Tom Hanks to play Mr. Rogers... (1 Viewer)

I'm sure I will be in the minority, but color me unimpressed. I like Hanks as an actor, but, just judging by the trailer, I don't feel like he got the mannerisms or the cadence in Fred's way of speaking down at all. All I see is Tom Hanks doing cosplay as Mr Rogers. I could be wrong. Maybe after seeing the full movie, I'll be blown away. However, after watching the excellent documentary on HBO multiple times, I'm not feeling this.

I'm sure I will be in the minority, but color me unimpressed. I like Hanks as an actor, but, just judging by the trailer, I don't feel like he got the mannerisms or the cadence in Fred's way of speaking down at all. All I see is Tom Hanks doing cosplay as Mr Rogers. I could be wrong. Maybe after seeing the full movie, I'll be blown away. However, after watching the excellent documentary on HBO multiple times, I'm not feeling this.

Agreed. I hope he can pull it off because I watched a lot of Mr. Rogers growing up. I was fascinated with the train, the characters, stories and even the music.

I just don't see much Mr. Rogers in Hanks. That said, I'll give him credit if he does it well.

problem is Tom Hanks is an leading man movie star - which means he was a mega watt personality - sure it's a bit more 'aw, shucks' than Brad Pitt or other leading men, but it's not something he can turn off. for Mr Rogers, you'd need someone who can dial down the magnetism like a david Paymer or Brad douriff - but of course no one is going to put a 'disappear into their roles' type actor in the lead

The story as a whole looks interesting. Reporter looking to find a damaged or imperfect hero, probably realizes his own trauma and is helped by the one hero he interviewed who lived up to it.

Just my guess.

All I see is Tom Hanks doing cosplay as Mr Rogers. I could be wrong.

Same here. I love Tom Hanks and Mr. Rogers but everything seemed just slightly off in this tailer. All I saw in this clip was Forrest Gump doing a Mr Rogers impersonation.

Tom Hanks is a great actor but IMO what he does even better than act is choose roles. The fact that he took the script indicates to me it has a ton of potential and I am interested.

problem is Tom Hanks is an leading man movie star - which means he was a mega watt personality - sure it's a bit more 'aw, shucks' than Brad Pitt or other leading men, but it's not something he can turn off. for Mr Rogers, you'd need someone who can dial down the magnetism like a david Paymer or Brad douriff - but of course no one is going to put a 'disappear into their roles' type actor in the lead

I think Gary Oldman could do it, who I consider one of the most versatile actors ever.

I kept hearing Forrest Gump.

Maybe if it didn't lead off with him singing it wouldn't have been as jarring. The longer the clip goes on the more I get used to it. But there are certain words that definitely throws me into Forrest flashbacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom