Brady is Superman and plays until he's 41.

This is basically both Brady and Belichick helping themselves out and letting the next regime take the hit.

The only millions they will owe to a 40 yr old Brady is the residual signing bonus proration still owed unless they cut him for injury. Pats converted his 2013 and 2014 salaries of $15m into a signing bonus. If they cut him before 2015, 2016 or 2017 or he retires, they do not have to pay his salaries, just take a cap hit for whatever is left from the $30m bonus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom