Tom Brady vs Drew Brees - GOAT (1 Viewer)

You have to put Otto in the discussion. I still pick Brees with Otto followed by Brady right behind Drew. I have no contention with any of the 3 as long as they are all discussed.

• Otto played 10 season and played in 10 Title games winning 7 Titles (1 more than Brady)
  • Otto holds the career record for yds/attempt to this day (9.0 yds/att - Brees and Brady are 7.6 and 7.5 respectively)
  • Otto is 4th in career TD % with 6.6% (Brady 5.5%, Brees 5.3%)
Also bear in mind they only played 12 game seasons back then so there was less time to rack up huge stats. Furthermore, the talent pool was not spread over 32 teams but rather concentrated into 12 teams. For example, In 1950 the first game the Browns played was against the Eagles who finished 6-6 with 5 All-Decade players on the starting roster.

On the flip side
Arguably Otto had the better of the 3 coaches
Otto had the better of the 3 lines (2 HoFers - Gatski and Groza)
The better feature back of the 3
Likely the better WR pairing (Speedie and Lavelli)
And a few stellar defenders: Willis (All-Decade), Ford (HoF), and 2 season with a young Atkins

But I still think any discussion without including him is not actually a GOAT discussion but a GORM (Greatest of Recent Memory) discussion

This video sums it up. I love drew. I would let him baby sit my kids but He needs one more ring so he can be on mt Rushmore. Right now Brady Payton Montana are all in a league of their own with maybe elway holding the last spot. U have brees leading the pack that includes Rogers, favre, Warner and young. When brees gets the next one, he can bump elway off.

Brady being praised as the GOAT..

I argued for years brees was better. Up until last year I thought brees had a shot to almost be an equal with both of them being tie as the GOAT. But once again when we came up short, and they went on to their 3rd straight superbowl and won 2/3 of those.

Brady will go down as the GOAT while brees will have to take a back seat as much as I hate to admit it. Brees/saints winning the superbowl this year can not compete with all the super bowl wins and appearances Brady has done.

The only way it would happen is if the saints went on from this year, and the next 4, to win every superbowl until brees retires and this is coming from the biggest brees fan.

Yes. If you would put Brady on our team, and Brees on his, the Superbowl ring issue would be reversed. Brees would have 6, and Brady might not even have the 1 Brees has. IMHO.
I think we have some extreme bias going on here. Tom Brady absolutely would have won a Super Bowl for us with the 09 squad.

We don't have to put down greatness just to prop up our guy.

4. Finally the last piece. Drew is 1-0 in Superbowls. Brady is 6-2 in Superbowls. HOWEVER just imagine if the refs had made the right call last year and Brees goes on to face Brady. I firmly believe the Saints would've beaten the Patriots in the Superbowl. That would make Brees 2-0 in Superbowls (beating 2 of the greatest of all time..including the QB in discussion) and would've made Brady 5-3. Suddenly it becomes "Brady gets to the Superbowl a lot because of his division and the AFC...but he he barely winning over 50% of the Superbowls he plays in. It certainly makes things a little more interesting.

And, if Seattle and Atlanta hadn't "gifted" Brady those two, his record would have been 4-4. Both of those games should have been loses.

I'm the biggest Saints homer and love Drew and think he's the GOAT. That said, Brady has to be given consideration and I think his SBs, consistent winning seasons and he actually does have the numbers to support his claim. I think he's surpassed the Montanas and Marinos of the NFL and he, along with Brees are in a class of their own.

Brady's body of work and just the total package makes it hard to argue against. Can't stand him, but he's probably done enough to earn the GOAT label.
In an Era of QB statistical domination because of NFL rules, Brady is less than impressive on a game-by-game and per attempt basis. His numbers are greatly influenced by his longevity (again, thanks to current NFL rules) and the sheer number of games he's played. The number of games he's played is greatly influenced by his division which gives the Pats a near automatic playoff bid every year. Now you throw in the best NFL HC since Lombardi along with a defense with a cumulative resume of dominance.

This is the perfect recipe for turning a mediocre talent into a celebrated "All time" QB. All you need after that is a large media market to shove him down the throats of everyone else in the country.

Brady would be considered mediocre on a real team in a real division. 20 years ago, he would have been broken in half and retired early due to injuries that his feeble body is unable to take. I for one refuse to drink the Kool-aid.

They’re both great - one has more rings than the other.
There are a handful of guys that I’ve really enjoyed watching play the position: Brees, Brady, Manning, Favre, Rodgers, Marino, Montana, for example. All great QBs in their own right.
When it comes to rings - seriously, it’s a team sport. What’s a great QB with garbage receivers? What’s a great receiver without a guy that can get him the ball? Blocking? Special teams, etc. Everybody on that team gets a ring when they win the SB.

For me, it’s about who makes me want to rewind over and over again to see a play? Brees, Manning, and Brady are the first three that come to mind. The timing, the accuracy, and surgically dissecting a defense, especially Brees and Manning, are beautiful things to watch.

Brady is 6-3 in Superbowls. I don’t like playing the what-if game but he could very well be 5-4 or 4-5 seeing as the majority of the Pats SB wins have come down to last second field goals, interceptions, or miraculous catches (Edelman vs Falcons).

Of course, using the same argument, he could have 1, maybe 2 more if the ball bounces the other way in the losses to the Giants. Regardless, winning 6 SBs and participating in 9 total is unmatched in the SB era. I get why people might think Brady gets a lot of breaks, but, he makes the most of the opportunitieshe gets much more often than not.

And really, it's hard to compare QBs from different teams and even more difficult to compare from different eras. Today's NFL is far more QB friendly than in previous eras and they are playing longer. It's a fun debate, and people (not directed at you Crescent) taking this as serious business need to chill. I'll save my venom for Mayfield, who cost me my ffl last week...2 points! Two!...grrr.

:9:

He won those because of great coaching, and a above average team all around him. Brees has never had that but once,

Wait what?

You think that of out of the fourteen years Brees has been with the Saints, he's only had an above-average team and good coaching in 2009 and 2019?

tf?

For me, it’s about who makes me want to rewind over and over again to see a play? Brees, Manning, and Brady are the first three that come to mind. The timing, the accuracy, and surgically dissecting a defense, especially Brees and Manning, are beautiful things to watch.

Manning has one play that I really enjoy rewinding and watching over and over again.

Here's the question: If you took either, and put them on the Cleveland Browns, would either even be in this discussion? Neither would have won any Superbowls. That's a given. Then, you have to ask the question that's already been brought up, and that's Superbowl rings, and the all-around teams Brady has played with, compared with Drew.

If you look at all the great QB's - Montanna, Elway, Favre, Manning, and so forth - they played for teams that want to win, and try to provide "teams" around them.

Look at Tim Couch. There is no question he had the talent to be a very good QB, but he went to the Browns. He had no O-Line, and was not allowed to grow to become what he possibly could have been. If you put either of our QB's we are talking about on the team he played for, what would they have done?

The GOAT discussion is fun. I still believe - and always will - that Drew is the better QB. He just hasn't had the teams around him Brady has.

PM: Manning is another prime example of this. If he had played for the Patriots, what would he have done? Rogers? Ryan? Any other talented QB that doesn't have a team around them?

Brady is 6-3 in Superbowls. I don’t like playing the what-if game but he could very well be 5-4 or 4-5 seeing as the majority of the Pats SB wins have come down to last second field goals, interceptions, or miraculous catches (Edelman vs Falcons).

You're right, I missed one. So imo he would've been 6-4 had the Saints gone to the Superbowl last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom