Tom Brady takes MUCH less to help out Patriots [guaranteed money nearly doubles] (1 Viewer)

Pai Mei

Very Banned
Reaction score
@MikeTriplett: RT @SI_PeterKing: Brady, in essence, has signed for three more seasons at less than half the going rate for star QBs--so the Patriots can spend on others.

Brady signed extension today to save Pats money. WOW.

It takes a lot, but that will get under Brees' skin. Even though he has less physical talent than other elite QBs, he prides himself in team leadership. Wow. That was ballzy of Brady

Yeah that sounds fantastic. Except that contract runs until he is 41.

It's possible he'll still be playing at 41 but he won't be worth $20 million a year anymore and, odds are, he won't be playing then.

This isn't a tremendous sacrifice on Brady's part, this is a cap move the Patriots will have to pay for eventually. But they are correctly estimating that they'll suck anyways the year Brady retires, so just pay all the bills then.

The Saints should do the same thing.

Thats pretty cool. The Patriots were looking at some ridiculous cap figure for Brady in the next 2 years, so this spreads it out until 2017 and gives him a huge chunk now.

I like how people like to paint this as some sort of generous move by Brady, but the guy is getting a boat load of guaranteed CASH MONEY in his hand.

But Brady made a lot more on his previous contract than Brees. No?

Yeah that sounds fantastic. Except that contract runs until he is 41.

It's possible he'll still be playing at 41 but he won't be worth $20 million a year anymore and, odds are, he won't be playing then.

This isn't a tremendous sacrifice on Brady's part, this is a cap move the Patriots will have to pay for eventually. But they are correctly estimating that they'll suck anyways the year Brady retires, so just pay all the bills then.

The Saints should do the same thing.

Yep, pretty much.

Also Brady has been making top dollar for years. Brees was making average starting QB money his entire career up until his contract last season.

I do feel the Saints should do the same thing. Not sure if we're allowed to restructure it this year or if it has to be next but, honestly, to hell with it. I'm ok being awful a year or two after Brees retires. I survived the Ditka years. Let's worry about the tab when they hit the lights at the end of the night.

How much will he get this year as opposed to what he was due to get?

Brady won more Superbowls too.

Brady just helped his team in a way Brees wouldn't.

You don't understand the topic you're posting about.

Brees would be fine "helping" his team in the exact same way if they so chose. This "help" not only costs Brady nothing, it makes him more money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom