Tom Cruise’s Top Ten Non-Action Films (As ranked by imdb) (1 Viewer)

I didnt find a ton to quibble with here.. At #1 they have Rain Man; for me, the #1 spot should be basically a tie between Rain Man, A Few Good Men, and Jerry Maguire.. but okay... But they have Magnolia at #2- i strongly disagree with that , IMO Magnolia was highly overrated, though i would place Cruise’s individual PERFORMANCE in Magnolia as his second-best, right behind his best performance in Born on the 4th of July (which didnt even make this list of best movies, rightly so, it was average at best besides his role)... Also Intvw w/A Vampire is ranked WAY too high at #4, shouldn’t even have made the list, it was terrible.

Agree about interview- disagree strongly about Magnolia (not his performance, I think you have #1 & 2 correct)
But Magnolia was the best movie he’s been in

I like all of those movies. I think Top Gun should be included. Not really an action movie, IMO. (It's my all time favorite movie from when I was a kid so I am biased, obviously.)

I like all of those movies. I think Top Gun should be included. Not really an action movie, IMO. (It's my all time favorite movie from when I was a kid so I am biased, obviously.)

I definitely think a case could be made for including Top Gun.. especially in the place of Taps which i dont think has any business being on the list.

I definitely think a case could be made for including Top Gun.. especially in the place of Taps which i dont think has any business being on the list.
That was my reaction as well. I'd forgotten Taps even existed. It's a good movie, but Top Gun is better and was more about Maverick's history, relationship with Goose and the Navy, Goose dying, etc. The dogfight scenes are cool but they aren't essential to the plot of the movie.

So what makes it a non-action film? The fact that he doesn't do his little running scene in the film?

You didnt even read the list.

They specifically mention his running in Vanilla Sky, which is ranked at #8.

Vanilla Sky is one of those movies i saw in the theater , around the same time as Minority Report, niether of which I’ve ever watched again, but would like to.

Vanilla Sky is one of those movies i saw in the theater , around the same time as Minority Report, niether of which I’ve ever watched again, but would like to.
Vanilla Sky is truly underrated. Love that one.

Incidentally, 1999 had a ton of good to great films I remember seeing in the theater .. Besides Magnolia (which I mentioned disappointed me)- , i remember seeing American Beauty, Eyes Wide Shut, Blair Witch Project, Sixth Sense.. and the best of them all- Life is Beautiful.. and oh yeah, maybe not great but American Pie was a fun watch that summer.

I skimmed it - you're not the boss of me.

Incidentally, 1999 had a ton of good to great films I remember seeing in the theater .. Besides Magnolia (which I mentioned disappointed me)- , i remember seeing American Beauty, Eyes Wide Shut, Blair Witch Project, Sixth Sense.. and the best of them all- Life is Beautiful.. and oh yeah, maybe not great but American Pie was a fun watch that summer.
I was meh about Magnolia but only because of my expectations. I would probably like it more on a second viewing. That was a hell of a summer for movies though. You got that right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom