Tom Kislingbury’s 2022 NFL defensive handbook (2 Viewers)

Rouxble

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I stumbled across this by accident, thought some here may find it interesting.

Who is Tom Kislingbury? I have no idea. But he apparently puts a considerable amount of effort in compiling/organizing defensive stats. The Saints start on slide 432.

Great read. Thanks for sharing! I love the drama of the offseason but I love actual football talk as well. This fella is really down on our Corners. I figured we'd be in a good shape there with Latt, Adebo, and Taylor. Hopefully Adebo was just dealing with a sophomore slump and Taylor can stay healthy.

I stumbled across this by accident, thought some here may find it interesting.

Who is Tom Kislingbury? I have no idea. But he apparently puts a considerable amount of effort in compiling/organizing defensive stats. The Saints start on slide 432.

Awesome find! There is so much good info. Takes on Davenport, Onyemata, and Tuttle seem spot on.

Captura de Pantalla 2023-03-17 a la(s) 14.37.21.png

Following his breakdown, the team has to replace an underperforming Onyemata, an average player like Tuttle, and a good edge that doesn´t finish in Davenport. The answer as of now is to bring in rotational players from the Chiefs and Jets. I looked up what he had to say about either Saunders or Shep and he was much more complementary of Shepherd. He did mention that the trio of Jordan, Dav and Granderson was strong, and that Granderson is a strong finisher. Overall, I still get the feeling the team needs to find at least two d-lineman in the draft that can rotate year 1 with Saunders-Shep and Jordan-Granderson. Don´t know if they can just hope Turner ups his game this year.
The team might need to draft a corner as well.

I’ve been saying for two years Adebo is not a CB but could excel at S. With his size his first step is a bit slow. For two years now in 3rd and long on many occasions it seems opponents scheme to get him in one on one on a fast WR and beat him up top. Saints first pick should be CB. If a DT grades higher go there but come right back at 40 to CB.

Captura de Pantalla 2023-03-17 a la(s) 14.37.21.png

Following his breakdown, the team has to replace an underperforming Onyemata, an average player like Tuttle, and a good edge that doesn´t finish in Davenport. The answer as of now is to bring in rotational players from the Chiefs and Jets. I looked up what he had to say about either Saunders or Shep and he was much more complementary of Shepherd. He did mention that the trio of Jordan, Dav and Granderson was strong, and that Granderson is a strong finisher. Overall, I still get the feeling the team needs to find at least two d-lineman in the draft that can rotate year 1 with Saunders-Shep and Jordan-Granderson. Don´t know if they can just hope Turner ups his game this year.
The team might need to draft a corner as well.
I’ve watched a few games each of Saunders and Shepherd. I would agree with his assessment of Saunders as a bargain bin DT, and I would say Shepherd shows some explosiveness going after the passer. The disclaimer on Shepherd is that, at least in the games I watched, he hardly plays in the first half, making him a fresh pass rusher against an offensive line that has already been battling Williams and Rankins for two quarters. He plays the bulk of his snaps in the third quarter before the starters come back in to close out the game. Both guys played limited snaps and will likely be asked to do a lot more for us.

I’ve also watched several games of our 2022 DT’s, I would say the reports of Onyemata being terrible have been greatly exaggerated. Tuttle is more replaceable but was still very sound. Both of those guys were better at avoiding reach blocks and holding the LOS than the two guys we brought in. Also, the DT position group as a whole was rarely to blame when we gave up big runs.

Great read. Thanks for sharing! I love the drama of the offseason but I love actual football talk as well. This fella is really down on our Corners. I figured we'd be in a good shape there with Latt, Adebo, and Taylor. Hopefully Adebo was just dealing with a sophomore slump and Taylor can stay healthy.
I don’t know how much his assessments come from watching the games versus PFF grading, I can tell some of his data comes from PFF but I don’t know where he is getting the alignment by snap data. I think I know where but that data costs $800.

I mention the PFF grading because both Adebo and Taylor graded poorly, and none of our CB’s outside of Lattimore graded above a 56. It would be easy to make a blanket statement off those numbers.

I don’t know how much his assessments come from watching the games versus PFF grading, I can tell some of his data comes from PFF but I don’t know where he is getting the alignment by snap data. I think I know where but that data costs $800.

I mention the PFF grading because both Adebo and Taylor graded poorly, and none of our CB’s outside of Lattimore graded above a 56. It would be easy to make a blanket statement off those numbers.
Good stuff. Thanks for this.

And good info on the DTs as well. I didn’t watch as closely as you did. But I agree that the takes on Onyemata have been a bit overly negative.

Not that he was “good” by any stretch. But he wasn’t terrible.

Feels like we replaced the guys who left with guys who performed about equal or maybe slightly worse, but at significantly less $. So I’m guessing we’ve got a bit more work to do there.

As far as his take on our DBs, that’s actually one thing I trust DA on. I’ve kinda wondered if part of the fallout between DA and Richard was about how DBs were used. Guess we’ll never know. But I feel decent about that group.

Good stuff. Thanks for this.

And good info on the DTs as well. I didn’t watch as closely as you did. But I agree that the takes on Onyemata have been a bit overly negative.

Not that he was “good” by any stretch. But he wasn’t terrible.

Feels like we replaced the guys who left with guys who performed about equal or maybe slightly worse, but at significantly less $. So I’m guessing we’ve got a bit more work to do there.

As far as his take on our DBs, that’s actually one thing I trust DA on. I’ve kinda wondered if part of the fallout between DA and Richard was about how DBs were used. Guess we’ll never know. But I feel decent about that group.
I agree on the DB’s, they seem pretty solid to me. I still think Onyemata was more good than he gets credit for, he would blow through defenders when pass rushing one on one. Since no one else seemed to command a double team, you know who always got one.

Shepherd shows flashes to replace that pass rushing ability, he just needs to show he can do it with more snaps. Saunders should be OK, but he has an odd stance at the LOS that seems to leave him susceptible to giving up leverage. As someone on a Chiefs forum said, he sometimes pops up like a jack-in-the-box. Here’s an example of it from the Super Bowl:

View attachment trim.3BBCF4E3-6FE6-48B4-8DB1-1A1BEF4EA324.MOV

I’ve been saying for two years Adebo is not a CB but could excel at S. With his size his first step is a bit slow. For two years now in 3rd and long on many occasions it seems opponents scheme to get him in one on one on a fast WR and beat him up top. Saints first pick should be CB. If a DT grades higher go there but come right back at 40 to CB.
Or they could just move Adebo to FS and Mathieu to slot full time then draft a SS late. Tyrann started his career in the slot and developed into a starting S. As players regress it’s usually back to what they were as a young player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom