Tom Waits (1 Viewer)

MPar98

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok,

So I am sipping my second Beam and 7 on the couch tonight, going through my DVR's recorded shows and am watching Tues. night's Daily Show with John Stewart, love that show.

His guest is Tom Waits...we have one here on the site, but this was the musician...his music is unlike anything Ive ever heard. I am not sure what to make of it...for some reason, its just very very unusual...can someone explain whats his deal?

Tom Waits is the greatest American musician ever, in my fan opinion. Surprisingly, he's relatively obscure in the US, but highly regarded by fellow musicians and his very loyal fans. Elsewhere, he is quite a hot commodity. To the average American music listener, he's probably more well known by popular musicians covering his songs, a la Rod Stewart (Downtown Train), Bruce Springsteen (Jersey Girl), the Eagles (Ol' 55), and on and on and on and on. Amongst musicians, he's an idol. He was invited to play with Roy Orbison on his Black and White Nights show.

Seems to be a much more interesting man and life beyond his music. If his music was interesting to you, you should absolutely investigate. It is difficult to describe him and a fan would feel insufficient in trying to take the responsibility to do so. It sounds crazy, cult-like, but it is fairly accurate. Immense talent.

He's got a thing for Norlins, too. Bless his soul. Cult-like, like I said. Go buy a few albums.

I always thought he was popular. I have been knowing who that guy was for a long time. He sounds like a old drunk who sings folk songs about the dark side of urban life in a minor key and usually recorded poorly.

that was the first time i saw him as well, he does have his own style, somewhat likey bob dylan in away -

He also sues a lot - as in lawsuits.

Check out -"Down By Law" I think its the best film ever made in New Orleans and the opening track is a great one done by Tom Waits. He also stars in the movie.

he played a funny drunk in the movie Short Cuts as well.

I liked the lyrics and music...the vocals on the other hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom